General Phantom question

EJY

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I take my phantom in the car with me fairly often, and a day or 2 ago I really wanted to listen to something with a lot of bass. So I flip on my subs and off we go. About 2 minutes later I remembered my phantom was in the car and immediately turned off my subs. The phantom has flown fine and I even recalibrate it before flying it again.

My question is, with the bird off, would the strong vibrations and air distortion coming off my subwoofers mess anything up?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well, I wanted to know if a prolonged exposure would lead to harm. Probably should have worded it differently lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

In general, it takes quite a lot to actually cause damage to the quad itself. I flew mine (in point-of-interest mode) into a tree and fell about 45 feet to the ground. It hit so hard that the top and bottom case shells momentarily separated enough for the battery to be ejected from the body and the gimbal yaw arm was bent. So I fixed the case, replaced the gimbal arm, recalibrated the IMU and the gimbal, and it's been perfectly fine ever since. If they can shrug off that kind of impact with only minor damage, I think they can handle quite a bit of vibration. Still, you might want to recalibrate the IMU periodically.

Cold IMU calibrations are recommend after new firmware or if the Phantom has been badly jostled. Compass calibrations should be done if the location is more than 50 (some say 100) miles away from the last one. If it's flying well, you're OK!

I took my P3P across the country, involving planes, cars, mountainous driving, etc., and totally forgot to recalibrate. It flew perfectly! And after bringing it back home, it was still fine!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1