Further flight

Reaction score
How do I get my P3P to fly further away than a quarter-mile it says week signal or lost signal and comes back call on GPS mode but I see videos of people flying there's a mile away and still no problems with clear video mine gets choppy

Get one of these

Attachments

• 1446523689995.jpg
    1446523689995.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 419
How do I get my P3P to fly further away than a quarter-mile it says week signal or lost signal and comes back call on GPS mode but I see videos of people flying there's a mile away and still no problems with clear video mine gets choppy
I go over a mile without a range extender LOS typically, and I don't even use the channel hack. Some city environments can hinder range a lot, go to rural areas to test your range. If you only get a quarter mile in a rural area, something is wrong. Do you manually set your frequency to the least used channel? With the 15-$25 parabolic reflector range extender slipped onto my antennas I can easily go over two miles. Tip, the higher you fly (up to 400 AGL) the further you can go.

I go over a mile without a range extender LOS typically, and I don't even use the channel hack. Some city environments can hinder range a lot, go to rural areas to test your range. If you only get a quarter mile in a rural area, something is wrong. Do you manually set your frequency to the least used channel? With the 15-$25 parabolic reflector range extender slipped onto my antennas I can easily go over two miles. Tip, the higher you fly (up to 400 AGL) the further you can go.
Even 2.7 miles is reachable with clear LOS from higher elevation over a lower elevation with a completely stock P3P setup. Fly from the top of a hill, or at least the side of a hill. Make sure your antennas are correctly oriented, which means parallel to eachother and perpendicular to the ground for longest range, pointed directly at the P3P. Lower your video data link to the lowest setting of 4, down from 10. At 2.7 miles, you've also reached the limit of your battery to get back home safely.:cool:

Even 2.7 miles is reachable with clear LOS from higher elevation over a lower elevation with a completely stock P3P setup. Fly from the top of a hill, or at least the side of a hill. Make sure your antennas are correctly oriented, which means parallel to eachother and perpendicular to the ground for longest range, pointed directly at the P3P. Lower your video data link to the lowest setting of 4, down from 10. At 2.7 miles, you've also reached the limit of your battery to get back home safely.:cool:

That's not entirely true. I have flown completely stock(no range extender, no channel hack) out over a marsh standing at sea level for well over 3 miles and back and landed with 33% battery remaining.

To the original poster: I've found that the biggest detriment to getting good distance is anything blocking LOS from your RC to phantom. I'm talking 80-85% less distance if trees are interfering.

That's not entirely true. I have flown completely stock(no range extender, no channel hack) out over a marsh standing at sea level for well over 3 miles and back and landed with 33% battery remaining.

To the original poster: I've found that the biggest detriment to getting good distance is anything blocking LOS from your RC to phantom. I'm talking 80-85% less distance if trees are interfering.
Correct. Under ideal conditions, with absolutely no wind, and no perfect signal conditions, you can go farther. However, even with no signal loss, if you run into a crosswind or a headwind on the way back, or linger too long at your destination looking around before returning, you may wish you had a battery mod! I just got mine, and 27 minute flight times are now a reality!:D

Better get a uav locator so when it flies away you can find it. Also you can make your own extenders.

Better get a uav locator so when it flies away you can find it. Also you can make your own extenders.
I fly over water, so if it goes down due to a "perfect storm," it's gone, and the fish won't sue! Flyaways are a thing of the past, once you mod the antenna with spherical polarization and boosters. You won't need to rely upon GPS to bring it home through RTH, because at 3 miles, you won't be losing signal. Tx range will stay strong out to 5-7 miles!

So are you saying it wrong by take off on you?. I don't care what you have... If it's in the air it can go its own way. Uav locator should be on all drones

So are you saying it wrong by take off on you?. I don't care what you have... If it's in the air it can go its own way. Uav locator should be on all drones
What's the point of locating trash in the ocean? :rolleyes:

Correct. Under ideal conditions, with absolutely no wind, and no perfect signal conditions, you can go farther. However, even with no signal loss, if you run into a crosswind or a headwind on the way back, or linger too long at your destination looking around before returning, you may wish you had a battery mod! I just got mine, and 27 minute flight times are now a reality!:D

I definitely could have went farther as I flew into a 10mph headwind and returned when I got to a destination I was specifically looking for instead of just seeing how far I could go. After lingering for a minute RC was hollering to Return to home. I knew I had a tail wind returning but still played it safe and came back as the bird requested. I was nervous as hell because if it dropped, it would not be recoverable. When I got it back and still had 33% I was kicking myself. Oh well.

Tell me about your battery mod.

I definitely could have went farther as I flew into a 10mph headwind and returned when I got to a destination I was specifically looking for instead of just seeing how far I could go. After lingering for a minute RC was hollering to Return to home. I knew I had a tail wind returning but still played it safe and came back as the bird requested. I was nervous as hell because if it dropped, it would not be recoverable. When I got it back and still had 33% I was kicking myself. Oh well.

Tell me about your battery mod.
33 % was just about right to land-- unless you want to stress your batteries to failure. The lower the remaining voltage the faster it discharges-- you have about two minutes left at 33%.

If you fly it by the ocean the you take that chance of sinking it. I have several friends including myself that recovered only due to the locator. One didn't have one... He never got his back. Roll your eyes all you want... Nipplehead.

33 % was just about right to land-- unless you want to stress your batteries to failure. The lower the remaining voltage the faster it discharges-- you have about two minutes left at 33%.

Soooo you're saying that the battery percentage uses the same math as the fuel tank on my vehicle and the last 33% doesn't last as long as the first 33%? [emoji6]. Gotcha

Soooo you're saying that the battery percentage uses the same math as the fuel tank on my vehicle and the last 33% doesn't last as long as the first 33%? [emoji6]. Gotcha
I am not saying that but DJI does recommend the deep discharge to "recalibrate" the Smart Battery about every 20 flights. The recalibrate term came from a dealer vendor who puts on webinars advertised on this forum, which are very informative. It is important that the deep discharge from 20% to 8 percent occur under minimum discharge load to keep from damaging the cells.

Correct-- it will go much faster.

DJI does recommend the deep discharge to "recalibrate" the Smart Battery about every 20 flights. The recalibrate term came from a dealer vendor who puts on webinars advertised on this forum, which are very informative. It is important that the deep discharge from 20% to 8 percent occur under minimum discharge load to keep from damaging the cells.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1