Full Battery Storage

Reaction score
I know we're not supposed to store a fully charged Phantom 3 Professional Flight Battery but I won't have my Phantom back until Tuesday afternoon and I have a full battery.

Would it be alright if I just turned it on as though it were actually in my Phantom and let it run down to about 50% that way? I've put it in a safe place in a steel ammo can in my cool basement.

Will it do any harm to the battery if I discharge it in this way?

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.

Bud

I know we're not supposed to store a fully charged Phantom 3 Professional Flight Battery but I won't have my Phantom back until Tuesday afternoon and I have a full battery.

Would it be alright if I just turned it on as though it were actually in my Phantom and let it run down to about 50% that way? I've put it in a safe place in a steel ammo can in my cool basement.

Bud
The capacity/lifetime reduction attributed to storing at full charge is cumulative. You won't see any effect from a few days. Depending on your settings auto discharge may kick in anyway (assuming the power button isn't pressed to reset the timer).

Bud
do you know how you have auto discharge setup for. I think default is 3 days.

Nothing will happen to these intelligent batteries. They start discharging from 1 to 10 days depending upon their setting. Even 10 days is ok. Only precaution to be taken is that don't switch on them to check if they are discharged as that sets the counter back to zero.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
May I ask a question, I'm new to drones so it will probably be a dumb one? So were not sapose to keep our batteries charged up? Do we just top them off right before we fly? Then what after we have used it and it's almost dead, do we charge them to a certain point? I could use any imfo, I have no idea the procedure ?

were not sapose to keep our batteries charged up?
You can try, but they will start auto discharging down to 65% after 1-10 days of not being used. You can change that setting in DJI GO. That setting is stored on the battery, so you'll need to set it in DJI GO while each battery is installed.

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

Do we just top them off right before we fly?
Yes. It's a good idea to always fully charge the battery before flying.

what after we have used it and it's almost dead, do we charge them to a certain point?
Charge them up until the 3rd light starts blinking on the battery.

You can try, but they will start auto discharging down to 65% after 1-10 days of not being used.

Yes. It's a good idea to always fully charge the battery before flying.

Charge them up until the 3rd light starts blinking on the battery.
Thank you very much, I've been wanting to ask this question , but didn't want to sound stupid lol. I just want to make sure I do everything correctly as possible. Thanks for the explanation.

Thank you very much, I've been wanting to ask this question , but didn't want to sound stupid lol. I just want to make sure I do everything correctly as possible. Thanks for the explanation.

That's OK, you still sounded stupid. I'M KIDDING!!!! I have a-plenty of stupid questions to ask lol. I've seen me do it!!

Is there any empirical evidence that there's a substantial decrease of battery function with this storing-while-charged nonsense? Has anyone taken two brand new batteries, used them equally, though stored one discharged and one charged and measured their actual performance?

Is there any empirical evidence that there's a substantial decrease of battery function with this storing-while-charged nonsense? Has anyone taken two brand new batteries, used them equally, though stored one discharged and one charged and measured their actual performance?
Yes.... some studies have revealed up to 40% reduction in capacity over a 12 month period. I have personally experienced this with LiPO's flown in high current applications (RC helis). Batteries from same manufacturer that were kept topped off ready to fly got significantly less cycles than those I maintained at storage charge and topped off just before flight.

Last edited:

Disregarding performance, I read something somewhere that said the auto discharge is more for protectiong the batteries from bulging when they're left while charged. Don't ask me the details, I'm no electrical engineer. I don't even play one on TV.

Yes.... some studies have revealed up to 40% reduction in capacity over a 12 month period. I have personally experienced this with LiPO's flown in high current applications (RC helis). Batteries from same manufacturer that were kept topped off ready to fly got significantly less cycles than those I maintained at storage charge and topped off just before flight.
If you've got a link handy, I'd like to read on the study methodology and results. Not that it matters a ton - I keep them charged because my flights are a bit spontaneous.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20