GadgetGuy's Final P4 Flight

The FPVLR mod with circular polarization will always outperform the DBS at long range. I get 5+ miles out of mine easily with a battery mod to get 26-28 minute flight times at full throttle throughout. Broke 70,000 feet last week on one flight, without even trying to set a new record distance for me. It just happened! :cool: Try that with a P4! :rolleyes:
When you say 70,000 feet , your talking round trip , correct?

Not sure what you are saying 17 minutes with 28% capacity isn't terribly impressive. My P3P does
GadetGuy is going to be thrilled if this is true.
That whole thread is pretty bizarre. One guy with a very big axe to grind and, at least when I last looked at it, no evidence that the replies were anything but wishful thinking.

Oh, and don't you all recall the threads BEFORE the P4 shipped reminding folks that version 1 of a shipping product (especially a DJI or Apple product) is really just a big self financed beta test? It always happens that way - the Shiny blinds.

GG, did you get your refund?
The return shipping label issued by DJI said "Refund" on it under the classification of the return, instead of Repair, which was the classification of my last Warranty return shipping label. The P4 will be in their hands Monday. I expect a refund by Tuesday. We'll see..

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and for DJI to also admit that the initial batteries were also less than 28 minutes in flight times and will be replaced with new 10,000 mAh batteries in all new P4`s! :D

the real question here is will DJI be refunding your money or will they be sending you another p4?
I demanded a full refund, so I can acquire a P4 from another source that has a more liberal refund return policy. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'll wait for the second version, and hope they also have a satisfactory solution to the 12 minute battery life, at full throttle, in Atti mode, instead of the advertised 28 plus minutes!

I'm glad you're doing a lot of meticulous work exposing the massive disappointment known as the Phantom 4 --- you honestly deserve a medal in here for all this detailed analysis.

I feel ashamed when I see other people in here living inside their own delusions about the P4 being a fantastic machine that eclipses the P3P in every way. Nobody with half a brain is going to believe that when cold, hard facts tell us otherwise. Stop floating in fantasy and get grounded in reality, I always say.

I might utilize Amazon's liberal 30-day full refund return policy to see if the P4 is as horrible with range and flight times as you have discovered. Gut feeling tells me all your statements will be proven correct about this over-hyped product. :(

It's truly a matter of what's important to you. I know I get more time in flight than my stock P3, and the video is kind of an issue, but not enough for me to return.

Each to their own as they say!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sadly, Tom's TechTime agrees with my findings.
It's not just me, or my now returned P4.

1. Battery life of P4 in hover mode only is 22 minutes, not 28 minutes.
(Tom says DJI lied about the battery life)

2. Control Range of P4 is less than the P3P, and about 1.3 miles, not 3.1 miles.

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

2. Control Range of P4 is less than the P3P, and about 1.3 miles, not 3.1 miles.

View attachment 48653

View attachment 48654

Looks pretty black and white to me. Thanks for doing this test.I will be holding off buying a 4 until further improvements.

I don't get it guys. Why the need to put down another man's purchase choice? If you are happy with what you have, isn't that what matters?

I am personally grateful for all the research and comparisons that were done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm going to agree. It is still a great bird. It has some limitations. If I was buying my first bird it would be close but I would still get the P4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

View attachment 48653

View attachment 48654

1. My P4's battery life is 24-25 minutes and I am very happy with it because I cannot reach advertised flight time with my P3P as well. So real flight time / advertised flight time percentage of P4 and P3P are very similar.

2. Range is not important for my purpose of flying.

Other then battery and range many other great features of P4 and improvements over P3P can be seen in Tom's Tech Time comparison video.

I am 100% happy and feeling safer with my new P4 now (after altitude dropping issue was solved by proper IMU calibration).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

One small point re charging, just noticed in the manual that it says - "If the battery level is above 95%, turn on the battery before charging"

The originally intended 20% reduction transmitter power (over the GL300A) is, unfortunately, only half the equation. The GL300C power reduction is, based upon the post, and my P4 range data of signal loss at 6700 feet, is clearly more than that 20%!

However, the most important additional loss of 20%, as well, is in the video power output from the P4 aircraft, over the original W323 P3P. No GL300A P3P equivalent P4 controller can fix that. The other nail in the coffin is the terrible battery life, which at 12 minutes, is a very far cry from the advertised 28+ minutes! The improved range is of no value without a supporting 28 minute battery life!

Last edited:
One small point re charging, just noticed in the manual that it says - "If the battery level is above 95%, turn on the battery before charging"
That is also true of the P3P battery charging. It works on a P3P battery with its charger. It did not work for me with the P4 battery with its charger. The P4 battery immediately shuts itself off, instead of topping itself off to 100%.

The other nail in the coffin is the terrible battery life, which at 12 minutes, is a very far cry from the advertised 28+ minutes!

Hopefully you will have better luck with a future replacement, and glad you got your refund agreed with DJI, but for others reading this, 12 mins is not typical based on both my own and others experience.

I'm still taking it easy with my packs but getting 15 min flights with around 40% left even though I'm starting from only 95% ...

Re the battery charging, I'm actually glad that the charger is not charging 95%+ packs as I've always regarded it as 'risky' with a fairly unintelligent charger to try to top off a pack that close to full. Better to use one pack for any setup then swap to a full pack for the flight and if necessary fly the partial pack down to 80% or so and recharge from there.

I understand why you miss having the capability if it was working that way on the P3, but for me at least I think it is a good change if that is the case.

Hopefully you will have better luck with a future replacement, and glad you got your refund agreed with DJI, but for others reading this, 12 mins is not typical based on both my own and others experience.

I'm still taking it easy with my packs but getting 15 min flights with around 40% left even though I'm starting from only 95% ...

Re the battery charging, I'm actually glad that the charger is not charging 95%+ packs as I've always regarded it as 'risky' with a fairly unintelligent charger to try to top off a pack that close to full. Better to use one pack for any setup then swap to a full pack for the flight and if necessary fly the partial pack down to 80% or so and recharge from there.

I understand why you miss having the capability if it was working that way on the P3, but for me at least I think it is a good change if that is the case.
If I had more than 7 days, and was assured that flying wouldn't void my right to a refund, even with a manufacturing defect, I would have played with the P4 more, and tried different batteries, and spent more time with stock controllers. The deal killer was the gimbal squeak combined with the "maximum gimbal angle exceeded" error, and the gimbal locking itself to a 45° angle, in midflight on my 3rd and final flight, with my P4 lemon!

Others have said their P4 chargers are topping off just fine. Topping off before each use also rebalances the cells, which can be critical. DJI still hasn't changed their battery algorithm that shuts off the battery whenever any single cell reads less than 3.0V, even if the aircraft is in the air!:eek:

Others have said their P4 chargers are topping off just fine. Topping off before each use also rebalances the cells, which can be critical. DJI still hasn't changed their battery algorithm that shuts off the battery whenever any single cell reads less than 3.0V, even if the aircraft is in the air!:eek:

I'm happier using voltages rather than percentages as you never know for sure if my 95% = your 95% :)

I just did a quick check on a pack I have here which it shows as '97%' and that one will certainly not charge. If it is turned on and put on the charger you get one cycle of the lights running up then down and it shuts off.

I'll take other opportunities to narrow down what voltage it considers as high enough not to charge but I strongly suspect that there is a voltage limit for all the chargers, but some degree of manufacturing tolerance may determine exactly where it cuts in for each charger.

Balancing the cells is always important, but if you have a pack where it is 'critical' to re-balance at 95% then that is probably a pack you don't want to be using at all :)

Your point about the 3.0V cut-off is well taken though and is one reason why I've mapped one of the buttons on the back to toggle the battery information. I love the fact that DJI give you cell level data during flight so you can get into the habit of checking for any significant cell voltage deviations before they become a real problem.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I'm happier using voltages rather than percentages as you never know for sure if my 95% = your 95% :)

I just did a quick check on a pack I have here which it shows as '97%' and that one will certainly not charge. If it is turned on and put on the charger you get one cycle of the lights running up then down and it shuts off.

I'll take other opportunities to narrow down what voltage it considers as high enough not to charge but I strongly suspect that there is a voltage limit for all the chargers, but some degree of manufacturing tolerance may determine exactly where it cuts in for each charger.

Balancing the cells is always important, but if you have a pack where it is 'critical' to re-balance at 95% then that is probably a pack you don't want to be using at all :)

Your point about the 3.0V cut-off is well taken though and is one reason why I've mapped one of the buttons on the back to toggle the battery information. I love the fact that DJI give you cell level data during flight so you can get into the habit of checking for any significant cell voltage deviations before they become a real problem.
All good points. Your charger and battery operate like mine did. No mention in the P4 literature that DJI had disabled topping off above 95%, which is essential for a long range flight, after customizing the settings, and wanting to still start flying with a 100% fully charged battery. Rumor has it that the P4 battery readout of 10% remaining is the same as 30% remaining on the P3 batteries. If true, then the percent calculation algorithm for the P4 is way too conservative, and cell voltage readings will be more important in establishing a more accurate picture, or just add 20%, but that still won't stop the Autoland when the P4 decides it's at 10% (even if it's really 30%!) :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1