Full frame dslr equivalent of GoPro Field of Views

Reaction score
Does anyone know the full frame equivalent of GoPro resolutions and field of views?

I'm trying to get as close to a 50mm Full frame DSLR... or as close to what the human eye sees for FPV.

d4ddyo said:
sar104 said:
d4ddyo said:
Does anyone know the full frame equivalent of GoPro resolutions and field of views?

I'm trying to get as close to a 50mm Full frame DSLR... or as close to what the human eye sees for FPV.

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3-field-of-view-fov-information

Not going to happen with the stock lens.

Wow... Narrow is even wide. There is no reason why i shouldn't shoot in any resolution in narrow and FPV should be easier to judge?

It will make FPV easier, but you are throwing away sensor resolution by cropping - that's why I prefer to change the lens, which maintains resolution. And gets rid of that annoying fisheye distortion.

[*]
sar104 said:
It will make FPV easier, but you are throwing away sensor resolution by cropping - that's why I prefer to change the lens, which maintains resolution. And gets rid of that annoying fisheye distortion.

Is that how GoPro adjust field of view? Cropping at the sensor level? So it's not really 1080p for instance?

d4ddyo said:
[*]
sar104 said:

Is that how GoPro adjust field of view? Cropping at the sensor level? So it's not really 1080p for instance?

It does and it doesn't... depends is the real answer. Because the GoPro 3+ can shoot at 4K... lower resolutions at different field of views still can shoot at their resolution.

"..the Hero 3 Black is capable of shooting at higher resolutions than 1080p and when it crops in for a medium or narrow angle, it basically just doesn't use the sides of the image sensor. The result is an image that is still 1080p—without any pixel degradation—and has virtually no image distortion."
http://gizmodo.com/5983584/getting-bett ... ra-footage

So For FPV and filming ... 1080p Narrow should be better for me in this case. I do like the idea of getting no distortion at wide etc with a replacement lens...

d4ddyo said:
[*]
sar104 said:

It has a fixed lens, so it certainly adjusts FOV by cropping. The Hero 3+ Black is a 12 MP sensor (4000 x 3000) so it can crop some way before it falls below full HD (1920 x 1280), but cropping is equivalent simply to using a smaller sensor and, in general, will give poorer images than increasing the focal length, using the entire sensor, and downsampling.

Here is a comparison in FOV between the GoPro Hero 3 Black at 1080 wide/narrow and a full frame DSLR w/ 50mm lens.

The lamp is 14 feet 7 inches away from both cameras.

2-Balls

Attachments

• FOV.jpg
    FOV.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 1,184
The GoPro 1080 Medium is about 16mm on a full frame sensor.
Not sure about the Wide setting, but I know it is wider than 14mm

2-Balls

Attachments

• 1080-16mm.jpg
    1080-16mm.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 960

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member