Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Futaba 14SG Air vs. Heli (Q on difference & experience)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isky172, Aug 19, 2014.

1. isky172

As a precursor, I saw 1,260 posts in my search for Futaba 14SG - which is way too many to sift through, and why I ask with a new topic.

As far as the best flying/programming/updating/adjusting (pre-flight/during flight) for a Phantom 2 (non-vision) with varying hardware configurations (depends on the day), what's the deal between the air and heli versions of the Futaba 14SG? Does one come with a centered throttle stick? If so, which one comes with a centered throttle on the left stick? Aside from that - if existent - are there any other differences? Once in-hand, can either model be changed by the user to have/not-have a centered throttle (from day to day, with proper tools)?

I see the comparisons on Futaba-Rc.com, however I don't recognize anything that says what the differences are between the air and heli models. Nor do I see anything about a centered throttle stick - which is desirable in my near/immediate term for my case as I want that automatic "hover" setting already setup by default (mostly - calibrations and future aircraft types not withstanding.)

Who's got input/suggestions/other resources I can use in finding out as much as I can?

I see my future having several fixed wing aircraft along with an additional P2 (non-vision) or Px (depending on what they come out with next.) I guess an s1000 (or slightly lesser models) wouldn't be out of the question in the future either. As a final aside, I don't want to have too many radios laying in waste - now or in the future - which is my reasoning for trying to "get it right" this first time.

I appreciate any helpful/informative responses, in advance....

Thanks,

isky172
    Atlanta, GA

2. N017RW

The only difference (in the US) when I bought mine is the throttle stick... smooth for Heli(SGH), or ratchet for Air(SGA).

3. PhantomPhreak

Check out this post, at least the first few pages and the last few pages. The OP "Ianwood" has done a fabualous job with programming the 14SG for the P2. You can get a spring kit to convert the throttle to self centering by calling Futaba support.
    http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8358

4. FlyingHigh

I bought the heli version for the sole reason of it being cheaper. And I don't know why there is a price difference (tower hobbies) The only difference is that the throttle has a thingy that makes it smooth action vs ratchet. But that doesn't matter since you'll eant to add a spring to it anyway. Futaba will send that part to you for free

5. locoworks

+1 , but not 100% certain because on the older 9ZAP and 9ZHP the 'A' aircraft version had snap roll switches on the back. also a couple of the switches were different i.e. what is 2 position on one is 3 position on the other and vice versa.

6. N017RW

I was not referencing any other model of Tx, only the 14SG of which I am certain of my statement.

7. isky172

N017RW -

Thanks for the info. Clarification...could we be talking about 3 types of throttle stick then? You noted "smooth" for Heli (SGH), ratchet for Air (SGA), but is "centered" a characteristic of either of those/none of those (a characteristic of its own)/or is it in its own category? I'm thinking about something that is "smooth" but auto-centered when not influenced by an operator. I would also settle for something that has a ratchet-y feel but still auto-centers when not influenced by the operator. The OEM radio that ships with the Phantom 2 (Non-vision) is something I would consider "smooth" and auto-centered.

Maybe I'm getting too caught up in the details. I guess I'm asking "What Futaba do I order if my requirement was 14 channels and the throttle (left stick) came out-of-the-box "smooth" and auto-centered?" And additionally, "Do I have choices with regard to how I order - to satisfy particular needs?" (e.g. can I get "ratchet-y" and auto-centered out-of-the-box?) All without me opening up the back of the unit, if possible....I'm trying to avoid having to order something "else" to get it how I want it after I open the box.

I'm going to go research what PhantomPhreak mentioned.....

Thanks again -

isky172

8. N017RW

Cool on the research.

Right now you have two options at purchase... smooth, ratchet (i.e. Heli, Air).

Futaba [Horizon] will send you free of charge the parts you need to convert either to [smooth] self centering (arm and spring).

You will need to open the unit and install it yourself and it is not difficult (or perhaps a local shop if you are not comfortable in doing so).

It is permanent only in that there is no switching between self-center and 'maintain position' other than removal and (re)installation as required by your needs.