Gain settings for loaded Phantom1 with 9443 props

Reaction score
So Ive had my Phantom 1 for a year now and never really did much with it except flew it stock as is with just a anti-jello mount with my Go Pro. I finally caved and bought a Beholder Lite gimbal with Alexmos controller and also a 400mw 5.8ghz transmitter coming back to a 7" screen mounted on my remote.

On first test I flew with my stock 8" props and it took off just fine, no issues, used the stock default gains, no adjustments to it. Seemed fine. I got it to run about 4-5mins on my stock 2200mah LiPo.

Im going to intend on running dual batteries with the side mount carbon fiber mounts (already on) just wanted to get it working right on single battery first.

Now here is the issue. I went ahead and got a set of 9443 props. Got a set of plastic ones first to try, then also got a set of balanced 9443 CF props (but wont use those yet until I got it working on the plastic ones). I put the 9443 plastic props on, again didn't modify the gains, and I could not get it to even take off. It acted like it JUST was about to lift off but couldn't. It basically just moves on the floor.

So then I took the Vertical Gain from stock which was 100 to 140 and tried again, still same thing. Cannot get the phantom to take off, it just seems its on the verge of taking off but cant get over the hump. If I put the stock 8" props, it has no issues.

My total weight with dual batteries will be 1349g. With just the single 2200mah lipo it will only be about 1134g.

What am I doing wrong? Should my gains be much higher? I saw the DJI manual said for something near that weight to go with something like 170, 170, 150, 140, 170/170 (Pitch, Roll, Yaw, Vertical, Pitch Attitude/Roll Attitude).

I would've thought simple going to 140 on the vertical would've been enough.

Finally Ive confirmed a few times to make sure the 9443 props are on there correctly. Ive matched it side by side with the 8" props that should be on those positions to make sure Im clearly not putting them on in the wrong place or backwards, not to mention it definitely wants to lift. So if I had them mounted wrong or incorrect I know it can tip it self over or airflow coming from the top instead of bottom.

Thanks
Dixit

Gain settings won't effect lift, thrust, etc.
Here is a brief tutorial on what the Naza gain settings do cut/pasted from this page (warning-Ching-lish):
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... ot_Setting

If gain is too large, you will find the multi-rotor oscillating in the corresponding direction (About 5~10Hz). If too small, the multi-rotor will likely to be hard to control. So you can still setup the basic Gain of Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Vertical manually according to your multi-rotor to have a wonderful fly experience. We suggest you to change 10% to 15% of the parameter at a time.

To the gains of Pitch and Roll, if you release the Pitch or Roll stick after command stick, multi-rotor should be back to hovering state. If the reaction of multi-rotor in this procedure is too soft (large delay), please increase the basic gain slowly (10%-15% each time)until vibration emerges after you release the stick. Then decrease the gain a little until vibration just disappears. Now the gain is perfect, but the reaction of the attitude change is slow. You can follow the way introduced at the end of this section to tune the attitude gains.

The way of tuning the Yaw gain is the same as the way of adjusting the Tail Gyro. If you want fast stick reaction speed, increase the gain, otherwise decrease the gain. However, the spin of multi-rotor is produced by the counter torque force, and the magnitude of which is limited. Therefore, large gain will not produce tail vibration like helicopter, but severe reaction at the start or stop of motors, which will affect the stabilization of the other directions.

You use two methods to judge if the Vertical gain is good enough: 1) The multi-rotor can lock the altitude when the throttle stick is at center position; 2) The change of altitude is small during the flight along a route. You can increase the gain slowly (10% each time) until the vibration emerges along the vertical direction or the reaction of throttle stick is too sensitive, then decrease 20% of the gain. Now it is a suitable Vertical gain.

Attitude gains determine the reaction speed of attitude from command stick, the bigger the value the quicker the reaction. Increase it for sharper and quicker leveling action after command stick released. Unstable shaking flying and the control feeling will be stiffness and rigid if the value is too high; and sluggish leveling action and slow braking if too small.

Ok so then if its not the gains technically, Im going to venture a guess its most likely these 9443 plastic props. Since when I put the 8" ones on there it takes off no issues. So maybe I will just throw my 9443 CF ones on there and see if that works (didn't want to do it yet only cause wanted to make sure all the kinks are out and make sure I don't land **** eyes and destroy the CF prop if it touches the concrete landing say at an angle (don't have the prop gaurds for the 9" prop, only 8"). Maybe I will bit the bullet and try the CF ones and see what happens, hopefully I don't destroy one (only have this one set). Maybe I might put the 8" prop guard on anyways to keep it from destroying the prop on a possible slanted landing.

I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Dixit

Props can be a contentious issue/discussion.

Many just use and recommend stock props... like me.

Other use CF and others yet have tried 3-blade and wooden types.

It comes down to function and preference.

Good luck.

Dixit said:
Ok so then if its not the gains technically, Im going to venture a guess its most likely these 9443 plastic props. Since when I put the 8" ones on there it takes off no issues. So maybe I will just throw my 9443 CF ones on there and see if that works (didn't want to do it yet only cause wanted to make sure all the kinks are out and make sure I don't land **** eyes and destroy the CF prop if it touches the concrete landing say at an angle (don't have the prop gaurds for the 9" prop, only 8"). Maybe I will bit the bullet and try the CF ones and see what happens, hopefully I don't destroy one (only have this one set). Maybe I might put the 8" prop guard on anyways to keep it from destroying the prop on a possible slanted landing.

I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Dixit
I had the same fear after buying my CF props. Come to find out (The hard way) They are tougher than I thought. I have tipped over in dirt when landing forcing them to come to a dead stop and didn't faze them. I also hit a tree last night then crashed to the ground from about 15ft still un fazed. Try taking off in the grass instead of concrete.

Well I went ahead put my 9443 CF props on and went ahead anyways and put my 8" prop guards on and even if its tilted, the CF prop just barely misses the ground by 1/8". So I went ahead and for a test flew it, and took off with no issues. This is with even stock gains which is 125/125/125/125 and 100/100. It seemed to be able to maintain position, didn't see too much of an issue except it did come down faster so I may increase the gains to maybe 140/140/140/140 and maybe 85/85 since Im really interested in using this for filming and don't need super fast reactions.

So guess that means the 9443 plastic props I got are garbage and clearly useless. Even side by side comparison to the 9443 CF ones, they looked identical except the plastic ones were just maybe 1mm longer and wider.

Got myself some 9" prop guards coming just in case.

Dixit

I was wondering about gains and tried different settings until I realized that it was just a waste of time...

I have Phantom v1.1.1 with H3-3D (50 black dampers), GCU, PMU v2 and iOSD mini with 9443 props (about 1150 gr) and default gains. No issues, no jellow, no vibration...

http://youtu.be/yZFoSI5FXgQ?list=UUrPz_ ... HO7eNEp9Xw

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic