Frustrated with DJI

Reaction score
Have any of you had any luck getting decent service from DJI. On February 24th, I shipped my Phantom 2+ back to DJI after a firmware upgrade failed and left it unusable. At the time, the drone was about 8 weeks old--it was a holiday gift- and was in perfect condition (less than 5-6 hours in the air, no crashes, etc.). I tried to return the drone to BH Photo where it was purchased but I was past the return date and they said I needed to work with the manufacturer to get it repaired. I called DJI and spoke to someone on the phone -- who seemed to have no clue -- and they issued an RMA saying I had no choice but to ship it back. He told me it would take 3-4 weeks to get it back and they paid for ground shipping. I paid to upgrade the shipping to UPS Blue (another $12) and returned it but felt it was ridiculous that I should have to wait 4 weeks to get a brand new drone repaired when it was damaged by one of their firmware upgrades. If I had crashed it or something I would have understood--maybe.

Now, almost 8 weeks later, they still have not even looked it at. Once a week, I write an email or call to check on it but only get back a "we are extremely busy, it will be a few more weeks". Is this normal for them? Has anyone had any luck getting to someone over there who seems to care or can help expedite things?

This has been a beautiful weekend in the Northeast and it bums me out that I'm not out flying the drone. Ideas?

Mark

Reactions: lalvar40
This seems to be the norm for DJI and they are becoming known for their poor to non-existent customer support as much as they are for their great quads. This is going to be DJI's achilles heel if they don't fix it.
With new and capable competition from companies like Yuneec and 3DR who have fantastic warranties and customer service, DJI really needs to step it up.

3DR has tech support people (actual 3DR employees) who follow and post on their forums, and the new SOLO coming in a few weeks has a warranty that will replace your drone, gimbal AND GoPro if there is a loss or damage from a flyaway! Can't beat that.

Last edited:
Totally agreed. I've always been a gadget guy and an active purchaser of consumer electronics, photographic equipment, and other items that sometimes need mail in repair. But, I can't remember the last time I needed to wait 1/4 this long to get something repaired that was so new AND was damaged by no act of mine. Had I crashed the drown and needed DJI to be my body shop -- I'd get the delay. But, this is just ridiculous--they have had the drone longer than I have!

Is there a more effective way to get their attention? My calls and emails are getting me nowhere.

Mark

Sure. I was one of the foolish adopters when the 3.10 firmware came out and installed it immediately. About a day later, DJI issued a bulletin suggesting folks downgrade back to 3.08 firmware because of an unspecified problem with 3.10. I did this as well and the drone was fine -- I should have left well enough alone. When 3.12 came out, I figured they had fixed the 3.10 problem and installed 3.12. There is where the problems really began. Under 3.12 I was unable to calibrate the compass at all and DJI support told me to try doing an IMU (I think that is what it is called) calibration. This also failed and was producing "strange" readings according to DJI. They then told me to put 3.08 back. This "downgrade" failed on install and then the drone was turfed. It would power on but that is about it.

Clearly, the drone was unhappy with the 3.08 to 3.12 upgrade but the process of going from 3.12 to 3.08 was what really killed it.

If the drone ever comes back in one piece -- I will ONLY upgrade the firmware if I absolutely need to. I just hope they send back something that is in good shape--the one I sent in never crashed, had no scratches on it, and only had about 5 hours of flight.

Mark

Wow Mark, sorry to hear that. Look at what your legal options are at this point. I would also ask them to just send you the Phantom 3 if that is of interest to you

Unfortunately, I doubt I have much of a legal claim provided they ultimately return it in working order. And, I'm sure the hassle/cost factor of chasing them legally would cost more than a new drone. ;-)

There service is remarkable bad though. When you talk to them about it -- they don't seem to care as if I should be honored they sold me their product in the first place.

Mark

Some credit cards will allow you to file dispute up to 6 months after the purchase. Of cause that won't help you since you didn't buy it directly from DJI.

That's normal from dji... I give it 1 year until 20/30% of the customer's experience this and abandon dji and go to other brand...

Good idea. I will call the credit card company and see if there is anything they can do. Also, I think I will step up the calling -- to every 2 days - to see if I can push them at all. I can't tell if they are just totally overwhelmed or simply don't care.

Mark

Good idea. I will call the credit card company and see if there is anything they can do. Also, I think I will step up the calling -- to every 2 days - to see if I can push them at all. I can't tell if they are just totally overwhelmed or simply don't care.

Mark

Mark, you indicated that you ordered your bird thru B&H Photo.
Calling the CC and disputing the charge will only hurt B&H Photo and not get DJI to respond any quicker.

I did call the B&H folks who were sympathetic but said there was nothing they could really do. Ugh.

I've called and written DJI everyday this week and keep being told "We are forwarding your request to the appropriate department to respond." Unfortunately, after doing that they close the ticket, mark the problem solved, and then send me an email asking how I feel about the quality of support I've received. Do you believe?

I've now called or written about 10 times in the past two weeks and not received a single response other than notice of my request being forwarded or something asking about the quality of support.

I'm totally stuck... Think twice before sending your drone in for repair. I've ordered a Phantom 3 but am seriously considering canceling the order after this experience. This company is really unpleasant to interact with and does not seem to care. I think they have probably outsourced Level 1 support and the interface between the support company--that probably gets paid just to close tickets -- and DJI is just non-existent.

Again, any suggestions for alternate contact points would be welcomed.

Mark

Easy! Order the exact same model from DJI on a CC. Once the new bird arrives dispute the charge with the CC company. This method will surly speed up DJI's response...

My response to the CC company would be that DJI instructed me to send in the original bird for repair and never sent it back. DJI also would not responded to requests for detail. Make sure you have copies of all of your communication with DJI if the CC company requests additional information. For all you know they will never send it back and have basically stolen your item.

Or just claim you never received the product... lol

Last edited:
Aggressive, but interesting. I usually don't conduct business that way but I've tried to do everything else possible to get their attention without success. I thought about ordering a new one and using it until the old is fixed and then returning it. Unfortunately, the DJI return is pretty lousy.

I'll definitely give it some thought..

Mark

This has been an interesting read, far to many companies now days rely on a good product to carry them and don't get a rats @$! about their customer support once the sale is made and the product is out the door. After reading this the 3DR SOLO is looking better and better to me for my upgrade option rather than the P3. Also, our schools Tech Dept. that I work for is looking seriously into buying a quadcopter for video production purposes, and knowing that I'm the only one with a quad they are going to buy whatever I tell them we should buy....they may also be buying the 3DR SOLO.....I don't have much use for a company who has poor customer support no matter how great their product is!!

Bravo!

I don't know much about the 3DR Solo but can safely say the experience I'm having with DJI is far more trouble than it is worth!

Mark

Yea, you should check out their stuff.

http://3drobotics.com/solo/

Another thing I just looked up and found is that 3DR is based out of Berkley, CA....not to be a homer.....but I would rather deal with a company based in the same country that I live in.

I really love these guys. Out of nowhere I got an email from DJI:

------
Your request (114825) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

quartermaster2.jpg

R. G. (DJI Technology )

Apr 25, 13:32

customer response - placed back on hold

DJI North America

---

Anyone care to decode what this means? Despite 20 attempts to reach them they seem to suggest they are waiting on me!

Easy! Order the exact same model from DJI on a CC. Once the new bird arrives dispute the charge with the CC company. This method will surly speed up DJI's response...

My response to the CC company would be that DJI instructed me to send in the original bird for repair and never sent it back. DJI also would not responded to requests for detail. Make sure you have copies of all of your communication with DJI if the CC company requests additional information. For all you know they will never send it back and have basically stolen your item.

Or just claim you never received the product... lol

I fear you have been lost in the system, you may need to be proactive perhaps, there are a few ways to deal with this.
You have a reasonable expectation to be dealt with fairly and within a reasonable time frame and that is all based on communication, at this time that appears to have failed.

A direct phone call giving them 3 days to get back to you or you will move this matter on as a starter. You would have to give them time to understand and do something. I'd also ask for an extra battery free for there unprofessional approach to this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31