Gains Adj. Topic ONLY for P2/STOCK RADIO/H3-2D/GOPRO/FPV

Reaction score
There are a lot of people that are having trouble figuring out what Gain settings to change and by how much to get the desired performance from there P2 when using the Stock Radio Transmitter, Zenmuse Gimbal, GoPro H3 and FPV. Myself included.

This especially holds true for people using it to shoot pro video.

Please only post your experiences, settings and what you have figured out with regards to the Gains Adjustment available in the P2 Assistant Software.

Please just post if you are using the STOCK RADIO TRANSMITTER and your P2 has the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal with a GoPro Hero 3 series camera and a FPV Setup.

P2, Zenmuse H3-2D, iosd mini, Boscam 600mw FPV w/Blue Beam Ultra Antenna.

Here are my current Settings:

Nazam Mode.

Basic Gain_________Pitch 160% Roll 160% Yaw 150% Vertical 190%

Attitude Gain_______Pitch 200% Roll 200%

I am still testing these gains.
I am still not sure about when exactly the Attitude Gains come into play. Is it just when flying in Attitude Mode?
The Yaw Gain seems to be of most concern for those shooting pro video.

I normally fly in GPS Mode not ATTi Mode. Reason is I shoot homes and my shots are tracking shots while rotating and changing altitude and I've found when I go to Atti Mode, There is a lot more unwanted drift.

Xrover said:
I am still not sure about when exactly the Attitude Gains come into play. Is it just when flying in Attitude Mode?

Rule of thumb for gains - the top 4 Pitch, Roll,YAW & Vertical - are how the craft reacts to wind etc. The atti gains - are how the craft reacts to stick input here's link to explanation - http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean

Refer to Wookong/Naza explanation in middle of page. Hope this helps clear any confusion.

EMCSQUAR said:
Xrover said:

Rule of thumb for gains - the top 4 Pitch, Roll,YAW & Vertical - are how the craft reacts to wind etc. The atti gains - are how the craft reacts to stick input here's link to explanation - http://www.dji.com/info/spotlight/what- ... -gain-mean

Refer to Wookong/Naza explanation in middle of page. Hope this helps clear any confusion.

Thanks EMSCQUAR
Good info! I've read that one before. My main issue is with the Yaw Gain. When flying forward or backwards trying to remain on a straight course in gps mode, the nose yaws back and forth totally ruining a video shot. Taking the info from the link, it is still vague on how to adjust the yaw gain so that it will lessen constant the yaw deviation. Would that back and forth yawing effect translate to what they mean by Oscillation?

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but it's more a trial & error thing dependant on how you have yours set and the weight. Temp, winds, etc also play into the equation. With the stock TX YAW is a challenge especially if you fly alot in GPS mode. In atti it's better. I jumped to a Futaba TX where I can dial in multiple settings for YAW (even automate it) while in flight but the DJI link/explanation gives a good baseline to start with. When I used stock TX I upped the yaw to 140 and it improved that "tail waggle" or bounce from side to side. Try atti mode and try to (if possible)postion yourself upwind of your target and drift into or past it.

Thanks !!

Eventually I will change to the Futaba but for now I am stuck with Stock.
Which Futaba are you using?
Can you also easily control the gimble tilt speed and smoothness?

I am hoping someone who has fixed there yawing problem with the stock setup will post there gain findings. I've gone from 220 to 160 which seemed to help but I've found that it comes back sometimes.

Unfortunately when filming, sometimes you are limited on where you can shoot from.

There is a lot of good information in this thread here;http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6817
Controlling the "tail wagging" in the yaw axis, in GPS mode, is really tough-and, is the reason a lot of people are purchasing the TPPacks 3rd axis add-on.
My only advise is; turn your gimbal tilt lever into X1 channel, and select Yaw, in gains, in the drop down menu change from INH to X1. Now, move your gimbal tilt lever, and make sure the gain values are changing. If they are-you're ready to go out and do some flight testing.
Before changing that drop down menu from INH to X1-make sure your gimbal tilt lever is in the middle.
Also-while you are adjusting the gains with your gimbal tilt lever-your gimbal will still tilt. So, don't rely on flying be reference to FPV during this adjustment phase, as the camera may well be pointed almost straight down. And, don't try to adjust the camera-you're using the Tilt Lever as gain adjustment.

I don't have a P2, so my gains may not be of any use to you. In fact, I highly recommend you use the above method to individually tailor your gain values to the type of flying conditions you fly in, and the weight of your aircraft.

I've had my Yaw gains set from 230 down to 150. I think I'm at 170 now, I'd have to look. But, it's surprisingly not very sensitive.
Some prefer the higher number......and, I may go back to 230.

There are only 2 ways to eliminate your issue; get a 3rd axis add-on.....or, use Atti mode, and the "wind drift" method. A lot of this will come with practice.

Xrover said:
Thanks !!

Eventually I will change to the Futaba but for now I am stuck with Stock.
Which Futaba are you using?
Can you also easily control the gimble tilt speed and smoothness?

I have Futaba T8J and yes I can control gimble tilt speed. I did this recently to torment friend who uses "flight audio tracks" in his videos - at the 1:25 you can see gimble roll up. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNSiutAl-s

havasuphoto said:
There is a lot of good information in this thread here;http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6817
Controlling the "tail wagging" in the yaw axis, in GPS mode, is really tough-and, is the reason a lot of people are purchasing the TPPacks 3rd axis add-on.
My only advise is; turn your gimbal tilt lever into X1 channel, and select Yaw, in gains, in the drop down menu change from INH to X1. Now, move your gimbal tilt lever, and make sure the gain values are changing. If they are-you're ready to go out and do some flight testing.
Before changing that drop down menu from INH to X1-make sure your gimbal tilt lever is in the middle.
Also-while you are adjusting the gains with your gimbal tilt lever-your gimbal will still tilt. So, don't rely on flying be reference to FPV during this adjustment phase, as the camera may well be pointed almost straight down. And, don't try to adjust the camera-you're using the Tilt Lever as gain adjustment.

I don't have a P2, so my gains may not be of any use to you. In fact, I highly recommend you use the above method to individually tailor your gain values to the type of flying conditions you fly in, and the weight of your aircraft.

I've had my Yaw gains set from 230 down to 150. I think I'm at 170 now, I'd have to look. But, it's surprisingly not very sensitive.
Some prefer the higher number......and, I may go back to 230.

There are only 2 ways to eliminate your issue; get a 3rd axis add-on.....or, use Atti mode, and the "wind drift" method. A lot of this will come with practice.

I have been looking for a 3 axis gimbal to replace my H3-2d. I checked out the addon you mentioned as well as the Arris cm3000.
Not sure what the quality/reliabilty is on those. Weight is also a factor.
Any opinions?

I guess the new 3 axis Zemuse gimbal wasn't released when you were discussing what gimbal to get. I'm sure that would be the one to replace your existing Zemuse gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie