Garden of the Gods - Colorado

Reaction score
I flew the Garden of the Gods earlier this year, before they made it illegal to fly there (they now have signs posted.) This was one of my earlier flights and looking back I have to agree that there are certain places we probably shouldn't fly; the Garden of the Gods is one of them. Too many birds nesting, bighorn sheep, people seeking solitude.

http://youtu.be/UN6_mIuazCw

Very nice. I had never heard of that place before, and I must say it is very dramatic scenery. Is it a National Park, is that why drones are not allowed any more? Otherwise it appeared to be some pretty wide open spaces and a good subject for this kind of filming.

I was hoping you were about to fly through that hole in the rocks at the beginning of the video.(Easy for me to say because it would not have been my phantom, if you did crash.. ;) :p

Again, thanks, I did enjoy seeing this video.

Thanks for the kind words, Khudson7. It's not a National Park but there are some (fairly obscure) city regulations that make it illegal to fly. But then again, the same regulations (1 paragraph) also makes passing a football in a park illegal unless in a "designated area." Regardless, the Garden of the Gods is one of those places that probably should be reserved for quiet reflection. Now if they'd just make Harley Davidson motorcycles illegal!

I was gearing up to fly through the hole. I was researching to determine the actual diameter of the hole, bought some Moverio's for FPV, and spent a lot of time practicing going through fences (I show that at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7KePyieRU) Once I found out it was illegal and then gave it some more thought, I abandoned the plan. Wouldn't that be cool though?!

Nice shooting Silverminer,

I'm pleased to see some great footage of such a spectacular place before the they's shut it down to us. I've been all over the states and never knew Garden of the Gods existed. I can see a road trip in my future. Maybe I'll wait for some of those noisy bikes to disrupt the peace and quiet and sneak a quick fly, away from all the birds that were getting in your face. :lol:

Thanks for sharing

IflyinWY said:

I'm pleased to see some great footage of such a spectacular place before the they's shut it down to us. I've been all over the states and never knew Garden of the Gods existed. I can see a road trip in my future. Maybe I'll wait for some of those noisy bikes to disrupt the peace and quiet and sneak a quick fly, away from all the birds that were getting in your face. :lol:

Thanks for sharing

Well worth the road trip, IflyinWY. Along the same fault-line that created the Garden of the Gods and just about 1 mile away, is Red Rock Canyon Open Space where flying is allowed. I posted an unedited video of that at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgKUkcBf48. There are lots of great places to fly in the area with one of my favorites being Cripple Creek, Colorado, an old mining town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HND5PbQ1ods)

I'm assuming you're in Wyoming based on your pseudonym. Lots of open space there and some really interesting geology. If you could just get the wind to die down for a bit you'd have it made! "It made it to 60 today." "That sounds nice." "No, that's the wind speed."

Love your video's! I'm up the hill in Woodland Park. I've got to get a gimbal so I can improve my videos, so jealous!

Silverminer said:
IflyinWY said:

I'm pleased to see some great footage of such a spectacular place before the they's shut it down to us. I've been all over the states and never knew Garden of the Gods existed. I can see a road trip in my future... :lol:

Thanks for sharing

Well worth the road trip, IflyinWY...
I'm assuming you're in Wyoming based on your pseudonym. Lots of open space there and some really interesting geology. If you could just get the wind to die down for a bit you'd have it made! "It made it to 60 today." "That sounds nice." "No, that's the wind speed."

Yep, Wyoming it is. We hit 53 yesterday. Wish those high numbers weren't the breeze. I could have floated almost all the way there in about 9 hours. :eek:

What a great place.
Thanks for sharing that mate. Glad you managed to get some aerial footage of it before the bands came into play.
Great video too with perfect matching music.
hope to see more of your work.
Angelo - Australia

Thanks for all the encouragement (although one of them came from someone called "cokeaddict" so I'm not sure it counts - just kidding.) It's nice we have this new way to capture and share the scenery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl