gain settings

S

sandman259

i just noticed on the gain settings pitch,roll,yaw,and vertical, that there all set at 100%. It gives a range of 80-120%. I wonder if you put them all at 120% it would go faster? You would think putting more pitch in it would achieve this. If its limited in the firmware then why even give the option if it doesn't change anything?

i just noticed on the gain settings pitch,roll,yaw,and vertical, that there all set at 100%. It gives a range of 80-120%. I wonder if you put them all at 120% it would go faster? You would think putting more pitch in it would achieve this. If its limited in the firmware then why even give the option if it doesn't change anything?
try it and come back with result's

cant hurt am curious if you get more speed

The DJI design engineers already worked out the best setting for you and getting more speed isn't as simple as cranking up the gains.
Unless you know what you are doing with the gain settings and you have a particular reason to adjust them, they should be left at default values.

Examples of where gain setting changes may be usefull include addition of carbon fibre props where the increased stiffness may provide for a quicker application of thrust (less flex) of flyimg at higher altitudes where you have less air density (reduced respose to stick inputs).

Playing with gains may cause a noticible instability in descent (especially when commanding reduced speed) so be careful.

I've already been down that road. I don't think I've seen any faster response, nor the quad flying faster. So, weeks went by didn't think much of it, but notice the phantom would shake. Not often but at hovering at eye level. Thought it was time to replace all props. Changed all props to new, notice the slight shake. Took off all the props and check balance. All were spot on. Still a slight shake. Goosed the throttle, it would go away, and in an eye level hover, very slight shake. Yep, remembered the gain settings, put them back to 100 and all was well. Your mileage may vary...

Have done a lot of playing with DJI gain setting on projects using the Naza FC. The gains are adjustable to tune the bird for maximum stability with different equipment configurations. As experienced by @Darmie, setting pitch and roll gains too high will cause the bird to shake as the FC overcompensates when trying to level. Too low and it will be sluggish. Gain adjustment could be useful if you modify your P3, i.e. outboard batteries, beefed up landing gear, or anything that adds or removes weight or shifts the CG. Increasing gains will not make it faster.

Reactions: 8orax and Vertigo
Have done a lot of playing with DJI gain setting on projects using the Naza FC. The gains are adjustable to tune the bird for maximum stability with different equipment configurations. As experienced by @Darmie, setting pitch and roll gains too high will cause the bird to shake as the FC overcompensates when trying to level. Too low and it will be sluggish. Gain adjustment could be useful if you modify your P3, i.e. outboard batteries, beefed up landing gear, or anything that adds or removes weight or shifts the CG. Increasing gains will not make it faster.

At last someone who knows what he's talking about. You're post is spot on.

What DJI calls "gains" refers to the flight controller PID values. If you want to know what that is, head over to youtube. The TL DR is above here.

my question is since I added trackimo and lights to it should I adjust the gain for the added weight

Not necessarily.

Note the values, make changes, evaluate flight(s)... you decide! ;)

While hovering momentarily input hard pitch or roll and see how the bird reacts. If it is slow to recover, more pitch/roll gain may help.
will try thanks

Now you have something else to tweak and 'worry about'. ;):p

Reactions: 8orax

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan