GadgetGuy's Final P4 Flight

Looks like I hurt the delicate feelings of another DJI or Apple fan boi ---- that is the mark of a good day :p
Well you're not the only person who can say ridiculous, outlandish statements for attention. See how easy it is!!

GadgetGuy, you always seem to back up your tech posts with solid information. Thanks for this in-depth review.
As someone else mentioned, if your battery only charges to 95%, wouldn't that indicate that there's something up with that particular battery?
(Or the charger or both)?
The charger is easy enough to test the output. The battery could also be tested but with a bit more complexity.

GadgetGuy, you always seem to back up your tech posts with solid information. Thanks for this in-depth review.
As someone else mentioned, if your battery only charges to 95%, wouldn't that indicate that there's something up with that particular battery?
(Or the charger or both)?
The charger is easy enough to test the output. The battery could also be tested but with a bit more complexity.
Thanks. The battery will charge to 100%, if it was first depleted sufficiently to trigger the main charging process. It's the topping off process at 95% remaining, after fiddling with the app settings on the ground for 5 minutes, where the battery needs to be turned "on" to get it to charge, that isn't working reliably. It did one time. Hasn't the other 9/10 attempts.

I just need any one "manufacturing defect" to hang my hat on, for the 7 day DJI refund after activation to apply. Looks like the charger now makes the fourth, after the battery that burns up in 12 minutes, the Tx that loses signal at 1.3 miles, and the gimbal the squeaks and squeals, and in midflight, turns 45° to the side, ruining the video, generating a "gimbal angle exceeded" error in the app!

Reactions: JKDSensei
very good info GG, here in the uk our tx is is limited by law but the p3p flys up to 3miles with no problems and the video is lost before RC.
with the p4 it flys to about 1 mile and RC is lost before Video.. thats great because i can see the rth kick in (joke)
Im having trouble keeping the shutter speed down on the camera and its dark alot of the time, no wonder they added a crap 3d noise filter (never used) as noise is bad.
Ive had no problems with battery times in the way I fly and the p4 has plenty left and takes longer to run down, but I never use below 30% as use a phantom for video and photography.
So yes I will be keeping the p4 but no way be loosing the P3P..
do you think they will discontinue the P3? or will all the flack they get make them do something...
Sadly, I think DJI is yielding to the wishes of the FAA in crippling the range in each successive iteration of their aircraft, while still wanting to appeal, in their exaggerated marketing claims, to those that need long range for their type of use. When the P4 doesn't deliver, DJI can just blame it on the FAA Safety Guidelines of VLOS, and your lack of "ideal" conditions where you fly. Fortunately, I have ideal conditions at sea level for testing! From the huge price drops, it appears DJI is clearing out the P3 because it is "too good" to keep the FAA happy long term. P4 has potential with a battery mod and a transmitter mod, but the W323 P3P is definitely the ultimate long range flyer.

Thanks. The battery will charge to 100%, if it was first depleted sufficiently to trigger the main charging process. It's the topping off process at 95% remaining, after fiddling with the app settings on the ground for 5 minutes, where the battery needs to be turned "on" to get it to charge, that isn't working reliably. It did one time. Hasn't the other 9/10 attempts.

I just need any one "manufacturing defect" to hang my hat on, for the 7 day DJI refund after activation to apply. Looks like the charger now makes the fourth, after the battery that burns up in 12 minutes, the Tx that loses signal at 1.3 miles, and the gimbal the squeaks and squeals, and in midflight, turns 45° to the side, ruining the video, generating a "gimbal angle exceeded" error in the app!
GG, did you double check the downlink bit rate and make sure it's set to 4mbps? That's where I had issues. Evidently any update to the RC firmware would reset the GO app to 10mbps, and that setting hinders distance capability. I was all bummed about the distance myself, until yesterday when I found out the downlink bit rate was not set right. When I reset it to 4mbps I got 15,000ft distance using Windsurfer, when before it would only get 6000' with Windsurfer.

I just pulled off a 16:39 min flight in p mode, shooting video,38 degree windy day at 5280 ft above sea level. Landed at 26% battery. Would be curious what I wud get at sea level on a calm day.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1458944518.921754.jpg

Last edited:
With all these complaints and problems listed on the P4, it looks like I'm going to buy at Apple and pay the $100 tax. The two-week return. Seems like it's worth $100.

Every place I've tried I get a max of 3300' or so., I'd be so happy to get 5/6k out of this one. That's the only complaint I can manage to come up with.

To those saying he got a lemon, there are quite a few people over at DJI's website saying they can't get the same range either.
A few say they do. Most seem to agree with GadgetGuy's results.
Also, if the new transmitter actually has less output power, then that's enough for me. While it's not the only factor, it's certainly one of the most important.

Reactions: Bocephus-73
I base my decisions on facts, and the leaderboard post has facts. You do whatever makes you happy, and leave opinions out of the discussion please.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Smart move buying at the apple store. Exchanging is easy. So fly the snot out of it for 14 days to make sure it airworthy. Thats what im doing.

I did 21min this afternoon, but I keep the speed down and only flew 2.5mi. I'm noticing the battery temperature is much higher than my P3, which is usually around 125-130F. Are others seeing temps this warm at 140F?

upload_2016-3-25_21-19-13.png

GG, did you double check the downlink bit rate and make sure it's set to 4mbps? That's where I had issues. Evidently any update to the RC firmware would reset the GO app to 10mbps, and that setting hinders distance capability. I was all bummed about the distance myself, until yesterday when I found out the downlink bit rate was not set right. When I reset it to 4mbps I got 15,000ft distance using Windsurfer, when before it would only get 6000' with Windsurfer.
Absolutely. I have had that exact same issue before, so checking for 4 Mbs download rate is always part of my preflight checklist, as well as confirming custom channel 30. That's not the cause here. It was definitely set to 4 Mbs on channel 30, on all three P4 flights, as well as the P3P flight yesterday, immediately after.

you definitely got a lemon....
I will be replacing the P4 from either Amazon or Best Buy, which both offer me a full 30 day no questions asked refund. With only 7 days to return from DJI, requiring a manufacturer's defect, of which I found four (RC control range only 35% of advertised 3.1 miles, battery life of only 45% of advertised 28 minutes, charger won't top off battery at 95% remaining, and gimbal squeals and locks up in flight with "Maximum gimbal angle exceeded" error in app), I had to return it today. In the mean time, I am having a battery mod done on the P4 battery, allowing me to add external Lipo's, to supplement the internal battery. We'll see.

As suggested, use msingers flight log reader to upload your .txt files and compare your P3 percentage/voltage numbers to your P4 numbers. I think you'll see a pattern like this below. This evidence highly suggests the algorithm for the battery gauge has been padded for safety. Had it not been padded we'd likely be getting very close to 28min flight times, given the 20% battery capacity increase.
upload_2016-3-25_22-7-9.png

With all these complaints and problems listed on the P4, it looks like I'm going to buy at Apple and pay the $100 tax. The two-week return. Seems like it's worth $100.
Absolutely! 14 days, and no need to prove a manufacturing defect! Amazon and Best Buy (after spending $1,500 in a calendar year) also both offer 30 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31