Gain Adjustment

Reaction score
I have a P2 version 2 with 2312 motors and 9450 props.

What effects would I see in behaviour if I adjusted flight gain configuration, up or down, in any given axis.

How would this affect the battery life.

Thanks

So sory to bump this, but surely someone out there has played with the gains ??

I'm not intimately familiar with the gains, I followed the instructions in the Assistant software and some videos on Youtube... I'm under the impression (just saying, I could be wrong) that the basic gains change how the aircraft reacts when it is auto-correcting itself due to environmental variables... translation: how drastically it adjusts itself when trying to hover for example when the wind blows or it's simply trying to maintain GPS position.
Improper gain settings can cause the craft to toilet bowl or otherwise not hold it's position well. How this related to battery life is, the more drastically and often the Phantom has to correct itself, the more power it's using. So good gain settings so that it very gently and accurately adjusts itself would yield more battery life... how much? probably minimal.

The Attitude gains change how your aircraft responds to RC stick movements. Again, the stronger or more drastically the aircraft moves, the faster it burns battery.

Is is enough to make a noticeable change in flight time? probably not.. flight time is really dictated by how you fly the craft (imo). If you are gentle with the controls, make smaller, smoother movements and are generally more gentle on the craft, you won't burn battery as fast.
If you hot dog, power climb, are always zipping to and fro, flying full throttle and making harsh flight movements (especially if you're in GPS mode, where your faster movements must be more drastically corrected by the flight computer when you release sticks to hover) you're going to burn through battery noticeably faster.

I've done some amateur movie filming and in my experience, a battery lasts a lot longer when I'm flying around laterally getting shots than doing power climbs to get big aerial shots.

Hughie said:
I have a P2 version 2 with 2312 motors and 9450 props.

What effects would I see in behaviour if I adjusted flight gain configuration, up or down, in any given axis.

How would this affect the battery life.

Thanks

See this page for DJI's explanation of Naza gain settings:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... ot_Setting

N017RW and QYV many thanks.

Got it. Looks like one of the PID gains. Proportional or Integral. I cant remember :) - Its been a long time since I played with process control. It is about trying balance a setpoint position without inducing hunting.

The bottom line for me, is to leave it alone.

Before these 3 axis controllers I used single axis 'gyros' for CP helis (yaw or tail rotor).

Gain too low- tail drifts/hunts,
Gain too high- tail oscillates after stick release.

Hughie said:
N017RW and QYV many thanks.

Got it. Looks like one of the PID gains. Proportional or Integral. I cant remember :) - Its been a long time since I played with process control. It is about trying balance a setpoint position without inducing hunting.

The bottom line for me, is to leave it alone.

It is Proportional Gain.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1