General battery question

Reaction score
Given the apparent risk of battery damage / fire when charging, and from what I've read the advice to charge batteries in fireproof pouches, why are the balancer connections so short? This makes it almost impossible to situate the battery away from the charger in some sort of container...

I don't profess to know exactly but it might be that wire has internal resistance albeit very small but the longer the wire the higher the resistance and since the balance requirements are so critical charging lipo batteries you would want your measurements to be as accurate as possible extending the cable may cause your measurements to be off slightly and from what I've read it only takes a little overcharging to burn out lipos. It also might just be a cost issue if your making a million of these things copper wire adds up.

Brian

I don't know why the Phantom batteries have such short balance wires. All my aftermarket Lipos for both the Phantom and mt F550 have long leads.
You can't overcharge Lipos if you have a decent charger. The one that comes with the phantom is OK but not very useful as it doesn't tell you how many mAh you have put back in to the batteries. If you want to keep your batteries in top condition invest in a decent charger like a Turnigy Accucel 6.

Really? that's not what I've read elsewhere...

What batteries have you got that have longer balancing wires? I've bought Turnigy and Overlander 3S batteries, and they all have short balancing wires.

Century and Turnigy Nano-Tech have longer balance leads than the Phantom battery that came with the quad. I've installed the pulling clips on all the batteries except the Phantom. Charging and placing the LiPo in a bag is easier, as is hooking up accessories on the Phantom with the longer balance cables.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl