Fun at the Beach with a Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
Greetings:

Over Christmas I left my normal Mountains of Wyoming domain to visit my parents at their beach house on the Texas gulf coast. There were some fun beach things I wanted to try with the Phantom, and I had a good time flying the Phantom Vision on vacation. My parents and sister loved my new toy, and are going to buy copters for themselves (Dad wants one that will take his Sony NEX7 up, any recommendations are welcome).

Thank you, and enjoy the Video
Chuggie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnvOmNpJh8[/youtube]

P.S.

By the way, my Pelican 1510 box set up for the Phantom Vision worked perfectly. My checked in bags were lost for a day, and I would have been panicking and having no fun if my Phantom was in a checked bag. The Vision was my carry on and made the trip nicely in the 1510 case. Below is a link to my Post about the 1510 case.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4790&p=43365#p43365

Great vid! Where were you standing when you got the footage of the pier?

Your dad will need a fairly big rig to get that NEX7 up, at least with a gimbal. I could probably get away with it on my beefed-up F550 but it would be seriously taxing the system. It would be better to go to something bigger for that, at least a 700- or 800-class. If he wants to go that route, I can help get him pointed in the right direction at least.

OI Photography said:
Great vid! Where were you standing when you got the footage of the pier?

Your dad will need a fairly big rig to get that NEX7 up, at least with a gimbal. I could probably get away with it on my beefed-up F550 but it would be seriously taxing the system. It would be better to go to something bigger for that, at least a 700- or 800-class. If he wants to go that route, I can help get him pointed in the right direction at least.

Thanks, I was at the tip of the groyne (perpendicular sea wall) seen on the left as the Phantom was traveling down the pier towards the shore.

I will look into a 700 or 800 class copter for Dad. I know he would be happy if it could handle his zoom lens too.

Thanks,
Charles

I like the video concept and some of the footage. Though here are some ideas that might help you have nicer future videos.

Try to find straight lines of flight, some of the correct movements you make add jerkyness and shaking to the video which is less visually pleasing.

If you plan to do any slow motion shots try shooting in 1080i 60fps. You're really not going to see any real difference in video quality, but slow motion videos will be nice as you can run the footage at half speed or even a little less and they will come out smooth and nice.

Using "Attitude" mode will also help smoothing out video as the Phantom will be constantly using GPS to hold it's position which can lend more jerkyness to the footage. Keep in mind your Phantom can blow away if a heavy wind hits it. Though you can also use tail winds to your advantage by letting it push your Phantom in the direction you're looking to film and fly.

Using good video editing software with the capability to remove shakyness will also give your video that final smoothed out look.

Anyway hope those suggestions help with your future videos and thanks for posting. I enjoyed it (and your song choice).

BenDronePilot said:
I like the video concept and some of the footage. Though here are some ideas that might help you have nicer future videos.

Try to find straight lines of flight, some of the correct movements you make add jerkyness and shaking to the video which is less visually pleasing.

If you plan to do any slow motion shots try shooting in 1080i 60fps. You're really not going to see any real difference in video quality, but slow motion videos will be nice as you can run the footage at half speed or even a little less and they will come out smooth and nice.

Using "Attitude" mode will also help smoothing out video as the Phantom will be constantly using GPS to hold it's position which can lend more jerkyness to the footage. Keep in mind your Phantom can blow away if a heavy wind hits it. Though you can also use tail winds to your advantage by letting it push your Phantom in the direction you're looking to film and fly.

Using good video editing software with the capability to remove shakyness will also give your video that final smoothed out look.

Anyway hope those suggestions help with your future videos and thanks for posting. I enjoyed it (and your song choice).

Thanks Ben- THAT's the kind of post I come here looking for.

:)

Chuggie said:
Greetings:

Over Christmas I left my normal Mountains of Wyoming domain to visit my parents at their beach house on the Texas gulf coast. There were some fun beach things I wanted to try with the Phantom, and I had a good time flying the Phantom Vision on vacation. My parents and sister loved my new toy, and are going to buy copters for themselves (Dad wants one that will take his Sony NEX7 up, any recommendations are welcome).

Thank you, and enjoy the Video
Chuggie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnvOmNpJh8[/youtube]

P.S.

By the way, my Pelican 1510 box set up for the Phantom Vision worked perfectly. My checked in bags were lost for a day, and I would have been panicking and having no fun if my Phantom was in a checked bag. The Vision was my carry on and made the trip nicely in the 1510 case. Below is a link to my Post about the 1510 case.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4790&p=43365#p43365

Very, very cool!!!!

[/quote]Very, very cool!!!![/quote]

Thanks for the compliment. Lately, I have been looking at the world with an eye towards the sky, seeking fun places to fly the Phantom, and the beach turned out to be a nice change from the mountains and canyons where I normally fly.

Have Fun Man,
Chuggie

Very, very cool!!!![/quote]

Thanks for the compliment. Lately, I have been looking at the world with an eye towards the sky, seeking fun places to fly the Phantom, and the beach turned out to be a nice change from the mountains and canyons where I normally fly.

Have Fun Man,
Chuggie[/quote]

How were the winds you encountered while flying at the beach?

Knighthawk said:
Very, very cool!!!!

Have Fun Man,
Chuggie[/quote]

How were the winds you encountered while flying at the beach?[/quote]

The winds were strong, I was up in 12-20mph winds most of the time.

BenDronePilot said:

I have been trying to improve my video through your suggestions, and my shots are looking better. I still am thinking of investing in one of those $400 2D vision gimbals to stabilize things a bit more.

Thanks for the advice,
Chuggie

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic