Furthest distance drone?

Reaction score
What is the furthest distance anyone here fly their drones from base?

Today was the furthest I have taken it. Like going to a small community park and flying the drone over neighborhoods or other parks. At least like a minute away distance at most, def not more than a mile. It was more around the neighborhood. But it was far enough to have left the park and to the point I couldn't even hear it or see it until it came back.

But it gets super scary when the video feed cuts out and the drone is far away. It happened today and panicked because my drone was far out maybe a minute away and was over some gated neighborhoods and another park in the area. But then after 5 seconds it came back on. How does video cut out randomly? Is it because of other houses/trees that block the signal? Does the phone's signal have anything to do on how the drone performs or is it just connected to the controller which is communicating with the drone?

I want to try exploring wilderness or farm areas, but wanna be sure it won't lose connection or else it will fall into a private property area with fences.

I do get warnings saying stuff like "interference strong, use cuation in long distance flight." But it's like a warning, but nothing happens.

If you understand you craft and its function you should know that when you have 6+ satellites and you have established your home lock and position if the craft looses signal from your remote it goes into a RTH mode and climbs to the altitude you have set in the setup to clear obsticles and then Returns To Home. Via GPS positioning. That includes if their is interference from trees, houses or getting out of range. Nice feature it comming back home all by itself.
Some call it Failsafe!

All good stuff- for your FAA to further hassle responsible operators.

OP- you do realise that the FAA, in our case CAA UK, keep half an eye on forum activity?

I live in a rural location with open fields around. There are a few homes around which I can easily avoid. I've no problem flying up to 3km away using FPV but I'd never think of doing it over a populated or suburban area I even keep well away from any horses in the fields however technically I'm not in VLOS. I guess that's still an issue if the authorities had a reason to check me out. But the worst I see happening is me crashing a drone into an open field or tree. I have a high hill nearby and that caused me a heavy landing as its 121 meters above my location but other than that I'm lucky in that there's miles of space to fly around in without seeing a single person

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj