Futaba T8FG or T14SG 14 channel radio

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a Phantom 2, I'm about to upgrade to an F450 and expect in the future to upgrade to an S1000 (or similar) for high quality imaging.

I've ascertained that for the big machines it's better to have more options as far as channels go, than less. I don't want to buy 1 radio now and another in the future, so intend to buy a radio that is well suited to the S1000 of next year.

I like Futaba, they were the best when I was learning fixed wing 20 years ago.

It would be great if you guys could give me some opinions on the cheaper T8FG or the more expensive T14SG, both of which are 14 Channel, in relation to an S1000.

Thanks all
:)

I just went through the same process and settled on the 14sga. There are so many choices out there and its difficult to know what the advantages are of each unit. My LHS had the 14sg in both airplane and Heli version. I went with the airplane version. From what I can tell the only difference was the one I got has a momentary "Idle Up"switch as opposed to a Throttle Hold for the Heli crowd. The Heli version was also $50 more. Not sure why. At first the guy at the hobby store said it had a different receiver with more channels. Then he read the box and said, no they were the same.

I think I want to buy the spring kit to make the throttle self centering like the Phantom controller. Other than that I think I'm good for my next bird, probably a 550

That's a big boys radio right there!!! I want to buy three more just to say I own 4!!

Built Telemetry (have to buy modules though), Voices/Sounds for whatever you want, Self-Center and or ratchet sticks, 2 Sliders, 2 Pots, 6 3-way switches, 1 2-way switch, 1 - monetary switch. Mode 1 or 2 programmable. Also can use the computer to program via a GUI. Can do 16 Channels with dual x8r as well as SBUS, so the NAZA is a one cable setup. And of course whatever else utilizes S-BUS will plug and play.

Here is how I have mine set up, the BOLD letters are references the switches...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13500

Back to the topic on hand. I've asked this question and seen it asked loads of times. You're not going to get a satisfying answer. I went with the standard brand Futaba, obviously there are people here having good success with much less expensive radios.

Make a pick and see how it works out for you. Worst that happens is you end up selling it and getting something different.

Boozshey said:
1 - monetary switch

My Tarains definitely did not come with that! :shock:

jondrew said:
Make a pick and see how it works out for you. Worst that happens is you end up selling it and getting something different.

+1 It's all up to the individual user as far as what brand/model is best for them.

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments. After doing some more reading I decided to go for the bigger and better now to save the need of upgrading any time in the near future.

I'm pretty sold on the Futaba, but you have made the Taranis sound nice, so I'll read up on that a bit more. The lack of Monetary switch as standard with the Futaba might be a deal breaker :lol:

Yeah you'll be missing out. I just went and hit my switch a few more times so I could go buy more toys. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers