GadgetGuy's First Flight Impressions of the P4

I noticed the reduced distance with my P4 over my Version A P3.

I'll be out in the desert next week with no wifi interference. Going to see how far the P4 can go.

I flew two days ago and got weak signal with the P4 at 3,000 feet away at 200 feet. Lame.

Reactions: Bocephus-73
What gets me every time I read a review regarding battery life is this...

1) You are flying at top speeds. Of course you're not going to get the peak battery life.

2) You're flying at peak distances, half of which is against wind, again, diminishing the probability of peak battery life.

And I'll add that when you're more than a couple thousand feet away from the drone, you're no longer LOS.

All of you bickering about battery, isn't it possible that their battery rating isn't built around people pushing speeds and distances to the limits? I use my P4 just to shoot video, and am consistently getting 20-24 minutes and am landing with 20%-30% battery.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: bradbrok

1) You are flying at top speeds. Of course you're not going to get the peak battery life.

2) You're flying at peak distances, half of which is against wind, again, diminishing the probability of peak battery life.

And I'll add that when you're more than a couple thousand feet away from the drone, you're no longer LOS.

All of you bickering about battery, isn't it possible that their battery rating isn't built around people pushing speeds and distances to the limits? I use my P4 just to shoot video, and am consistently getting 20-24 minutes and am landing with 20%-30% battery.

Part of the problem is, I think, that the Phantom 3 claim from DJI was lowballed. They said 23 minutes or something and EVERYONE seemed to get that at minimum. I send it on Litchi flights and it's gone fore 25 minutes and comes back with 35% most of the time. That's crushing DJI's estimate. Now, maybe they have changed the way they are calculating their flight times and maybe they have the right to do so but I think it's helping to confuse people and comes off misleading in the very least.

P4 looks nice. I think this "enhanced" version of Lightbridge is designed to conserve power for flight time. I wish it could adjust power output based on distance or signal quality. Maybe DJI should just have power usage options like Endurance, Performance so that you can tailor signal performance based on needs/environment.

Why is everybody pissing and moaning about long range? So much for obeying the line of sight rules. Unless you live somewhere other than the US, then it cool.

Apparently you aren't keeping up with battery topics. Last night I flew three batteries off just around the neighborhood. My first two flights I never went beyond 3000' & flew the entire flights in P or A mode. Not windy, no aggressive flying, no top speeds (P-mode limits you to 22 mph). The third flight I just did a big circuit in Sport Mode balls-to-the wall the entire flight. Landed each time @ ~15%. The results:

Flight 1 - 18:20 - (P & A modes)
Flight 2 - 17:43 - (P & A modes)
Flight 3 - 14:12 - (Sports Mode balls-to-the-wall)

I can understand the last flight in pure flat-out Sports Mode (although 50% less seems a tad extreme), but the prior two flights were just leisurely flights in P & A modes with little wind & no aggressive flying. That's 10 minutes and a full 1/3rd less than the stated 28 minute flight time!

Why is everybody pissing and moaning about long range? So much for obeying the line of sight rules. Unless you live somewhere other than the US, then it cool.

Actually quite the opposite.

The U.S. of A is one of the few places where LoS is actually not currently the law. It's a recommendation alright, and the FAA would love for you to believe it's the law, but it's not.

Loss of P4 video and P4 RC at 6700 feet or less, when the original P3P can reliably maintain it out to 3 miles over the same area, when 3 miles is the advertised P4 range, is the deal killer. The P3P promised 1.3 miles and delivered 3 miles. The P4 promises 3 miles and delivers 1.3 miles! :(

Super helpful review, Gadget. Thanks!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You should write : [email protected]

Tell the CEO that it is a **** move to totally over report the battery life and reduce the output of the craft and the RC making the range much less.

Let's all email him and register our dissatisfaction at the top.

Loss of P4 video and P4 RC at 6700 feet or less, when the original P3P can reliably maintain it out to 3 miles over the same area, when 3 miles is the advertised P4 range, is the deal killer. The P3P promised 1.3 miles and delivered 3 miles. The P4 promises 3 miles and delivers 1.3 miles! :(

Woww.. This is surprising. I got my p4 days back, but got no chance to fly it yet. With my p3p, 20-23 minutes are easy. It will be very frustrating if you can't even get 20 for p4 despite the 28 claimed by DJI.

You should write : [email protected]

Tell the CEO that it is a **** move to totally over report the battery life and reduce the output of the craft and the RC making the range much less.

Let's all email him and register our dissatisfaction at the top.
Thanks! I just sent him a link to this thread.
Not that he will ever respond. :rolleyes:

Great Review GadgetGuy !
I'm about 1500ft short on my range from the P3
Battery flight time 50% sports mode (19.6min) seeing some improvement after a few flights.
Camera is weaker in low light . (Way more noise in the footage)
Did you notice that the P4 gimbal goes up a few more degrees than the p3 ?

Great Review GadgetGuy !
I'm about 1500ft short on my range from the P3
Battery flight time 50% sports mode (19.6min) seeing some improvement after a few flights.
Camera is weaker in low light . (Way more noise in the footage)
Did you notice that the P4 gimbal goes up a few more degrees than the p3 ?
Thanks! Lots of my return flights are well after sunset, so losing the great ISO 3200 performance of the P3P coming home would be a shame.
I did notice the props on the frame in Sport mode, but didn't turn on the extra 30° to see a change in the maximum gimbal elevation.
I'm going to do more distance tests later today, after pairing it with my FPVLR v2 transmitter with 3.0A boosters. However, I'm clearly going to need a battery mod! I hope the Midwest Horizon guys do the same mod with two P4 batteries that they just did with two of my P3 batteries My dreams of 28 minutes without a battery mod have been dashed with reality! :rolleyes:

GadgetGuy's First Flight Impressions of the P4

My P4 arrived from China this morning at 9:12am. Having already purchased a dedicated iPad Mini 2 the night before, and installed the latest P4 supporting DJI GO app, and the 32 channel hack, I was ready to go. Battery and transmitter charging took several hours. After Activation, updating all firmware updates to the RC and aircraft took another hour, but was much easier, as I never touched my computer or the Mini SD card. All updates were done through the iPad Mini2, connected via WiFi, and the included USB cables in the package. The P4 definitely looks cool, and the shiny white finish on all components is very Apple-ish, matching my white iPad Mini 2. The built-in metal Inspire table holder on the RC was a nice touch. All my P3P RC's have one purchased separately for $30 more. The updates went smoothly, with clear progress bars and prompts from within the DJI GO. After topping off the battery, I was ready for my first flight around 3:15pm. Before that, I noticed that the full screen map zoom and navigation could only be accomplished through first touching the compass icon in the lower left. Otherwise, the map zoom and movement was unresponsive. Minor, but important to know. I also went through all the menus and customized my settings. One caused a problem. I had dumbed down the gimbal control to such a degree that it would not move. After pairing with another RC, I figured out which setting was the problem, and repaired with the original RC. I was ready for launch with a fully charged battery. I had previously turned off all Obstacle Avoidance, as I didn't want to waste battery power on a feature I don't need. I have never run into anything in front of me. That's what FPV is for!

Video bit rate was set to the lowest setting of 4Mbs, and video recording on the iPad was turned off, as that is what I always use, and it maximizes video stability.

After being promised up to a 3.1 mile range, and a 28 minute flight time with the new larger battery, I was hoping I wouldn't need an RC mod and external batteries, like I do on my P3P's to achieve long range and video stability. To be fair, having already determined that the P4 GL300C RC had 20% less power than the original P3P GL300A, and the P4 aircraft also had 20% less power output for video than the original P3P WM323 model's 0.746 Watts, I was skeptical, but hopeful that pulling the gimbal inside might have improved video signal, minimizing the antenna blocking.

With the 32 Channel Hack set to channel 30, and a full windsurfer, I flew directly west over the same area I have flown for the last 9 months with my P3P's at the same altitude of 300 feet AGL. At 6,700 feet away, I lost both video and RC control. The RTH was set at 250 meters because I live and fly next to a small mountain that is 320 meters ASL, and launch from 80 meters ASL. Even the RTH elevation set to 250 meters was insufficient to recover signal or video, until the aircraft was within 5,000 feet of the Home Point.

With my original stock WM323 P3P and stock GL300A controller, with the same windsurfer and the same Channel Hack set to Channel 30, I can fly out 3 miles in the same direction at the same altitude before losing any video stability.

After recovering from the 3 minute signal loss, I continued to fly within the control and FPV range of well under 5,000 feet, while experimenting with Sport Mode. With a 10 mph breeze, upwind, the P4 in Sport Mode reached 35mph into the wind, and 50 mph downwind, but the props were always in the video at a 90° gimbal elevation both times. In P Mode, I flew at 35 mph into the same wind and 40 mph downwind, on the same course, with no props in the frame.

Despite having Smart Return to Home toggled OFF, I was informed at 35% remaining battery that I needed to return home, even though I was less than 2,000 feet away. I cancelled, and continued flying.

I ultimately landed at 17% remaining battery, with a total flight time of 16:14 minutes, having flown 30,000 feet total.

To say I am disappointed with DJI's gross misrepresentations of the P4’s capabilities is an understatement.
16 minute flight time, not 28 minutes.
1.27 miles, not 3.1 miles.
Sport Mode is barely faster than P Mode.
This P4 is going back to DJI.
My existing stock unmodded P3P's already run circles around this dumbed down P4, which can't deliver FPV past 1 mile with any reliability under ideal conditions, and whose battery is just shorter and fatter, not really larger.
YMMV.

Excellent report! Thanks

Hi @GadgetGuy, first of all thanks for the report then a small question. I see that you have a lot of knoledge on p3 RC, could i ask you which model is the best one in terms of range of control and video stream? 300A or B?

Hi @GadgetGuy, first of all thanks for the report then a small question. I see that you have a lot of knoledge on p3 RC, could i ask you which model is the best one in terms of range of control and video stream? 300A or B?
GL300A and GL300B should be the same control power output, at .380 watts each.
GL300C is the worst, at 20% less, at .303 watts.
The video power output comes from the aircraft, and not the RC.
WM330A P4 is .598 watts, while the original W323 P3P is .746 watts.

Reactions: StevenQX

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr