FYI. Futaba 8FG works with built in receiver

Reaction score
Just in case this is of any use to anyone.

My DJI RC transmitter has an intermittant fault, so I bought a Futaba T8FGS.

I was going to fit the Futaba receiver in the Phantom, but couldnt initially get it to work, so I decided to see if I could get the original receiver to work with the 8FG, and have managed to get it to work (after a bit of head scratching and youtube video watching).

Basically if you turn on your Futaba transmitter, then press and hold the LED button under the middle of the Phantom 2 (which will probably initially be flashing green), and wait for it to flash red, then release it.
The Phantom should bind to the Futaba Tx.

I found this video, for the Phantom 1, which explains how to setup the Futaba in the second half of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ8lkBwu_AY

The important thing to note is the End Point for the channel (7) which operates the Control mode.
As although if you don't change the end points, the switch you assign it to, appears to work fine, if you look in the Phantom assistant software. (I used switch D as it as in the same place as the switch on the DJI RC Tx)

The default throw of the switch goes beyond the permitted range for the Control mode switch, and causes the Phantom show flashing yellow lights unless the switch is in the middle position.

On my Phantom 2, if I set the end points to 80, as suggested in the video, it fixed this problem

BTW. I don't know why the video suggests that you use another switch to be able to engage failsafe mode at any time, as you can configure the Control mode, into failsafe in the Phantom Assistant software if you are in Naza M mode.

One other thing I've noticed that there are 2 cables from the receiver board in the P2, to the Naza
X3 appears to be the SBus, but X2 doesnt seem to be used.
I've completely unplugged it, and both the Futaba and the original DJI RC Tx unit both still seem to be able to control all parts of the Phantom.
So I"m not entirely sure what that cable is doing.

That sounds like a fail safe in itself. Using a separate switch you can't accidentally activate fail safe switching flight modes for example.

ozzyguy

I see what you mean about fail safe.

I will need to watch the video again, carefully, but its hard to see what he is doing some of the time.

He may be using one of the 2 position switches to control GPS / Attn and another 2 position switch to trigger fail safe, but did look like be was using a 3 position switch for Control Mode, especially with the End Point values that he input.

However I can see that your idea may be an improvement on what the guy in the video did.

I'm now considering a Futaba but am somewhat confused about the model designations. What is the difference between a T8FG and a 8FGHS?

@ianwood

No. I'd not seen that thread. Thanks.

I'd been working from youtube videos and various other things on the web, but they were for the P1.

Also I've not ended up using the futaba receiver, as the main reason I neede to use the a Futaba is that the RC Tx that came with my Phantom has a fault where it keeps stopping transmission.

I setup the switches the same as in that thread, but they look to have done some other fancy things, so I'll download their config files and give it a go, as it sounds like it will improve the handling

Thanks again

Roger

lgeist said:
I'm now considering a Futaba but am somewhat confused about the model designations. What is the difference between a T8FG and a 8FGHS?

On Futaba's site (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9662&p=82859#p82859) the 2 modem numbers are actually 8FGAS and 8FGHS

However my Futaba doesn't show these numbers it just has T8FGS

As far as I can tell they are all basically T8FG models, and the letters n the end seem to be related to the default settings of the firmware.

Mine came defaulted to Helicopter mode, so I had to switch it to airplane mode as this is more applicable to mutli-rotor flying, but there is no mention of it being a T8FGHS ( http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wgainf ... I=FUTK8011 ) on any of the packaging or documentation.

One thing to note, is that its sold in both Mode 1 and mode 2 versions. I think Hobby King's version is Mode 1 (throttle on right stick) but the one I got was mode 2 (throttle on left stick) as that's what I wanted

The channels assigned to each joystick is completely configurable, but the mechanics of the joysticks e.g. the ratchet, are not - unless you take the Tx apart and disassemble the joystick mechanism.
So its best to go for a Mode 2 version if you want throttle on the left (as in the DJI RC Tx)

The throttle doesn't center, hence you will need to get an upgrade kit from Futaba as listed in the other 8FG thread (I need to send off for this, as mine doesn't center)

Thanks, Roger!

@lgeist

No worries.

From what done on my 8FG, I really like it. It has a nice LCD screen, and a iPod style touch wheel that works really well, and has logical (if not a bit complex menu's and commands - as it can do some quite clever stuff !)

One thing it doesn't come with is a charger for its 7.2V NiMH battery pack.

Fortunately I already had a constant current charger I could use, but I have to take the battery out to charge it, and I had to make a connector to fit.

Futaba sell a charger for around $30, which seems a bit pricey, but is probably your best option if you don't have another charger for this sort of battery.

I'm a bit surprised I couldn't find a cheaper battery charger for Futaba on eBay etc (as its not rocket science charging NiMH batteries) but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Some site also suggest that you also buy a neck strap, but it comes with a basic strap, so I'm not sure why that would be that necessary to start with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31