FVP and risks for the heath

Reaction score
Hi to everybody.

i just wanted to know your thoughts about possible risks for your own health doing FPV. In my case I am using 600MW transmitter installed in my Phantom and I have a Fatshark Attitude with embedded receiver (antenna is on the goggles).

Would it be better to use a RXV not in the goggles to be far from the head?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

The only negative effect it can have on your heath is not keeping the aircraft in perspective to where you are and letting it hit you in the head.

If you are talking about radio waves there is zero risk to your health. Let me say that again. Radio waves won't hurt you. X-rays and Gamma rays will but they are on the other end of the EM spectrum.

Again. No heath issues from radio waves.

miskatonic said:
The only negative effect it can have on your heath is not keeping the aircraft in perspective to where you are and letting it hit you in the head.

If you are talking about radio waves there is zero risk to your health. Let me say that again. Radio waves won't hurt you. X-rays and Gamma rays will but they are on the other end of the EM spectrum.

Again. No heath issues from radio waves.

There is a lot of discussion on the risk of radio waves for the health, such as mobile phones, and cell antennas.

I understand there was fairly recent a case in Italy that one person was recognized to have compensation for a brain tumor caused by having a cell phone device as his primarily mean of work for many years.

I've seen many campaigns to avoid the exposure to infants to radio waves and even promoting the use of head sets and other devices to avoid having the TX very close or your body.

For radio waves to cause tumors they would have to destroy parts of your DNA. They simply do not have the energy to do so.

I guess everybody around must be getting tumors then, we are all saturated 24/7 in radio waves. It's just another BS story to scare people and for idiot researchers to con the government into giving them grants to do studies on the subject.

Wonder if I can free money to study the effects of flying quads in relation to our pocket book.

The average life expectancy in the US has never been higher. Back when there were NO radio waves the life expectancy was about 45 years. And the general state of health, including cognitive functioning, on average, at extremes of age, have never been better. Everything in life is a crapshoot, but your odds for long life and good health, generally, have never been better in the recorded history of the human race. And, as a species, we have never been MORE saturated with those damaging, deadly, invisible, must-be-bad because-I-read about-it radio waves. Exactly WHAT are you worried about????

Jury awards of damages are NOT scientific proof of anything except, in some cases, the emotionality, irrationality, group-paranoia susceptibility and basic irrationality of human beings. And, that lawyers know that and depend on it when the scientific proof does NOT uphold their premise.

That being said, a desire and willingness to strap on eye shielding goggles and spent a great deal of time and $ flying a small drone around is ipso facto evidence of pre-existing brain damage.

Too late! But you may well live LONGER doing it. You read it here first!

Reactions: DR.B
Peter Patricelli said:
That being said, a desire and willingness to strap on eye shielding goggles and spent a great deal of time and $ flying a small drone around is ipso facto evidence of pre-existing brain damage.
lol, that is very true....

image>>>>tin-foil-hat.jpg

oh my gawd, it looks like it's too late for that cat !!

Just a bit of clarification here - "radio waves" or RF radiation, can be harmful to one's health. But, as everyone is saying here, there's nothing to worry about with what we are doing. That's because we are using low power transmitters, and, as was mentioned, it's the transmission part that causes the damage if the power is high enough, not the receiver.

The cell phone thing is because we hold them next to our head and we transmit and receive with them. It's also a low power application. Is there damage being done? Some people think so. I don't know. I suppose if you asked me if I would like to take an RF antenna and place it next to my head and transmit with it I would say no. But I do it everyday!

coolll probably i am the only person in this forum qualifyed to answer this question since i have a digree on impact of elecromagnetic and Radio Frequency fields . ... Most of the reply's here were 50/50 true.

So... Radio Frequency generated fields can harm the human body and long exposures can even change the structure of your DNA. The higher the frequency the worst ... so if your mobile phone works on 900 , 1200 , 1800 mhz , with 200 mw and your fpv tx works on 5100 mhz 600 mw this translates to having twenty mobile phones ductaped on your head ...
Hoever ... your FPV tx is not in your hands .... is on your Phantom and those RF fields get weak after 3-4 meters ....

Also True The antena on receiver googles also pasivly radiates the rf but the values there are so weak that i wouldnt worry unless you are FPV 8 hours a day .... i would worry more if your wifi router is within 2 meters range close to you at your house or even worse if it is in your bedroom rather that what u occasionaly do with your FPV. :)

Manos.

manosmanoli said:
coolll probably i am the only person in this forum qualifyed to answer this question since i have a digree on impact of elecromagnetic and Radio Frequency fields . ... Most of the reply's here were 50/50 true.

So... Radio Frequency generated fields can harm the human body and long exposures can even change the structure of your DNA. The higher the frequency the worst ... so if your mobile phone works on 900 , 1200 , 1800 mhz , with 200 mw and your fpv tx works on 5100 mhz 600 mw this translates to having twenty mobile phones ductaped on your head ...
Hoever ... your FPV tx is not in your hands .... is on your Phantom and those RF fields get weak after 3-4 meters ....

Also True The antena on receiver googles also pasivly radiates the rf but the values there are so weak that i wouldnt worry unless you are FPV 8 hours a day .... i would worry more if your wifi router is within 2 meters range close to you at your house or even worse if it is in your bedroom rather that what u occasionaly do with your FPV. :)

Manos.

Great answer Manos. This is throwing a lot of clarity. I was worried more about the RX being on the goggles, but it is true that the exposure is very limited.

Ots said:
Just a bit of clarification here - "radio waves" or RF radiation, can be harmful to one's health. But, as everyone is saying here, there's nothing to worry about with what we are doing. That's because we are using low power transmitters, and, as was mentioned, it's the transmission part that causes the damage if the power is high enough, not the receiver.

The cell phone thing is because we hold them next to our head and we transmit and receive with them. It's also a low power application. Is there damage being done? Some people think so. I don't know. I suppose if you asked me if I would like to take an RF antenna and place it next to my head and transmit with it I would say no. But I do it everyday!

Radio can't be energetic enough to be harmful. Once you get past certain energy levels it stops being radio.

80~100mhz is the most harmful frequency for humans! That is why it is so strictly regulated, I just made a post in another thread, but I'll share this link here too, has some interesting information :)

But in short, low powered transmitters are generally safe, its once you get into the high powered range does it have the energy required to do damage! People are worried about the long term effects of low powered transmitters and being next to them for long periods, but no test/experiment has ever been able to come up with conclusive and repeatable results (on humans)

http://hps.org/hpspublications/articles ... ation.html

Driffill said:
80~100mhz is the most harmful frequency for humans! That is why it is so strictly regulated, I just made a post in another thread, but I'll share this link here too, has some interesting information :)

But in short, low powered transmitters are generally safe, its once you get into the high powered range does it have the energy required to do damage! People are worried about the long term effects of low powered transmitters and being next to them for long periods, but no test/experiment has ever been able to come up with conclusive and repeatable results (on humans)

Oh FFS, high energy short wavelengths are harmful. These come in the form of everything from UV to Gamma. Radio is on the completely opposite side of the EM spectrum from Gamma. The fact of the matter is that we are saturated by Radio light in our every day existence. Radio is in the non-ionizing part of the EM spectrum. It is not energetic enough to do anything harmful. Have you ever heard of anybody getting a burn from radio light exposure? For that matter how about a visible light burn? When we move into the ionizing part of the EM spectrum we get UV light. That is when exposure to light starts to get harmful.

Besides, if the radio part of the EM spectrum is harmful I would be dead right now. *cough* Astronomy/Astrophysics major with a focus on radio astronomy. *cough*

Read this site's info on radio. It is a bit more credible then the on you posted.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...dicaltreatments/radiation-exposure-and-cancer

miskatonic said:
Driffill said:

Oh FFS, high energy short wavelengths are harmful. These come in the form of everything from UV to Gamma. Radio is on the completely opposite side of the EM spectrum from Gamma. The fact of the matter is that we are saturated by Radio light in our every day existence. Radio is in the non-ionizing part of the EM spectrum. It is not energetic enough to do anything harmful. Have you ever heard of anybody getting a burn from radio light exposure? For that matter how about a visible light burn? When we move into the ionizing part of the EM spectrum we get UV light. That is when exposure to light starts to get harmful.

Besides, if the radio part of the EM spectrum is harmful I would be dead right now. *cough* Astronomy/Astrophysics major with a focus on radio astronomy. *cough*

Read this site's info on radio. It is a bit more credible then the on you posted.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...dicaltreatments/radiation-exposure-and-cancer

The article is about causing cancer.

This post is about "FPV and risks for the health." There are other risks to your health than those that cause cancer, like standing next to or touching an antenna that is transmitting RF with a high power output. You may not believe that it's true but it is. The FCC has publications regarding RF exposure limits.

Fortunately our FPV gear operates with very power so it's not much of a concern.

I can see 10 WIFI transmitters from my living room and I am guessing that they are always on, mine is after all. On average I am getting about 8 hours a day of 2.4ghz to 5.8ghz radio light just from WIFI routers around my neighborhood. My own WIFI router is about 10 feet away from me on most days. Even if Radio did cause health problems (which it does not) your FPV transmitter is hundreds of feet away!

My buddy Yoli does not have any issues and she is around a radio transmitter all day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czRE9rdHMA (I really do know this person.)

Just FYI. I am an astrophysics major with an emphasis on radio astronomy. We pretty much disproved the radio causes health problems in my freshman year.

miskatonic said:
I can see 10 WIFI transmitters from my living room and I am guessing that they are always on, mine is after all. On average I am getting about 8 hours a day of 2.4ghz to 5.8ghz radio light just from WIFI routers around my neighborhood. My own WIFI router is about 10 feet away from me on most days. Even if Radio did cause health problems (which it does not) your FPV transmitter is hundreds of feet away!

My buddy Yoli does not have any issues and she is around a radio transmitter all day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czRE9rdHMA (I really do know this person.)

Just FYI. I am an astrophysics major with an emphasis on radio astronomy. We pretty much disproved the radio causes health problems in my freshman year.

Your chosen major is irrelevant and you are missing the point entirely.

No one is suggesting that there's anything unsafe about 'radio.' And, we've pretty much concluded that FPV is safe because the transmitter is on the device that's flying and not the person, and, that we are transmitting with very low power.

Whether you and Yoli want to believe it or not, there are safety issues with high power RF transmission if one is very close to the source of transmission.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20