GadgetGuy's Final P4 Flight

Every place I've tried I get a max of 3300' or so., I'd be so happy to get 5/6k out of this one. That's the only complaint I can manage to come up with.
Are you seeing anywhere close to the touted 28 minute battery life?

As suggested, use msingers flight log reader to upload your .txt files and compare your P3 percentage/voltage numbers to your P4 numbers. I think you'll see a pattern like this below. This evidence highly suggests the algorithm for the battery gauge has been padded for safety. Had it not been padded we'd likely be getting very close to 28min flight times, given the 20% battery capacity increase.
View attachment 48548
This would imply that running the P4 battery down to 0% is still leaving 17-20% in the tank, relative to the P3! Too bad the 10% Autoland prevents exploiting this knowledge to use that last 10% or even more for useful flight time. This also might imply that using external batteries with the internal P4 will also be similarly crippled and throttled, because you can't use the last 17-20% of them either! Not good! :( #DJI:GiveUsBackOur20%!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
This would imply that running the P4 battery down to 0% is still leaving 17-20% in the tank, relative to the P3! Too bad the 10% Autoland prevents exploiting this knowledge to use that last 10% or even more for useful flight time. This also might imply that using external batteries with the internal P4 will also be similarly crippled and throttled, because you can't use the last 17-20% of them either! Not good! :(

I'm curious if they change the battery algorithm in a future firmware update?

I'm curious if they change the battery algorithm in a future firmware update?
They sure need to, if this is the reason for the huge differences in battery life with a higher mAh battery. Better yet, make the 0% value a user selectable setting in the app (just like the critically low battery and low battery warning sliders), where you can then choose anywhere from the original 0% of the P3, to the new P4 imposed value of 20% above that, as your personal 0% remaining battery value!:) They also need to give us back the option of setting the critically low battery setting to below 10%, as the Autoland at that setting is far more dangerous than running the battery down to 0% while getting the aircraft back to the homepoint, when over water!:rolleyes:
Better to have the option to ruin a battery, than to lose the aircraft and the battery!

Last edited:
Reactions: WetDog
This is so weird ... It's like you own a totally different quad than my P4 ... My battery charges to 100% (on 4th charge now), my last flight yesterday landed at 18:00 minutes and had 38% left in the battery, camera is sharper then my P3P, and it holds GPS lock like it's fixed to the ground. I haven't done any long range testing but got out 2,000 feet and had full bars.
yep like I said above, I have no battery problems and seems to last longer than the p3, soon as weather is better im going to see how long it will stay in the air for with normal flying, if flown hard yes it only lasted 15mins but still landed with 18% battery left.
I have also got to fine tuning the camera how I want it and the image quality is slightly better than p3p, as for gps hold and stability ive had a few odd twitches now and then but only on the first few flights, not happened since the batteries got past 5 charges.. its now more stable than the p3p, smooth and graceful in gps mode.
What im saying is... its like it had to settle in and is getting better all the time.. strange but true

Sadly, I think DJI is yielding to the wishes of the FAA in crippling the range in each successive iteration of their aircraft, while still wanting to appeal, in their exaggerated marketing claims, to those that need long range for their type of use. When the P4 doesn't deliver, DJI can just blame it on the FAA Safety Guidelines of VLOS, and your lack of "ideal" conditions where you fly. Fortunately, I have ideal conditions at sea level for testing! From the huge price drops, it appears DJI is clearing out the P3 because it is "too good" to keep the FAA happy long term. P4 has potential with a battery mod and a transmitter mod, but the W323 P3P is definitely the ultimate long range flyer.
is there nothing that can be tweeked in the Rc to increase power output?

is there nothing that can be tweeked in the Rc to increase power output?
Best way to increase Tx control power is with either a DBS or FPVLR mod, including boosters. Unfortunately, that won't increase the power output for video from the aircraft, which is the real limiting factor. Therefore, the stock video output from the aircraft needs to be as powerful as possible. On the P4, it is 20% less than on the original W323 P3P.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Best way to increase Tx control power is with either a DBS or FPVLR mod, including boosters. Unfortunately, that won't increase the power output for video from the aircraft, which is the real limiting factor. Therefore, the stock video output from the aircraft needs to be as powerful as possible. On the P4, it is 20% less than on the original W323 P3P.
Ive had 4 p3`s and still have 3 of them, but even the early p3p i got way back that was W323 only flew 3 miles with DBS mod, like i said they have always been restricted in the UK, maybe I should have bought an import from ebay way back, But life sucks and we just have to make the best out of what we have.. I have an Inspire pro and the battery cells dip into the orange and red all the time so wont even risk flying it like I do the p3`s may be I have a lemon there ;)

Ive had 4 p3`s and still have 3 of them, but even the early p3p i got way back that was W323 only flew 3 miles with DBS mod, like i said they have always been restricted in the UK, maybe I should have bought an import from ebay way back, But life sucks and we just have to make the best out of what we have.. I have an Inspire pro and the battery cells dip into the orange and red all the time so wont even risk flying it like I do the p3`s may be I have a lemon there ;)
The FPVLR mod with circular polarization will always outperform the DBS at long range. I get 5+ miles out of mine easily with a battery mod to get 26-28 minute flight times at full throttle throughout. Broke 70,000 feet last week on one flight, without even trying to set a new record distance for me. It just happened! :cool: Try that with a P4! :rolleyes:

Nope. Full refund. I will not be denied, no matter what lies the DJI Customer Service center tries to claim are "policy." This one will go to the mat, if necessary! They will be honoring their written website return policy, whether they want to or not! This P4 is a lemon!
GG, did you get your refund?

I wish I did not sell my P3P , not worth the upgrade. At least my P3P was stable and video did not drop. My battery life seems ok but every once in a while after I charge up a battery , it only shows two lights after charging is done and my go app says the battery is only 47% charged. As far as distance, the P4 is not as good as may P3P. I'm not sure how DJI gets away with these claims.

GadetGuy is going to be thrilled if this is true.

DJI acknowledges initial shipments of P4's had less powerful remotes resulting in less range and will be corrected in future shipments self.djiphantom

submitted 14 hours ago byteckademics

I would like to thank Mr Xiang at "[email protected]" for acknowledging the #RANGEGATE issue and offering to send me a P4 controller with the same output as the original P3P. He has assured me that this will be corrected in future shipments of the P4.

Towards the bottomDJI Forum|RANGEGATE

Reactions: GadgetGuy
flew mine for the first time this morning.
this was first flight and I got 21 minutes and five seconds flight time
about 15 percent remaing on the battery.

Very possible. I'll soon be getting another from a source with a vastly improved return period of 30 days, instead of 7, without requiring a manufacturing defect!
the real question here is will DJI be refunding your money or will they be sending you another p4?

Soooo how do I get a stronger remote lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NormanNormal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers