G'day from Down Under

Reaction score
Hi all.
Thanks for having me aboard.
CQ'ing from Australia and no, we don't have to fly drones upside down here!
I'm on a bit of a mission. And I'd welcome any input from anyone of you experienced flyers both amateur or professional.
My business partner and I are taking on the role of establishing what we understand will be Australia's first Drone Photography Franchise business, with the full support and branding of an extremely successful, highly regarded, much trusted and emphatically 'customer focused' existing franchise group. So we are pretty sure we are on a winner.
'Photography and Drones' will be added to an existing 42 home and professional services within the group (over 4000 franchises in Aus, New Zealand, Canada and UK).
This will be the first Drone Photography division. It's kicking off here and eventually it'll roll out in the overseas territories.

Our thoughts were that we'd be interviewing existing pilots (with experience, whether commercial or just hobby), with an interest in starting their own business (or rebranding or co-branding their existing business) under the well known brand name.
I'm putting this out on this forum hoping to garner any advice or information regards possible pitfalls, areas of concern as well as advice on potential equipment suitable to supply to a new franchisee and basically any suggestions or comments that might help us make this the most fun business anyone could own!
We thought a good idea might be to select one drone pilot or business operator whom we'd 'gift' a franchise to. This could be in exchange for assistance in the nuts and bolts side of the scene.
But in the meantime I'm really hoping some of you guys and girls can chime in with your thoughts or creative suggestions.
Thanks for hearing me out and I hope to gain a lot of knowledge and inspiration from all you experienced operators out there. Thanks again for having us on board.
Looking forward to hearing from you's!
Mark Hill

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
I can't see the market here supporting a Jims drone services type franchise model. Most clients will require certificate of currency for liability insurance which requires operator licensing, approvals, and significant training and cost. With the sub 2kg relaxation in commercial use there are many more punters competing for the lower end jobs.

Thanks for your advice. Is it ok to continue this thread here or should I move it?
Can you possibly explain what is happening with the Sub 2kg limit? Is it that any sub 2kg drone can operate commercially without certification?
We would expect to include licensing and training within the franchise package with liability insurance being required to be undertaken by the operator. This is of course for non existing business operators. Existing commercial operators would have most of that in place would that not be the case?

I take it that you're implying that it will be allowed that sub 2kg drones will be able to operate commercially without need to have CASA licensing?

Hi all. Thanks for having me aboard.
CQ'ing from Australia and no, we don't have to learn to fly drones upside down!
I'm here on a mission. And I'm seeking any input from you experienced flyers both amateur or professional.
My business partner and I are taking on the task of establishing what we believe will be Australia's first Drone Photography Franchise business.
It will fall under the umbrella of the countries most recognised and highly regarded and trusted franchise organisation.
' ?? Photography and Drones' will be one of currently 42 completely different home and professional services divisions within the group which currently has over 4000 franchises in not only Oz but New Zealand, Canada and UK.
This will be the first Drone Photography franchise division and it will start here and eventually will be rolled out in the overseas markets.
I personally have never flown a Drone. My background was and still is, in the professional stills photography field. I probably don't intend on learning to fly one either.
Our aproach will be to find existing pilots who have enough experience (whether it be in a commercial sense or just as a hobby), and who would be interested in starting their own business or rebranding (or co-branding) their existing business under the well known franchise name.
I'm putting this out on this forum hoping to garner any advice or information regards possible pitfalls, areas of concern as well as advice on potential equipment suitable to supply to a new franchisee and basically any suggestions or comments that might help Drone Newbies like us to find our feet in this task.
Our aim is to eventually find a local operator here to whom we can 'gift' a franchise to in exchange for assistance in the nuts and bolts side of the scene, but in the meantime I'm really hoping some of you guys and girls can chime in with your thoughts.
Thanks for hearing me out and I hope to gain a lot of knowledge and inspiration from all you experienced operators out there.
Cheers. Mark Hill

Welcome Aboard Mark!
And Good Luck with your new Business.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)
Thank you. I've realised this. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj