General Discussion Forum

I think Ksc's suggestion is a good one. It's nice to have links like that on a forum. Remember, it was just a suggestion.

Random... but How do you get youtube videos to show on the forum? I've tried everything including the embed link and the youtube button... Thanks. Maybe Im doing it wrong.

Hello from Australia and this being my first post on here.
Question #1 I wish to purchase a phantom2 with a gimbal as I have a gopro3, but what is the best way to go?
I see so many gimbals for sale on the internet ranging in different prices, I have attached a couple for example.

Question #2 What accessories would you recommend to purchase at the same time. As I know for certain I will crash many times, so I am thinking extra blades or batteries? any info would be great.

Look forward to hearing from anyone in regards to what they would buy first up and any other information that may help me in my purchase as well as my first flight.
Have to say I have never flown an RC before except 2 little cheap ones I bought off the net and only inside the house.

Cheers
Bryan

Attachments

• gims.jpg
    gims.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 440
Hey fellow Aussie :)

If I were to start again, I'd probably go for a phantom 2 with the ZenMuse Gimbal.
Currently I have a phantom v1 and a tarot gimbal plus a bunch of other extras.

The $64 gimbal you have pictured doesn't have a control board with it, with out the control board the gimbal does nothing. The $107 one does appear to have the control board on it. Either way, I don't want to trash those gimbals, I've never used one and I'm sure people are getting decent video using them, but the tarot appears to be a slightly more popular choice, with minimal issues with setting up and updating etc.

With all that said, the H3-2D ZenMuse had its share of issues when it was first released by DJI, most of those appear to be sorted and the price has halved since it's release. Like I said above, if I were replacing my v1 I'd go with the zenmuse and v2 (non-vision) phantom because the v2 is more compatible with the zenmuse. To add the ZM on my V1 I'd need to replace the main board etc, I believe the v2 has the upgrade main board or better already installed.

Hi Driffill and thanks for the info. Where did you purchase your unit from Australia or overseas? Did you find it as easy to fly as a lot of the youtube videos show?

I bought my phantom from ARK RC in Melbourne, they also do online sales. I bought my tarot gimbal from china for about $200 but I have since seen them online slightly cheaper on various places (USA UK China).

My YouTube username is OneMadVan if you look at my vids you will see my progression but as for experience, before I bought the phantom I had no (airborne) RC experience, so I'd say yes it's as easy to fly as it looks . . .

So long as your not expecting to carry a lot of weight or flying it acrobatically the phantom is probably one of the best crafts to learn to fly with, I'm sure others would suggest buying a manual type copter and practice, and while that will improve your flying skills, it generally has a lot of crashing to start with, crashing things dents my enthusiasm.

Hi again Drifill,
Thanks again for the response and I was just looking at your video on your channel called "My new toy" was that the first time you had flown it ? If it was I cant get over how stable you flew it. When you fly it do you just watch it from the ground or do you use those goggles to see what it is seeing?

For the first few flights, up till the short flight local park I didn't have any kind of fpv equipment, I now have a 7" LCD screen on my controller. In the first few vids I had a habit of letting the phantom hover and turning the control to face the camera so you could see I had no control of it! I.E. it was hovering on its own ;)

Hi Driffill,
So I should look at a Phantom 2 with a ZENMUSE H3-2D GIMBAL. Can you buy them complete like that setup or do you have to buy them separately then put them together. Also for seeing what the Phantom is seeing what would you recommend?

aussiebryan said:
Hi Driffill,
So I should look at a Phantom 2 with a ZENMUSE H3-2D GIMBAL. Can you buy them complete like that setup or do you have to buy them separately then put them together. Also for seeing what the Phantom is seeing what would you recommend?

I don't wanna say that's exactly what you want, but that's what I'd get. As far as I know they usually come separate, but you should be able to request it to be assembled etc for an extra charge.

As for the FPV kit, if you want to stick with DJI you can get a DJI 5.8ghz video Transmitter and receiver (or cheaper Chinese ones), another item you will probably want is the iOSD mini, that allows flight data to be displayed on the screen being watched by the pilot (battery volt, roll/tilt, GPS strength, home direction and more).

Either way you will need an LCD screen an while there is plenty on eBay, make sure to use something with a high cd/m2 rating or you'll struggle to see it in bright sunlight. I bought a SkyLark FPV 7" monitor with 1000cd/m2 from memory, a little pricy but I know it does the job :)

A newbie here - I just got my Phantom with the H3-2D Zenmuse Gimbal as a Christmas gift that came all assembled as a upgraded kit from B&H. In the kit was a FPV monitor (4" ToteVision model LCD410). It came with audio and video cables, but nothing else. I have no idea what, or how, I'm supposed to hook this up electronically to make the monitor "see" what the camer's seeing.. What additional parts will I need to make this monitor work? Help!

Mark Picard said:
A newbie here - I just got my Phantom with the H3-2D Zenmuse Gimbal as a Christmas gift that came all assembled as a upgraded kit from B&H. In the kit was a FPV monitor (4" ToteVision model LCD410). It came with audio and video cables, but nothing else. I have no idea what, or how, I'm supposed to hook this up electronically to make the monitor "see" what the camer's seeing.. What additional parts will I need to make this monitor work? Help!

Mark, are you sure the only thing they installed in/on the Phantom was the Zenmuse? They may have installed an FPV transmitter on the aircraft. If not, you'll need that in addition to a receiver on the ground end to connect to the monitor. The video output from the camera will then be broadcast over that setup for you to watch on the monitor.

Was the 4" monitor on the list of accessories in the bundle you ordered? It does seem weird they'd include that but no FPV Transmitter/Revceiver.

OI Photography said:
Mark Picard said:

Mark, are you sure the only thing they installed in/on the Phantom was the Zenmuse? They may have installed an FPV transmitter on the aircraft. If not, you'll need that in addition to a receiver on the ground end to connect to the monitor. The video output from the camera will then be broadcast over that setup for you to watch on the monitor.

Was the 4" monitor on the list of accessories in the bundle you ordered? It does seem weird they'd include that but no FPV Transmitter/Revceiver.

Turns out I did get the transmitter/receiver and the transmitter is indeed installed on the copter. I also have the receiver. But other than the parts, I have no idea how to correctly wire the receiver (both transmitter and receiver have their own antennas too) to the monitor. The monitor has it's own battery pack. Does the receiver get it's power from the monitor once they're connected? In the box were a few wiring setups and I assume one of them is the correct one. It also came with a adapter to switch one of the wires to an RCA end? Again, I'm not an electronics person, and basically am flying blind here! Unfortunately there is no instruction/wiring manual with this kit. Thanks again!

I am new to this site and have registered. I am also new to Phantom and have version 1.1.1 and need to ask a question about an issue I am having with the flight range. I am unable to post a new topic even though I am registered. Is this something the administrator has to allow me to do?

Thanks for your help

Manny

Can anyone tell me if you fly indoors Phantom 2 vision will it still huver with no GPS

Very curious: the disappearance of Colin Quinn! Hey, DJI: Those tutorials were very important! What did you do with Colin?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl