Futaba 8FGS Entering Fail Safe

Reaction score
Flying today my copter fell into fail safe mode. came home and landed safely. In a different location I had the same issue. However this time it trimmed a tree on the way with one prop about 90' up.

After the strike it took off and traveled roughly 300' straight away from me. I flipped it into Manuel mode and got control and flew it home.

I have a few questions. First, How to I test my TX to ensure I can rely on it.

After the strike how long would it travel to get the rotors back up to speed to catch itself. I cannot imagine it would be 300'

I would not call this a fly away as it had a little help but I would like to understand why it took off and went so far and why I could get back in manual mode if it went into fail safe to begin with.

All in all it was a good day. Counting my lucky stars. Just a set of props and a lot of stress. I have never tested my FS Mode before and I have always been scared to fly in Manuel Mode. Both of which were tested and passed today. The landing was not great but no damage I just wanted the bird home.

Were you in a hover for more than 10 seconds when this happened? If so then make sure your trim settings are on zero. The Naza is programmed to respond to you stick movements being taken over by rogue signals. If it sees a pith or roll input that stays exactly the same for more than 10 secs it will assume a human is no longer flying and go to fail safe. You have digital trims so in a hover it 'could' deem the trim settings as being a stick movement similar to this.

This can also happen if the sticks aren't calibrated in the NAZA assistant so try that too.

Failing that i'd check your servo wire to the RX isn't loose or damaged as loss of signal will also go to FS. You should be able to regain control when in range during FS by flipping to Atti mode. If it won't let you it suggests it could be the rx disconnecting and losing the binding in flight but if u flew again after it can't be that.

Of course it could just be bad luck with interference but unlikely twice. See how u get on with the above.

Thanks Dewey,

Does anyone have an idea why it ran? That is really what surprised me. I would have expected it to hit the tree and regain control after a few feet. as it is it dropped about 10-15 regained control (the way is seems) and took off for china for all I know. It presented as a Fly Away but I am unwilling to call it that given the situation of the matter with obstructions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic