Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG for Phantom 2?

Wangta said:
Do you need telemetry if you have an iOSD? What other benefits does it have?

I have an iOSD, probably will not use telemetry on the Phantom, if I do it will be either the "SBS-01G GPS Sensor" (in case of crash + two sets of readings to compare) or the "SBS-01V External Voltage Sensor" (in case I'm not doing FPV).

Wangta said:
Personally, I think the 14sg is overkill for a phantom, but if you got it already, it's Def a great tx!

Agreed it's overkill, I got it mainly because it isn't significantly more money and it has a few "improvements" over the 8FG, both sound like great radios though. I also fly planes for which the telemetry data may be useful.

ginsonic said:
Thanks for sharing this. I learned one more think. I don't like that too :lol: .

Ratchet throttle is that device that make an ugly noise when move throttle stick? And the helicopter RC version don't have it? I will contact my dealer to send me a version without ratchet throttle. Hope to not be to late.

Yes, the airplane version has ratchet (clicking) noise on the throttle and the helicopter version does not. I have read in several places that you can put I guess fuel tubing over something to make the ratcheting noise stop on the airplane version, I may be wrong though!

By the way, when you order a Futaba transmitter the part numbers are different between the helicopter and airplane version, for example on the 14SG there is the "14SGA" or the "14SGH".

My 14SG needed one screw removing to change the throttle from Ratchet to Free Moving (Centre Sprung), like the DJI Tx.
(UK supplied Aero version)

peec said:
My 14SG needed one screw removing to change the throttle from Ratchet to Free Moving (Centre Sprung), like the DJI Tx.
(UK supplied Aero version)

I'm extremely interested in the center sprung feature like the DJI Tx, how did you do this peec? Do you think you can center spring the heli version?

Also, is it a burden to fly without a center sprung throttle? I kind of like the idea of just throttling up and letting it ascend on it's own.

UPDATE: Better yet I read on another forum that I can use expo to kind of do the same thing, really nervous about this controller, lol. :shock:

My 14SG came with a kit (bit of sprung steel) that you can swap for the one thats pre installed on the back of the joystick. The spare one provides a smoother ratchet apparently. I took the back of the Tx to fit it (about 4 or 5 screws I think), but when I took the originally installed ratchet cover off (1 screw) the joystick sprang to the centre!

I would have thought it's the same for all ratchet versions, but a lot of people ask about it on the forums, so maybe I just got lucky.

I am not an expert at flying the PH2, but do know that It's a bit of a challenge to hit the centre spot to hold the PH2 in a hover without the sprung neutral centre. Like you mentioned, you can dial in some expo to give the centre part of the joystick gimbal less sensitivity, which would help hold the hover with the ratchet.

I see. Your missing the actual spring to centre? Unfortunately IIRC that's a service part, so you'll need to order it from Futaba or a decent dealer. The good news is, that I believe it's cheap to buy.

I recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision and would like to purchase a Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG. Both radios are 2.4 GHz. The stock radio that comes with the Phantom 2 Vision is 5.8 GHz. The WIFI for the camera that comes with the Phantom 2 Vision is 2.4 GHz.

1) If I replace the stock radio transmitter and receiver with the Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG will there be any problems / conflicts since the original radio was 5.8 GHz?

2) Will the Futaba Radio cause the 2.4 GHz WIFI any problems or decrease it's range?

3) Is the NAZA affected by the change to a Futaba Radio? Will I still be able to see altitude & location etc on the iPhone camera app?

4) Before installing the Futaba Radio can the NAZA settings be backed up so that I could reinstall the Stock Radio in the future?

Thanks

pgesler said:
I recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision and would like to purchase a Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG. Both radios are 2.4 GHz. The stock radio that comes with the Phantom 2 Vision is 5.8 GHz. The WIFI for the camera that comes with the Phantom 2 Vision is 2.4 GHz.

1) If I replace the stock radio transmitter and receiver with the Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG will there be any problems / conflicts since the original radio was 5.8 GHz?

2) Will the Futaba Radio cause the 2.4 GHz WIFI any problems or decrease it's range?

3) Is the NAZA affected by the change to a Futaba Radio? Will I still be able to see altitude & location etc on the iPhone camera app?

4) Before installing the Futaba Radio can the NAZA settings be backed up so that I could reinstall the Stock Radio in the future?

Thanks

I don't recommend you to put a 2.4 GHz RC into a PV. Buy a P2 if want to do that.

pgesler said:

Phantom vision is 5.8ghz. Not built for 2.4 which the Futaba is. You wouldn't want video and control both being on 2.4 right? That would be very risky and stupid.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk 4

pgesler said:
Could someone use the GoPro with a Futaba Radio? The GoPro uses 2.4GHz WIFI?

I don't want to be rude but ... you have any ideea about what you talking? Futuba control the Phantom unit and not GoPro camera. If you talk about using in same time (and not about controling camera) then is a bad ideea. Both use 2.4 GHz and will interfere. If you read Phantom manual will see that they don't recommend to activate GoPro's WiFi.

How are beginners to learn if the can't ask questions?

I've flown RC Planes for years but am new to Drones and Video. I apologize for stupid questions.

pgesler said:
How are beginners to learn if the can't ask questions?

I've flown RC Planes for years but am new to Drones and Video. I apologize for stupid questions.

I have drive just a RC car couple years ago for 1 hour :) I still wait CES before buy my first drone ever. But if you read at least the product manual can learn enough to understand how it work.

P.S. Again pls don't misunderstand me.

So if I used the GoPro on a P2 then I would not activate the GoPro WIFI but instead use a separate FPV video tx & rx to send video on a frequency other than the 2.4 MHz of the Futaba???

I am about to press "confirm" in the next 6 hours on a new Futaba 8FGH Super.

After spending a lot of time reading over threads here and other places, and doing my level best to understand possible future options and quads I may want to build or buy, I get the impression this would carry me through into the next half decade or more without fear of obsolescence (subjectively speaking)

...so... anybody got any reasons why I would be wrong in my thinking? Am I missing something crucial with my amateur assessment?

Hiway said:
I am about to press "confirm" in the next 6 hours on a new Futaba 8FGH Super.

After spending a lot of time reading over threads here and other places, and doing my level best to understand possible future options and quads I may want to build or buy, I get the impression this would carry me through into the next half decade or more without fear of obsolescence (subjectively speaking)

...so... anybody got any reasons why I would be wrong in my thinking? Am I missing something crucial with my amateur assessment?

Have you seen FrSky Taranis?

LeoS said:

Yes, but due to my green status, and a total lack of desire to learn open source software and no desire to tinker, I think that radio is well beyond my paygrade and purposes. The **** price sure is right though.

Hiway said:
LeoS said:

Yes, but due to my green status, and a total lack of desire to learn open source software and no desire to tinker, I think that radio is well beyond my paygrade and purposes. The **** price sure is right though.

lol yeah
I was about to pull the trigger on 14SG a few days ago... but Taranis' rssi alert (signal strength), voice prompts and cheap telemetry (and tx/rx!) got me on their waiting list instead...

LeoS said:
Hiway said:
LeoS said:

lol yeah
I was about to pull the trigger on 14SG a few days ago... but Taranis' rssi alert (signal strength), voice prompts and cheap telemetry (and tx/rx!) got me on their waiting list instead...

In about 3 to 5 years, when I have another Phantom, this one in pieces and salvaged for parts, the rc eye one extreme (just got it and it's tits on a ritz) fully set up, a 350 and 2 550's with custom crap I wasted money on, and then build the quad to end all quads I will most likely be holding the next edition of whatever frsky has to offer, as I will understand it and appreciate it.

I have been tossing out old digital proportional radios and nicad chargers, and a mess of r/c crap these last few days- found an old futaba in the box and remembered why I always raced with them originally...

...know anyone who wants a team losi xxx-s or an old super modified traxxas stadium truck with insane torque? How about a 1/18 scale losi truck with mamba... fully loaded. I am literally looking to drop the stuff for cost of shipping at this point- no hobbyists around me want the stuff- most of it is too old, obsolete, or already owned.

Some of these old boxes have been packed for over 15 years- I found an entire collection of White Wings (advanced paper airplanes- very cool) and a pretty expensive selection of rare yo-yos, a complete study in Tamiya mini-4wd cars (I used to totally own the local track when it was hot years ago) and I have 3 more boxes yet to open and rifle through.

My point in this diatribe, is that I have no less than 9 radios... only have 4 vehicles they went with... back in the day, that was what had me spending coin like balls. Too many radios for various applications.

I'm keeping that old futaba though- it still has the original rx's and everything as they were never used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4