Frustrated. Compass won't stay calibrated

Reaction score
My PV has been working great and stayed calibrated for a while but now I'll calibrate the compass and fly fine, but when I put it away, get it out another day and fly it isn't calibrated anymore.

I'm storing/flying in the exact same way in the exact sale place. Not sure why it now won't hold calibration. I thought the compass may have gone bad but figured it wouldn't calibrate at all if so. It calibrates but won't keep.

Perplexing.

who recommends this?

The compass is designed to be calibrated and it should hold its calibration unless there is large magnetic fields that would interfere or you use the phantom in another geographic zone.

Reactions: imadago
I did it once when setting up, and only when I tear it down for any major repairs, or if I travel more than 10 miles... and it never acted any different or strange or failed to hold or get a gps lock.

Reactions: imadago
Hiway said:
I did it once when setting up, and only when I tear it down for any major repairs, or if I travel more than 10 miles... and it never acted any different or strange or failed to hold or get a gps lock.

Same here... until recently.

I'm also one who only calibrates after adding/removing mods or equipment or after opening the shell up for maintenance.

In my personal opinion if the last flight was a good one, with no drifting, then the risk of introducing a bad compass calibration is higher than the "risk" of flying without a new calibration - especially if it's a new site and you can't be certain there aren't any ferro-magnetic materials near, or under, your calibration location. Exceptions would be if I've travelled a long distance since last flight, or if my one minute test hover (which I do at the beginning of every flying session, regardless) shows any signs of circling in the hover - then I would land and go and find the best looking spot to do a calibration.

However whether you calibrate once in a blue moon or every flight I would recommend to everyone to pop the Vision up to just above head height and watch it, hands off, for a good 30 seconds to a minute at the start of every flying session (not every battery) and assess how it's looking compared to the usual hover behaviour you would expect.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I'm also one who only calibrates after adding/removing mods or equipment or after opening the shell up for maintenance.

In my personal opinion if the last flight was a good one, with no drifting, then the risk of introducing a bad compass calibration is higher than the "risk" of flying without a new calibration - especially if it's a new site and you can't be certain there aren't any ferro-magnetic materials near, or under, your calibration location. Exceptions would be if I've travelled a long distance since last flight, or if my one minute test hover (which I do at the beginning of every flying session, regardless) shows any signs of circling in the hover - then I would land and go and find the best looking spot to do a calibration.

However whether you calibrate once in a blue moon or every flight I would recommend to everyone to pop the Vision up to just above head height and watch it, hands off, for a good 30 seconds to a minute at the start of every flying session (not every battery) and assess how it's looking compared to the usual hover behaviour you would expect.
I'm kinda agree with what you just posted. It seems any false move and something is/could go wrong with these things for no apparent reason.

I agree 100% with Simon and that's exactly how I operate. I rarely calibrate because my craft's calibration is already awesome. I always hover first before flight. If it tends to drift or "toilet bowl", I'll bring it back down and calibrate, but that hardly ever happens.

Of course, this doesn't help the OP...

Pmcdn, are you calibrating in the same place you always did before? Could there be something that is interfering with a good calibration - giving you a weak calibration that doesn't last?

Guys,

Remember you may have to do an IMU calibration if you find your phantom drifting, this will help also;)

@Marknmd, Pmcdn posted his reply last March 2014, don't think you'll get a reply from him now:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31