Full sock No Fly?

Reaction score
So I go out to my RC park ready to fly. I puss out Why you ask? The wind sock was at full attention. Am I full puss or not? I didn't fly!!

Prylar Bek said:
So I go out to my RC park ready to fly. I puss out Why you ask? The wind sock was at full attention. Am I full puss or not? I didn't fly!!

There is no such thing as being too careful. A full windsock, if its an FAA approved windsock, indicates winds of 15nm or 17 mph. My Phantom has been in 20 mph steady winds and flown fine. The higher you go though, the faster the wind can be (winds aloft). If the wind speed exceeds how fast your phantom can fly through the air (35mph- to be safe), you will watch it slowly drift away.

You can easily check actual wind speed and winds aloft online. If they are below 20, don't worry too much, depending on your experience. If you won't fly in 15 mph wins, then you ARE a puss!

Take off 50m upwind from where you are standing - this will help you retrieve your phantom if the wind is too strong.
Take off and then try to fly upwind. Repeat at different heights. If she cant fight the wind, catch-land, call it day and gtfo!!

Prylar Bek said:
Am I full puss or not?
100% full puss :p

You should go fly... hunch needs some more work.

Thanks. The wind did die down for the first two sorties. On #3 it came back up big (full sock at attention) the bird was STRUGGLING to maintain GPS stability. I flew a short flight.

I have flown ATTI, thank you very much and it was equally as unstable and by the way, how many flight have you flown?

Oh nothing, Just wanted to know. And as stated, I flew in ATTI in the wind today and the results weren't that different then in GPS mode and as you put it..."expanding my horizons" like your some freaking expert in flying!

Erotic Panda said:
Prylar Bek said:
Oh nothing, Just wanted to know. And as stated, I flew in ATTI in the wind today and the results weren't that different then in GPS mode and as you put it..."expanding my horizons" like your some freaking expert in flying!

You only have yourself to blame for your inferiority issues.

Good luck with that.

Really, when guys like you that have 23 posts come in here with your condescending attitudes about..."expanding your horizons,....competent hands..."etc., regarding those of us who are new at this, it makes me barf. And your BS about..:angles...etc., are just that BS. The ATTI mode changes none those attributes about how the PTV+ flies. All it does is takes the GPS out of the equation and allows the operator more control over yaw,pitch and roll without the benefit of GPS stabilization. Period.

That is true. BUT, as stated it also allows for much greater control, e.g. input to the aforementioned attributes. And anyways, I'm sure the other people on this site would benefit from your "opinion" facts, etc, regarding the the atritubues that the the PTV+ exhibits in ATTI mode. Just exactly where did you get your info? Certainly not from the DJI manual, I checked its not there, so, where is it? This ..."higher tilt angle..that allows..."? I have flow in ATTI mode on several occasions, and haven't seen it...we are waiting...

He's correct. You can fly faster in atti because it allows more aggressive tilt angle.
Check out FlyingFrank's speed record flights. There's a reason he uses atti mode.

It's true that flying without GPS allows you more tilt. I managed to screw up my GPS somehow while doing a foil mod and tilted right into the side of my house. Got lucky and nothing broke but no more flying without GPS for me!!

Prylar Bek said:
That is true. BUT, as stated it also allows for much greater control, e.g. input to the aforementioned attributes. And anyways, I'm sure the other people on this site would benefit from your "opinion" facts, etc, regarding the the atritubues that the the PTV+ exhibits in ATTI mode. Just exactly where did you get your info? Certainly not from the DJI manual, I checked its not there, so, where is it? This ..."higher tilt angle..that allows..."? I have flow in ATTI mode on several occasions, and haven't seen it...we are waiting...

Speaking of condescending :eek: ...

Very simple to see the Atti./GPS angle differences.

Fly full forward in GPS then, without letting off the right stick, switch to Atti. you'll see the difference.
That's how we got our info.

Swrtch to Manual and you'll really see some undocumented differences!

Prylar Bek said:
I have flow in ATTI mode on several occasions, and haven't seen it...we are waiting...

Your wait is over. This is something that comes with experience. Take your Phantom, fly up to 100 feet. Zoom downrange and back. After you pass overhead and hear the doppler shift, switch to ATTI. You will hear an increase in speed as the Phantom tilts further than GPS mode allows and the motors rev up to compensate.

Repeat. Look down at your speed readout after you switch from GPS to ATTI. You will see the speed increase.

Repeat, at night. Fly away from yourself. Switch to ATTI. You will see the LEDs brighten as the pitch increases.

ATTI allows greater speed of the Phantom through the air, not greater control, and will allow you to overcome stronger winds than GPS mode will. Also, ATTI allows the Phantom to drift with no sudden stop when controls are released... it merely levels itself and continues its momentum and wind drift, hence the name ATTI, for Attitude stability. ATTI modes lack of sudden stops can make video smoother, but it can be more difficult to track a specific subject. Perhaps you should consider posting in ATTI mode (attitude stability - I am LMFAO at myself)!

Why did you get your panties in a bunch over post count? I learned the some fascinating things from new members. One guy turned out to be quad pilot for four years, building his own stuff, and had a ton of RC experience.

DrJoe said:
Prylar Bek said:
I have flow in ATTI mode on several occasions, and haven't seen it...we are waiting...

Your wait is over. This is something that comes with experience. Take your Phantom, fly up to 100 feet. Zoom downrange and back. After you pass overhead and hear the doppler shift, switch to ATTI. You will hear an increase in speed as the Phantom tilts further than GPS mode allows and the motors rev up to compensate.

Repeat. Look down at your speed readout after you switch from GPS to ATTI. You will see the speed increase.

Repeat, at night. Fly away from yourself. Switch to ATTI. You will see the LEDs brighten as the pitch increases.

ATTI allows greater speed of the Phantom through the air, not greater control, and will allow you to overcome stronger winds than GPS mode will. Also, ATTI allows the Phantom to drift with no sudden stop when controls are released... it merely levels itself and continues its momentum and wind drift, hence the name ATTI, for Attitude stability. ATTI modes lack of sudden stops can make video smoother, but it can be more difficult to track a specific subject. Perhaps you should consider posting in ATTI mode (attitude stability - I am LMFAO at myself)!

Why did you get your panties in a bunch over post count? I learned the some fascinating things from new members. One guy turned out to be quad pilot for four years, building his own stuff, and had a ton of RC experience.

Allllrighty then...well explained and as soon as the rain stops I will try your suggestions/experiments and see if I come up with the same results. I'm not so sure about trying that at night yet...and FYI, I'm getting more familiar with drifting in ATTI mode, the speed difference, as stated I will try. Thanks

Prylar Bek said:

He was giving you sound advice.
He was correct.
You should appreciate it.
And yes, you need to learn to fly in ATTI, it handles much smoother.
Be the Monk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31