Fun one...

Reaction score
(skip to the end to see what I need)
I gave my working drone to charity; I have a Mavic and the P2 was just sitting around
When the person who brought my old drone came to pay; I talked him through everything (wth the charity owner) and offered to test fly it for him

He was parked illegally said no, paid and left

A week later he comes back and says one of the motors doesn't work and it needs a new ESC and motor (shop quoted him $300 for this lol) he wants a refund

The charity says sure bring it back and we'll refund you the money (i'll inspect if for damage)... or we can repair it for you (it's $50 of parts ffs)

I'm guessing the guy crashed it... why would you 1) wait a week to try your new toy and 2) when it didn't work not call the charity but go to a shop instead

WHAT I NEED:

Is there anyway of pulling data from a standard P2 to show it's been flown or crashed? Other than visually inspecting it (look for prop strikes / the gimbal being messed up / cracks etc) is there any thing I can check?

Many thanks

Sounds like a scammer!
After all, he bought it AS IS! and didn't want to test fly it before he bought it, so he was assuming all responsibility... it is on him now so I don't think he has a leg to stand on.
And yes, why did he wait a week before flying it???
Is the charity on his side? They were there when you offered to fly it for him before he bought it too, so they were witness to it.
I say... to bad, so sad!

First, this guy is questionable...
1) he parked illegally
2) did he have a written quote or just "he said"?
Doesn't sound like this guy is being very truthful at all!

I'd tell him to go fly a kite!

I don't think a P2 has a "black box" though....
He needs to prove that you sold him a non working quad... or he is just trying to make $300 off of you.

its a shame we can't pull data to see when the motors spun up

yeah it's bs; yes the charity were there when I offered to fly it for him (I'd checked the day before that everything spun up)... I'll see what they want to do but I was hoping we could plug it in and see data from the motors being spun up to prove that it worked @ a time and then it stopped

I am not 100% positive about the "black box" but I THINK that started with the P3's.
What I would do is ask him for proof, get the quote, and actually try the P2 out to see IF it really is non-functional.
Like you said, look it over VERY carefully! look at the props, shell for damage or cracks, landing gear for damage... in other words... everything.
See if there is any evidence of him opening the shell also as he may have tried to modify it and damaged the motor/esc.
Ask him if he was recording on the SD card also, and see if the video shows anything.
Don't know if the controller software (table/phone) records all flights either... that might be your best bet of "black box" proof.

Still sounds very strange and scammy!

Had a thought...
Maybe, just maybe, this was his plan all along.... keep it a week, come back to you with a false claim, get you to "repair" the motor and esc for $300, and walk away with $300 for a non-failed problem and make $300.
Since he didn't want to see it fly before he bought it, and had parked illegally so he couldn't spend alot of time with you, it was his plan to scam you later (a week later).

Still sounds VERY fishy and I would demand tons of proof!

I gather you didn't have any kind of guarantee with him either?
Still sticking with AS IS!
And a week later????? NO WAY!

(skip to the end to see what I need)
I gave my working drone to charity; I have a Mavic and the P2 was just sitting around
When the person who brought my old drone came to pay; I talked him through everything (wth the charity owner) and offered to test fly it for him

He was parked illegally said no, paid and left

A week later he comes back and says one of the motors doesn't work and it needs a new ESC and motor (shop quoted him $300 for this lol) he wants a refund

The charity says sure bring it back and we'll refund you the money (i'll inspect if for damage)... or we can repair it for you (it's $50 of parts ffs)

I'm guessing the guy crashed it... why would you 1) wait a week to try your new toy and 2) when it didn't work not call the charity but go to a shop instead

WHAT I NEED:

Is there anyway of pulling data from a standard P2 to show it's been flown or crashed? Other than visually inspecting it (look for prop strikes / the gimbal being messed up / cracks etc) is there any thing I can check?

Many thanks

There is no way that a Phantom 2 non-vision is able to record and store data on flights, crashes or anything else like say P3 and P4 can as the technology wasn't not available for that craft. If you are interested in a product some but probably not all the data you seek. check out Flytrex.
Drones & Quadcopters Tracker | Flytrex Shop it a very small unit and requires a monthly fee plus the cost of the unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan