Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG for Phantom 2?

Reaction score
Please help me decide which radio to buy for my new P2. Trying to decide between Futaba 8FG Super and 14SG. Do not need the telemetry on 14SG as I will be installing an iosd mini on the P2. The price difference is about $150. Not too concerned about price ...just wondering if there will be any benefits of the 14SG over the 8FG for my purpose. Thanks!

Want to know this as well...

Also how does one pair the TX and assign each function like IOC, GPS and Atti etc...

Are these that much better that the stock one?

Why are you wanting to go with Futaba?

P

I am new to Quads, but bought a P2 Gimbal version last week. I have added GP 3+Black, MiniOSD and Fatshark Attitude transmitter. I have read many many forums and viewed many videos on Phantoms / FPV / Radios and I came to the conclusion that replacement radio was the way to go to protect my investment (if that's ever possible). The consensus seemed to be Futaba 8J, but as that is rarer than Rocking Horse pooh in the UK, I went for the 14SG. The benefits I should get are better quality radio (range and frequency hops), additional channels (I have an unflown servo pressing the shutter button) and extra telemetry (14SG comes with R7008SB, which transmits telemetry back to the transmitter). I replaced the stock receiver easily despite having no experience (there is plenty of info on these forums / YouTube). I would say that the original receiver in the P2 may well be better than the older P1 version, as it does have twin antenna for diversity, but I don't remember reading a specific comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The stock DJI transmitter is a toy compared to the Futaba's. (and I'm not really exaggerating either).

If you're hooked on this hobby, the sooner you can get into a better Tx, the better off you are. (same with a battery charger, of which the DJI is also as crude as they come).

The Futaba's (and spectrums too I imagine), have better connectivity, better range, timers to help keep track of flights, real knobs up front to adjust gimbals, trim functions, and p-mix functionality and switches so that at the flip of a switch, your sticks will be half as sensitive (ideal for doing smoother flying/filming).

But honestly couldn't tell you which is better to go with, as I imagine the 14SG is quite expensive, might be overkill for a Phantom.
unless you plan to accessorize or move into a larger copter at some point.

Does the P2 have a Futaba compatible Rx on board, or do you need to mod one in like with the original Phantom?

For those interested in a Futaba 14SG ... just ordered one from Tower Hobbies for $484.99. Pretty good price!

I run a spectrum dx-9 on my evo800 and my flamewheel. I have the new phantom 2 but cannot run the spectrum on it yet because DJI has not released update yet for compatibility. SO, Im stuck with stock transmitter for now. I think they said January for should see the update.

:(

I've been led to believe that the futaba FASST transmitters are compatible with the phantom 2 built in receiver .
This was from quadcopters in the uk, so i can only assume it's correct.

i'm looking to upgrade to the 14SG, do you think i'd need to change the phantom receiver to the futaba one?
i'd rather not if it's not going to benefit me, as the built in one is a very tidy install

Aerial Media Pros is putting a Phantom 2 package together for me. They are including the 14SG as part of the package, that's the one they recommend. Didn't really ask them why though. Nice looking transmitter.

James Cole said:
Guys where can I find instructions to bind a futaba?

I was looking at this one earlier and they did a bind, maybe it will help:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/NJ8lkBwu_AY[/youtube]

gazchap said:
Does the P2 have a Futaba compatible Rx on board, or do you need to mod one in like with the original Phantom?

Futuba come with own Rx, easy to replace the stock Rx. Couple movies on youtub about how to do it.

Thanks for the reply´s guys but I do not see any binding just an installation of an RX inside the phantom... is that whats needed in the phantom 2? I thought you just bind it pressing a button without opening the shell...

James Cole said:
Thanks for the reply´s guys but I do not see any binding just an installation of an RX inside the phantom... is that whats needed in the phantom 2? I thought you just bind it pressing a button without opening the shell...

You don't bind Phantom to Futuba. You bind Futuba Rx to Futuba Tx.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj