Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Future Phantom buyer need advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickey78, Aug 11, 2014.

1. mickey78

Hey guys, I'm new to this and I need some advice.

I want to buy a P2. I'm not sure which model to buy. I really like the P2 Vision and Vision + because you can do FPV straight out of the box without any modifications. I'm not looking for the best footage quality. I just want to have fun and have some range. I'm a little concerned about the range on the P2 Vision.

I looked at a lot of video on how to build a FPV setup, but I know nothing about it. I don't really want to start looking for individual parts and try to install them together.

So now I am questioning myself, should I go with a P2 Vision or Vision + for simplicity or should I go with a P2 with the H3 3D and install a FPV system? I already own a Gopro 3 black.

I think you can buy FPV combo kit also? So that everything is included? Anything to suggest?

I live in a rural area in Canada, there is no local hobby shops here so I can't rely on that to give me help.

Thanks for helping me.

2. ProfessorStein

If you're just looking for FPV, and not "looking for the best footage quality", I'd probably just go with a straight, non-Vision P2... and maybe not even go as far as a Zenmuse. Buy a cheaper gimbal (since you're going to have the cam pointed straight ahead most of the time anyway), and spend your money on a system like the FatShark goggles.

BUT... whatever you do... please always fly with a spotter who can keep the Phantom in sight. FPV is a lot of fun, but it's no substitute for a pair of eyes on the bird.

3. mickey78

I would rather like having the screen attached to the controller than having goggles. Like I said, I like the vision or v+ setup, but I'm concerned by the range.

Also, Any of you can comment on installing an FPV kit with an LCD ? Any recommendation?

4. Catalina36

There are several threads on FPV with good ideas for equipment. Just look around or do a search and you will find them.

5. HarryT

Worth noting that you don't have to put together an FPV setup yourself; there are lots of dealers who will do it all for you.

6. ProfessorStein

[​IMG]

7. mickey78

Again I do not have access to any dealer. Unless they are online dealers but because I am new, I don't know where to go. I don't mind working my hands a little it's just that I know nothing so I would be looking at the easiest setup.

Would you be able to achieve better range with a custom FPV setup versus the Vision+ ?? For the same price?

8. ProfessorStein

I like the systems that Aerial Technologies puts together. Really knowledgeable folks, and they test everything before it goes out the door. But I might be biased because they're down here by me. ;-)

But they're also online
    http://www.aerialtechnology.com

9. rhrpilot

Here's some a dice that may be very worthwhile looking into:

Go on line and communicate with jimbowers@foothill.net. He is a master and expert on Phantoms. Next, go to aces deals.biz. The owner is Peter Ellin and can also be reached at 888-239-2644. He offers Phantoms for sale and extensive customer service and repair service.

10. mickey78

Ok thanks, i'll give that a try.