FTA-550 two way radio

Reaction score
I'm considering getting one of these to have with me in case somebody comes bee bopping along. I was out in the Bradshaw mountains North of Phoenix stretching the props out, nobody around, liv'n the dream and here comes this Cessna down in through a valley below the mountain tops. All he had to do was to change course up the other valley and somebodies day was going to get bad. I was below 400', (200 in fact) but so was he. It's used by some FBO for ground to air comms. This guy was within a half mile too.

I may never need it, but a I got it anyway

You would have to know what frequency he was listening to if any. I do agree having a hand held radio is great but pilots are usually are not talking until they are near an airport. Most likely they are listening to a different channel than you would ever use.

I don't get it???

This makes no sense.

People flying are not communicating/announcing their location or intention unless they are entering/exiting controlled airspace (where you shouldn't be).

If you want to listen to air traffic, cool, but that's it..

I would just use the nearest frequency of the closest airport with the chance that they would have that on. I could just chime in on the closet couple of channels and chime in to say "Local area traffic in the vicinity of <where I'm at> there will drone operations conducted at less then 400' for time < blah, blah> " Just a thought cause maybe some pilots will hear it and relay to others. Just trying ways to be safe and make us look like the good guys. I'll even stick a nice bright wind sock out to make it look official even.

No.

You are not licensed to transmit or operate on those frequencies!!!

This is not C.B.

Reactions: Jay911 and ianwood
Get your point N017RW. Whenever I was flying myself and heading into an uncontrolled airport, I would get one the radio and announce where I was coming in from and how far out I was. Entering pattern, down wind leg, and final for which runway. Its how I was trained when learning to fly

Totally agree SanCap. But at least you have one and its a hell of lot better than waving a white towel :) Going to love how this thread plays out.

Yepp... "You may only use your hand-held aircraft VHF radio in your aircraft under the terms of your aircraft license. You are required to have a separate Ground Station license to operate your radio on the ground."

No can do, sorry

Totally agree SanCap. But at least you have one and its a hell of lot better than waving a white towel :) Going to love how this thread plays out.

I do have a handheld on my wishlist. I do have a pilots license and am waiting for my 333 exemption. I think that I will mostly use the handheld for scanning the aircraft airwaves. You can set one to scan several frequencies at once. If I was flying near a smaller airport that had no control tower after advising the airport manager of my intentions, I would monitor the local unicom frequency. If needed and only if needed I would announce on the unicom frequency who, what and where I am.

I do have a handheld on my wishlist. I do have a pilots license and am waiting for my 333 exemption. I think that I will mostly use the handheld for scanning the aircraft airwaves. You can set one to scan several frequencies at once. If I was flying near a smaller airport that had no control tower after advising the airport manager of my intentions, I would monitor the local unicom frequency. If needed and only if needed I would announce on the unicom frequency who, what and where I am.

Not if you're on the ground!!!!

Reactions: Jay911
No.

You are not licensed to transmit or operate on those frequencies!!!

This is not C.B.

This is an interesting statement I found while researching requirements for using a ground station, although it may not pertain to radio communications.

"
Aeronautical Radionavigation Service
The Aeronautical Radionavigation Service is made up of stations used for navigation, obstruction warning, instrument landing, and measurement of altitude and range. Air radionavigation stations stations are usually operated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), so technically they are not radio services regulated by the FCC. The FCC does license some air radionavigation stations, however; if air radionavigation service is needed where the FAA does not provide it, the FCC authorizes private operators to provide the service, in strict compliance with the FAA requirements."

Well - it's definitely going to keep Cessnas away if you broadcast : "Local area traffic in the vicinity of Bradshaw Mountains - South Canyon - Phantom doing low level passes 400 feet AGL"......

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452211064.496081.jpg

Reactions: thousandyard
Not if you're on the ground!!!!

I wonder if this will change in the future? The FAA requires a commercial operator to have a pilots license, they also require the copter to be registered as an aircraft with an N number. Why not allow the operator to communicate to assist in see and avoid? Time will tell.

Well - it's definitely going to keep Cessnas away if you broadcast : "Local area traffic in the vicinity of Bradshaw Mountains - South Canyon - Phantom doing low level passes 400 feet AGL"......

View attachment 39762
looks like 4 feet AGL to me

As stated, you're likely to be on the wrong channel and unless you are a pilot or have a VHF radio operator's license, you aren't allowed to TX.

I do actually carry a VHF radio when filming in Los Angeles due to heavy helicopter traffic. Unlike most areas, LA has CTAF channels where traffic transiting the area will announce their location, altitude and intentions. It is useful for getting an Idea for the level of traffic in adjacent areas and more times than not, it gives us an idea of who's coming our way before we hear them.

I have no intention of transmitting ever even though I am licensed to do so unless there was an imminent situation. And even then, it might not do anything more than be confusing. There's very little chance they would able to spot your "traffic" and they certainly wouldn't be expecting to hear from someone on the ground.

This is an interesting thread. So it sounds like if you're a licensed pilot and want to announce to other traffic you're intentions you can't do it unless you have a ground station license? The FAA considers our drones as an aircraft so it shouldn't be an issue especially if you are that responsible. *shrug*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers