Fun Factor is Gone

Reaction score
I have been a member here for 2yrs and this is my 1st time posting a thread in the General Discussion forum.

Most would probably agree, with the recent set of changes to the P3 firmware, the Fun Factor has become corrupt. 1st we are given a ridicules performance reduction due to a battery firmware that has never been setup to it's potential. Next we are introduced with Flight Zones that has caused anxiety with in just about every P3 owner in the US and UK.
I've been a member for 2yrs and this is my 1st created thread made in the General Discussion forum.

Prior to the Smart Battery, I alone had multiple flights where I was flying directly into a strong headwind at full throttle for roughly 15 minutes struggling to make it 500 feet back to home point. And never once was there any kind of mechanical issue. Based on stats, the live expectancy of the batteries showed signs of lasting 400+ flights. And then comes the smart battery making everything I just mentioned enjoyable memories of the past, as well as something we will likely ever see again. Gone.

I think it is safe to say that we are now faced with batteries with much less overall quality? I many situations after 6-10 flights several of these current batteries have a weak cell. And rather then addressing that issue the best option to date is to create a band-Aid by restricting performance. When the temp drops 10-15 degrees the perfect operating temp, the P3 is limited to around 21mph in P-mode while in a no wind environment. And remember, this goes back to batteries with possible weak cells. Why not fix the issue rather then create others like we're experienced in the band-Aids?

Then comes the Flight Zones. Does everyone know how bad it feels to race home to fly your aircraft with your son, only to find out the motors wont start. Then upon further investigation you find out even though your house is located in the country(suburbs) 1/4 mile from the nearest neighbor, that you are 3 miles from a old landing strip that shut down some 25 years ago that you did even know it existed? You become frantic. You have been flying out of your property for a number of years and suddenly you are faced with yet another hindrance. Why do we have to ask such a question as, why? If DJI is going to spend time & effort, why can it not be for something that makes our sport enjoyable instead? I'm disabled and have limits. Flying the P3 has been one thing that I've been able to do. But having to spend flying time searching the internet for answers, takes the fun out of it.

-Frank

I cannot comment on batteries, but regarding flight zones- isn't it linked to DJI GO app only? You can still fly either without app, or using different one, like Litchi app, without restrictions..

Edit. I might be wrong, is it in the firmware?
i'm not living in US, so i don't have those nfz restrictions..

Last edited:
I have been a member here for 2yrs and this is my 1st time posting a thread in the General Discussion forum.

Most would probably agree, with the recent set of changes to the P3 firmware, the Fun Factor has become corrupt. 1st we are given a ridicules performance reduction due to a battery firmware that has never been setup to it's potential. Next we are introduced with Flight Zones that has caused anxiety with in just about every P3 owner in the US and UK.
I've been a member for 2yrs and this is my 1st created thread made in the General Discussion forum.

Prior to the Smart Battery, I alone had multiple flights where I was flying directly into a strong headwind at full throttle for roughly 15 minutes struggling to make it 500 feet back to home point. And never once was there any kind of mechanical issue. Based on stats, the live expectancy of the batteries showed signs of lasting 400+ flights. And then comes the smart battery making everything I just mentioned enjoyable memories of the past, as well as something we will likely ever see again. Gone.

I think it is safe to say that we are now faced with batteries with much less overall quality? I many situations after 6-10 flights several of these current batteries have a weak cell. And rather then addressing that issue the best option to date is to create a band-Aid by restricting performance. When the temp drops 10-15 degrees the perfect operating temp, the P3 is limited to around 21mph in P-mode while in a no wind environment. And remember, this goes back to batteries with possible weak cells. Why not fix the issue rather then create others like we're experienced in the band-Aids?

Then comes the Flight Zones. Does everyone know how bad it feels to race home to fly your aircraft with your son, only to find out the motors wont start. Then upon further investigation you find out even though your house is located in the country(suburbs) 1/4 mile from the nearest neighbor, that you are 3 miles from a old landing strip that shut down some 25 years ago that you did even know it existed? You become frantic. You have been flying out of your property for a number of years and suddenly you are faced with yet another hindrance. Why do we have to ask such a question as, why? If DJI is going to spend time & effort, why can it not be for something that makes our sport enjoyable instead? I'm disabled and have limits. Flying the P3 has been one thing that I've been able to do. But having to spend flying time searching the internet for answers, takes the fun out of it.

-Frank
I agree with you Frank.

Hello Frank,
I hear you, I still have my P2v non plus, firmware 3.08. ( before restrictions ) I fly daily ( weather permitting ). I had dreams of getting into a p3, as did most of us! So I've been saving for a pro version. Not there yet, but the more I read, I'm ALMOST regretting the idea! It is really too bad, these are such great machines, and like you said FUN-FUN-FUN! As I still have fun every time I fly! I've never had ANY MAJOR issues with my craft, a few minor annoyances, but no complaints in general, all around, I love it!
I figured the 3 would multiply the FUN, a few fold. But instead, we see bad motors, arm cracks, pieces falling out from inside shell, fly aways, ect! Plus the fact you cannot do many mods on the 3p/3a's, I'm slowly loosing interest in them ( the 3's anyway ) then finally the fact the pretty much CHANGED EVERYTHING! So you have to re-learn it all over. Now with what you are saying, I might just buy a 360degree camera instead!
I hope they realize what is happening, and make it right.

I now have 3 p2v no plus models ( 2 of them I built from parts, using crashed crafts )
I have different firmware a in them, 3.08, 3.12, and 3.14. The version 3.08 is by far the best, or most fun.
( why? Less restrictions! Not just fly zones, but throttle response, decent speeds, ect! )

Big time Bummer man!

Take care,
Thanks for sharing!
J Dot

Reactions: Mark The Droner

-Frank
Frank my brother, I know what you mean. I had a new flyer over to the house yesterday and he had purchased a used FC40 (which I had to help him do an IMU Cali before it would work) as well as a new P3A. I was amazed at the FC's flying characteristics. I started out with a P2V in 2014 and worked my way up through the P2V+ v3.0,, to my current P3P. I have had 6 P3 batteries and returned 3 of them for bad cells....all with 25 or fewer cycles.
With over 2 million total feet flown, I am still loving the P3P for my photography and video jones since it is a killer platform for that but I am eying a new Yuneec Typhoon H to add to the stable AND I probably will pick up a FC40 also. I just bought a GPToys Aviax H20 and a waterproof flashlight style camera for dunking in the ocean to take video underwater. I feel fine generally about risking that $75 total expenditure.
NFZs don't really bother me because I spend a great deal of time so far away from humanity, I could fly a 747 without endangering anyone. I do think DJI has planned on a good compromise implementation but the road to hell IS based on well planned implementations. As of today the private airstrips and heliports are just warnings (extended warning zone) , while the real airports, national parks, prisons and sensitive sites have a strict NFZ (restricted zones) over their specific boundaries, "warning zones" at the 5 mile range)

Over the years I have totally enjoyed and respected your comments and our private conversations. I hope you will never lose the affliction we all would be the worse for your loss.

I feel you flynfrank. I'm very new to my p3 and this forum and all I hear mostly is how it used to be and how restrictions where looser. Unfortunately with Amazon as well as a growing popularity for this hobby the law and government has had to take some action. The thought from the outside is we are unrestricted and by setting regulations it appeases The general public. Our hobby should have some type of rules and boundaries for the safety of anybody flying in the sky, I get that. The problem is we don't have a voice to help argue our side to the FAA and local law-enforcement to find a happy medium.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have 3 P1s that I fly. Sure I have thought about upgrading but with all the restrictions and hassles...ain't gonna happen. I do this to have fun and relax. Guess that won't happen.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is "choice". There is no choice prior to being strung along. Of coarse there is options, but who thought they would have to consider options when purchasing your phantom. We live in a society where when we update our electronics it is to improve product performance. Looking back to last May, 2015 I took delivery of my P3P and was I blown away. It was just an adjustment of a few settings from being super great. I was in gear to call my friends and tell them to come get onboard.

Then come the updates. Had I known what I do now, I would have never performed any of the updates. I thought I had learned a lesson from the P2V/+. However the 1st update came along the day I received it, and I managed to go one day before adding that 1st update. But it was an actual good update and I thought, wow...dji has really turned things around. And then update #2 came around about 3 days later and sure enough, I made yet another mistake in trusting dji. Right back into the same ole song & dance. We got jacked yet again. There were issues with the VPS, Gimbal, Lost Signal, Tablet's and Phone's rebooting while in flight, and more. Some P3's were stuck and not able to update until the next firmware release, like myself. I went 5 weeks with no flying during that time.

I'm not going any where, and especially not to another manufacturer. The grass might be green with others, but it wont last forever. They all have their issues. They would have to be the #1 drone manufacturer world wide for me to make a move. Due to the hacker's current project there is plenty to look forward to. I guess is I did anything it would be with a group that was building out of their garage. Someone with the ability to set the drone up with the flavors you would want, and not a bunch of junk you don't want.

I've been considering building 1from scratch. No restrictions unless I put it on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj