Futaba T8J-H Question

Reaction score
I set my Futaba T8J up as per the HPI Guy's video and all works fine.

My "C" switch is set up GPS, ATTI, MANUAL

I was wondering if there was a way to set the H switch (the momentary switch) that when I have it pulled forward (holding it), that the Phantom goes to manual mode.

When released I want the phantom to work of the C switch as normal

Yes that's pretty easy to do.

The key is setting up a P-Mix of AV1->AV1 with H switch on, and then create a curve that alters the signal so that the AV1 (U channel) is shifted to Manual mode when the H switch is pulled. (you can verify in the NAZA assistant while it's running).

Sounds a bit confusing to the unfamiliar, but it's actually pretty easy once you know what's going on.
the NAZA determines what mode to be in based on the U channel (AV1). if it falls within one area it's GPS, if it's in the middle it's ATTI, and on the other side it's Man or Failsafe.
- or if it's anywhere outside those ranges it's in Failsafe as well. (which is what the D-switch is set up for in the video).

I should point out that there's a slight flaw in HPIs tutorial, in that it unnecessarily uses the AV2 channel in the failsafe switch, I put a video up showing how to do it so that it will deal with AV2 at all. (which I use to Roll my gimbal).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smN776CAnRc

So what you would want to do is set up the H switch with an aditional P-mix curve very similar to my video, but you would create a curve that would then alter the channel even more drastically to shift the channel into manual mode.

I"m not at home at the moment, but if you have difficulty I can try to whip up a curve sometime when i'm home.

So I Just changed my failsafe switch to work as you described in your video (I verified it works in naza)

So do I also use AV1 to set up the H switch like I wanted to?

I gave it a try but could not get the U to move past 20 in NAZA

any help would be great

cool, glad you got the failsafe switch in order.

yes, you'd basically create the same p=mix with AV1 as both slave and master, with the curve very similar but (I'm guessing) much more significant.
Pretty sure that should work, but in the event that it doesn't work, I imagine you could set up a Nor P-mix that alters the signal, but because it does not apply a curve, it will only put the Phantom into Man mode from either GPS or ATTI, but would only work with one of those. (with various results if the wrong mode is selected first. )

p-mixes can also be combined in a way tho, so if for some reason the curve p-mix didn't alter the signal enough, a nor-p-mix could actually be set up using the same H switch - thus amplifying the curve. sounds complex but one way or another we can make this happen.

The reason I want to do this is because I tried doing some Flips and rolls in manual mode, but I keep getting confused on that 3 way position switch.

Today I went to switch from atti to GPS and put it in manual by accident. I ended up inverted.

My thought is to pull back on the H switch which wil allow me to flip or roll and then let go of the H switch and be back in GPS or ATTI

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEmD9-BC_k[/youtube]

Makes total sense to have Manual mode on a switch like that (to me,. heck, I might give it a try myself, haven't tried Man mode ,. been scared).

anyhow,. I figured a proper p-mix.

I was wrong about using a curve to do so, curve works great for doing the failsafe thing, and would allow being able to switch to Man mode from ATTI, but the curve on the low went only was able to change GPS into ATTI mode. (when I set the lower section to -100%).

So screw setting up a curve and go with a NOR p-mix, heres a pic of what you want to make it look like:
chance it to AV1 to AV1, Switch Posi Down.

then place the Switch C to GPS mode..
select the rate L and change it to -100%
then select OFFST, where in parenthesis it should say (+100%) and HOLD down the thumb button on the Futaba, this will then change OFFST to +100%.

and that should be it!
test it out in the NAZA.
(but don't blame me if anything goes wrong while flying in manual mode! :D)

I can't seem to be able to upload a photo!? it's saying "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

try this link for now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmqpx3wch08f4 ... switch.JPG

That worked great!

I was thinking of now taking MANUAL off the "C" switch (not to have any more accidental switches) and change it to ATTI, but then I realized that the "H" switch would then just flip to ATTI also.

Appreciate your help

Cool.
yah,. I was trying to think of a way to have the C switch do GPS/ATTI/Failsafe or ATTI and then allow Man mode somehow.

I think it's actually possible using an additional P-mix curve that limits switch C so that it doesn't travel so far.
maybe I'll try to figure that one out tonight :lol:

Solved it!!

It involves creating an additional p-mix curve

AV1 into AV1
SWH
Posi UP

then change P-5 to +52% if you want the C switch to only go to Failsafe in the lower position
or +100% if you wan the C switch to only do GPS/ATTI

That worked great also.

So to summarize everything

C Switch - Although NAZA is set up for GPS-ATTI-Manual, The switch on the controller only does GPS-ATTI-ATT.
So the last pMix prevents the bottom position of the C switch from going to Manual.

D Switch - when flipped down puts NAZA in Failsafe, no matter what position the "C" switch is in.

H Switch - when held forward will put NAZA into Manual mode, no matter what position the "C" switch is in.

Everything works like we wanted to according to NAZA.

Well I took my first flight with the new H switch setting.

Everything worked as we wanted it to.

I held down the H switch while pulling back on the Elevator control and the Phantom did a backwards flip. Once I seen the flip was complete I let go of the H switch and it went back to ATTI mode and the phantom leveled right out.

The same for the roll, just pushed the Elevator control to the right while pulling down the H switch.

I really like the way this works.

I was able to perform 3 Flips and 1 Roll.
Flip #1: 1:10
Flip #2: 1:53
Flip #3: 3:00
Roll #1: 1:36

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGz5rYMZ2c[/youtube]

very nice!

I guess you could also have the D/R/Expo's also attached to the H switch, as Iv'e heard that sometimes manual mode is better with controls sensitivity turned down a bit? (still haven't flown manual mode myself, I fly with gimbals and stuff for video)

True, but I want to do a flip or roll, I want that Phantom to do it quickly !

I guess that's what the 20 Memory slots are for.

After a crash, I replaced my phantom shell.

I seem to get no response from the VR dial in the Naza for the X1 Channel.

On the Radio, when I turn the VR dial I can see the values going up and down.

I do have CH5 set to VR in the AUX-CHAN

Any Ideas?

I do not have a gimbal, but I used to be able to see the X1 channel slide when I turned the dial.

Everything else works fine.

I even changed CH5 to SWF, and when I tested it in the radio it moved, but nothing in NAZA.

Fdnyfish said:
After a crash, I replaced my phantom shell.

I seem to get no response from the VR dial in the Naza for the X1 Channel.

On the Radio, when I turn the VR dial I can see the values going up and down.

I do have CH5 set to VR in the AUX-CHAN

Any Ideas?

I do not have a gimbal, but I used to be able to see the X1 channel slide when I turned the dial.

Everything else works fine.

I even changed CH5 to SWF, and when I tested it in the radio it moved, but nothing in NAZA.

Odd, Ch5 should go to X1 in the NAZA. you have al the proper NAZA settings?
(set to S-bus and such)

Fdnyfish said:
Well I took my first flight with the new H switch setting.

Everything worked as we wanted it to.

I held down the H switch while pulling back on the Elevator control and the Phantom did a backwards flip. Once I seen the flip was complete I let go of the H switch and it went back to ATTI mode and the phantom leveled right out.

The same for the roll, just pushed the Elevator control to the right while pulling down the H switch.

I really like the way this works.

FDNYFish -- I am just seeing this thread for the first time, and enjoyed watching video of your loops and roll. What equipment did/do you have on board when flying aerobatic? I am guessing not a GoPro + Zenmuse? Curious to know what gear you have on board, and if known, all up weight.

I have experimented a bit with aerobatic flying with a Fatshark 600TVL camera, which weighs far less than GoPro + H3-3D. Curious how aerobatic the P2 is with full payload.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20