Gaui GV-100 Vision FPV System (5.8ghz video downlink)

Reaction score
I have just upgraded to the Zenmuse H3 2D gimbal with the new board. I have a three wire feed (its shades of brown) that is pluged into the board and goes down the leg.
I will be purchasing the Gaui GV-100 Vision FPV System (5.8ghz video downlink).

Can anyone tell me how to wire this to my Phantom with the above accessories.

If I recall correctly (which is always a dangerous way to start!) the Gaui vTX has two Molex connectors. One (3-wire) is for the OSD sensor (which I don't think you will use since it works with the Gaui master controller, the GU-INS) and the other (6-wire) is for the video feed and power.

Since the Phantom can send +12V power to your video transmitter over that 3-wire cable, you might consider using that to power your Gaui transmitter. The only caution I would give you is that the Gaui is spec'd for +12V input, so it may cut out once your battery voltage drops below +11V or so. Some people report losing their video TX feed when pulling a lot of current such as at full throttle. If that happens to you, you might need to put in a separate battery for the Gaui.

Basically the 3-wire cable from the upgrade board looks like this:

- Yellow wire (video signal OUT from your GoPro)
- Red wire (VCC, which means your battery voltage; nominally 12V, but will drop as your LiPo pack depletes)
- Brown wire (ground)

Take those wires and connect as follows to the Gaui 6-wire cable:

- Yellow from Phantom -> Yellow on Gaui (Video IN)
- Red from Phantom -> Far right end red wire on Gaui (not the one in the middle, which is V+ out to a camera, not needed)
- Brown from Phantom -> BOTH black wires on Gaui (tie all three together)

If the Gaui shares GND it *may* not be necessary to tie both blacks on the Gaui to the brown from the Phantom, but you have a single ground in the system so it won't hurt anything.

If you end up deciding you need a separate battery to run the Gaui TX, then you'll connect that to the far right set of red/black wires on the Gaui, and the middle black wire will remain connected to the brown wire from the Phantom.

Hope that helps!

WOW thanks Mr MediaGuy. It is just the info I needed. I will post the results as soon as the Gaui GV-100 arrives and is wired.

Cheers

MrMediaGuy said:
If I recall correctly (which is always a dangerous way to start!) the Gaui vTX has two Molex connectors. One (3-wire) is for the OSD sensor (which I don't think you will use since it works with the Gaui master controller, the GU-INS) and the other (6-wire) is for the video feed and power.

Since the Phantom can send +12V power to your video transmitter over that 3-wire cable, you might consider using that to power your Gaui transmitter. The only caution I would give you is that the Gaui is spec'd for +12V input, so it may cut out once your battery voltage drops below +11V or so. Some people report losing their video TX feed when pulling a lot of current such as at full throttle. If that happens to you, you might need to put in a separate battery for the Gaui.

Basically the 3-wire cable from the upgrade board looks like this:

- Yellow wire (video signal OUT from your GoPro)
- Red wire (VCC, which means your battery voltage; nominally 12V, but will drop as your LiPo pack depletes)
- Brown wire (ground)

Take those wires and connect as follows to the Gaui 6-wire cable:

- Yellow from Phantom -> Yellow on Gaui (Video IN)
- Red from Phantom -> Far right end red wire on Gaui (not the one in the middle, which is V+ out to a camera, not needed)
- Brown from Phantom -> BOTH black wires on Gaui (tie all three together)

If the Gaui shares GND it *may* not be necessary to tie both blacks on the Gaui to the brown from the Phantom, but you have a single ground in the system so it won't hurt anything.

If you end up deciding you need a separate battery to run the Gaui TX, then you'll connect that to the far right set of red/black wires on the Gaui, and the middle black wire will remain connected to the brown wire from the Phantom.

Hope that helps!

These wires are very fine? I guess I can solder them OK?? To the larger wiress or should them be clamped??

Cheers

phantomfrank said:
I have just upgraded to the Zenmuse H3 2D gimbal with the new board. I have a three wire feed (its shades of brown) that is pluged into the board and goes down the leg.

phantomfrank - please post back your experience with the install of your GV-100, I've been looking one myself. Could I ask where you got it? A lot of places are out of stock.

lilwheat said:
phantomfrank said:

phantomfrank - please post back your experience with the install of your GV-100, I've been looking one myself. Could I ask where you got it? A lot of places are out of stock.

I have not gotten mines as yet its in transit. But Hobby-drones.com have them in stock?? I will post the results of my exprience with the install and the first flight.

phantomfrank said:
These wires are very fine? I guess I can solder them OK?? To the larger wiress or should them be clamped??

Cheers

Yep, you can solder them. It's harder to strip them than to solder them. :) You should slip on a small piece of heat shrink tubing that just barely fits over the larger wire before you make the connection, then after you solder slip it down and heat it up to shrink it. Better than putting on tape or something. You can use a crimp connection if you want, but solder is generally better.

If you get interference in your video from the motors or ESCs, wrap the video wires a few times through a ferrite ring on their way to the Gaui; that should filter out most of that.

MrMediaGuy said:
phantomfrank said:

Cheers

Yep, you can solder them. It's harder to strip them than to solder them. :) You should slip on a small piece of heat shrink tubing that just barely fits over the larger wire before you make the connection, then after you solder slip it down and heat it up to shrink it. Better than putting on tape or something. You can use a crimp connection if you want, but solder is generally better.

If you get interference in your video from the motors or ESCs, wrap the video wires a few times through a ferrite ring on their way to the Gaui; that should filter out most of that.

It sure is nice to have such knowledge with this forum!!! Hat of to you!!!

Works well with the gimbal but be aware that to get good range, you have to ensure that the stock antennae (linearly polarised) are oriented in the same direction throughout the flight.

Range drops significantly if trees obscure your view. Line of sight flying is required by law for a good reason!

Overall, FPV flight needs visual retraining. Objects are far closer than one thinks in view of the wide angle perspective from the GoPro. This is particularly true when flying near a forested area.

MenaceCat said:
Works well with the gimbal but be aware that to get good range, you have to ensure that the stock antennae (linearly polarised) are oriented in the same direction throughout the flight.
Range drops significantly if trees obscure your view. Line of sight flying is required by law for a good reason!
Overall, FPV flight needs visual retraining. Objects are far closer than one thinks in view of the wide angle perspective from the GoPro. This is particularly true when flying near a forested area.

What do you mean with the above statement??? "Linearly Polarised"

Can you still go around a few trees without complete loss of transmission??

I will be staying away from trees. I really only want this so I can view what the GoPro is shooting. I should have it by the 18th so says Fedex...

phantomfrank said:
I will be staying away from trees. I really only want this so I can view what the GoPro is shooting. I should have it by the 18th so says Fedex...

That's my same reason for FPV, not to fly in the blind, more so that I can see what the GoPro is seeing. I'm often looking to get nice landscape shots but have missed quite a few opportunities because I was 'guessing'. Also, my daughter is going to get a kick out of watching the screen while I fly.

I ordered from RC-Drones on Thursday and it showed up on Saturday (got lucky for once). I also ordered the Zenmuse and it came with the Naza M V2 which I guess I won't be using because I have an upgrade board. It was included with the Zenmuse from RC-Drones for $699.. hm.

I'll be working on getting this up and running this week and coming weekend.

I got my Gaui GV- 100 TODAY only one day late. I followed the instruction for wiring as above . It was simple.. it works wonderfully . The system has new tpye of screw on antennas.I have enclosed a few photos of the set up. Sorry its say I have my quota in photos. I have not even put any up???

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CHARGER IS NEEDED FOR THE GAUI GV-100 VISION MONITOR. IT HAS A SMALL 11.1MAH LIPO BATTERY.
How do I charge this battery??
I have a Balance Charger BC20-4 that I use to charge my DJI Phantom Batteries. Can I use this to charge. If so what adapter do I need as the 11.1 v lipo has small fittings that do not fit into the BC20-4 charger.

phantomfrank said:
I got my Gaui GV- 100 TODAY only one day late. I followed the instruction for wiring as above . It was simple.. it works wonderfully . The system has new tpye of screw on antennas.I have enclosed a few photos of the set up. Sorry its say I have my quota in photos. I have not even put any up???

Frank - Since the photos didn't work, I was wondering where you fixed the vision transmitter. When I followed the upgrade board installation instructions, it had me run the video cable down the same hole as the compass which leaves the 5.8GHz transmitter antenna between the compass and the 2.4GHz receiver antenna for the phantom.

On this video showing a phantom + GV-100, it looks like his video cable was routed down one of the front legs. http://youtu.be/eskdJQItqbk?t=1m48s

I'm assuming it's best to keep it clear of the 2.4GHz antenna for the phantom, but it's ok to be near the compass?

I also thought that my antenna was going to be the wire type. They must have changed there system. The wire would fit better under the body. That is why I put it in the back sideways.

How do you charge the battery for the MONITOR??????

What is the helipal mount??

phantomfrank said:
I also thought that my antenna was going to be the wire type. They must have changed there system. The wire would fit better under the body. That is why I put it in the back sideways.

How do you charge the battery for the MONITOR??????

What is the helipal mount??
I was going to see if I could get a short length of some slotted carbon fiber material to make a brace between each set of landing gear so that I'll have a place to mount the fpv transmitter permanently. Haven't located the material that I'm looking for yet though.

Great question, I'm actually going to take apart the receiver module when I get home tonight. I'm thinking you must remove the battery to charge it. I found a post on another forum here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1890460 that notes specifically that the guy added an external connector to allow charging without removing the battery. Hope this helps.

I do not know how he did it. But when I took mine apart it has a small connector. We would need some type of fitting to fit into the balance charger.
I wish the company that makes these would do a better job of outlining the need equipment for up keep.If you find out please let me know or vica versa.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1