GadgetGuy's Final P4 Flight

Yeah, weird!

I just found a dent in mine and I had a flight where I left the gimbal clamp on the whole flight so I was thinking of bringing her back and replacing at Apple since I can. Should I not?

One of my two bats btw is already down to 99% life which I don't remember my p3 bats doing that until after some time. That was only after like 25 flights or so. Maybe I'm running it down to low.
If you do return it, odds are you may get one like everyone else's! ;)

The most efficient flight will be in slow forward flight , followed I would guess by hovering in ground effect ( which with something with such small rotor diameter is probably 2 inches off the ground ! ) I have found if you fly faster ( anything faster than P mode with collision avoidance on) it does effect battery life badly , but I did expect this to happen , as I was always taught you can't get something for nothing.

And a Ferrari definitely doesn't have better mpg around a track unless you are cruising at 50-60 mph with no one else around , but then who would want a Ferrari anyway.
Oddly, the P4, at similar speeds to the P3 in the 30-35 mph range, really chews up the battery at twice the speed. That was unexpected for me.

Maybe I'm just better than everyone else? You probably didn't consider that like I did. :cool:
Return at your own risk. I'm not going to fly the P4 to optimize battery life any more than I would obsess over gas mileage in a Ferarri. I'll just have my P4 battery mod to support my choice of flying modes, just like I do my FPVLR Tx, to solve the control range issues!

Oddly, the P4, at similar speeds to the P3 in the 30-35 mph range, really chews up the battery at twice the speed. That was unexpected for me.
I'm finding literally no difference in times (to the minute) no matter how I fly. With video, with tailwind and back, hovering in heavy wind (haven't been able to hover in no wind yet) and it works it's *** off in heavy wind hovering. Misconception that that is better on battery. The flight board is always working hard and all four props are starting and stopping. I'm actually finding the best bat times are when you fly as far as you can with a tail wind and then fly as long as you can to the side of that wind and then bank around it so you're never to dead over the tail wind. Look at my times, they are all under massively different conditions and altitudes. But I'm running the battery DOWN on some of those.

Return at your own risk. I'm not going to fly the P4 to optimize battery life any more than I would obsess over gas mileage in a Ferarri. I'll just have my P4 battery mod to support my choice of flying modes, just like I do my FPVLR Tx, to solve the control range issues!
In all honesty, I don't care much about battery life. I'm a film maker. I need it for takes. I just need enough batteries so I don't have down time.

Don't you think that running a whole flight with my clamp on could have caused onforseen at the moment damage though?

In all honesty, I don't care much about battery life. I'm a film maker. I need it for takes. I just need enough batteries so I don't have down time.

Don't you think that running a whole flight with my clamp on could have caused onforseen at the moment damage though?
The battery life is critical to support the range I need to get to my choice of locations without needing to drive in traffic. Isn't that what a copter is for, flying over traffic quickly? :cool:

The battery life is critical to support the range I need to get to my choice of locations without needing to drive in traffic. Isn't that what a copter is for, flying over traffic quickly? :cool:
Ha! Funny that your avatar is FAA. Going to sleep. Nite!!

The P4 has a better form for hovering than the P3 and a worse form than P 3 for fast flight ( P4 looks slender from top and fat from the side compared to P3) I didn't buy it as a speed demon, but I guess if I did I would be disappointed like you.

The P4 has a better form for hovering than the P3 and a worse form than P 3 for fast flight ( P4 looks slender from top and fat from the side compared to P3) I didn't buy it as a speed demon, but I guess if I did I would be disappointed like you.
I hadn't considered that, but that may be a factor. Good point!

Supposedly, some early P4 Tx's were defectively underpowered. Mine must have been one of those.

Sounds like maybe time for a new "handle" for you GG............considering the above suspected defect and the P4 issues.........how about........."Murphy".........LOL.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time; not just for the testing you obviously would do for your own satisfaction...........but also for sharing and posting your findings.

Which were IMO not bias nor negative with any intent - based on factual findings.

Sounds like maybe time for a new "handle" for you GG............considering the above suspected defect and the P4 issues.........how about........."Murphy".........LOL.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time; not just for the testing you obviously would do for your own satisfaction...........but also for sharing and posting your findings.

Which were IMO not bias nor negative with any intent - based on factual findings.
Thanks! :cool: Apparently, the early adopters got the duds. The other reviews with vastly improved results means there are good units out there to be had, so buy from a place like Apple or Best Buy were an exchange will be easy, should you find yours is a lemon, as well.

Well it's been an interesting thread DUD...I mean Murphy ..Dang it ..GG :rolleyes:
Hope it all goes your way :)
It usually does! Just need to get out from under the gun of a 7 day return, and let the boys and girls on the assembly line learn how to make a good one. :cool:

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie