Friendly tip --- do not compass calibrate under high voltage

Re: Friendly tip --- do not compass calibrate under high vol

krunkcopter said:
Just understand that you may introduce errors as the OP did when trying to do a meaningless calibration under some power lines.

Exactly... AND the OP immediately knew that he did not get a good calibration. Or did you forget about that part. So... to borrow a line from you... "calibrate at will". There's little issue doing it as often as you care to.

Also think about where you compensate vs. where you fly.

100's of meters, thousands of feet away?

What effect is there going to be from rebar or other material at the launch point that is going to effect your flight at those distances? So your compensating in a different 'local' environment that flying.

I agree compensation may be necessary from time to time especially when adding, removing, or relocation hardware in or on the a/c. But I choose to use the 'trust but verify' method of a quick test before a flight as mentioned earlier.

This has resulted in just one re-compensation in 4 mos. and 40+ flights after swapping the control system to Futaba (the first was out-of-the-box.). This includes flying in Fla.an N.C within a weeks time.

TEHO & YMMV.

A bad calibration is worse than no calibration. And no amount of calibration will fix your Phantom after you keep it next to your 15" subwoofer. Don't magnetize the compass.

this is quite a old post but found it interesting.

most drone manufacturers are not recommending to fly around power lines (I'm not talking about calibration).

However as I aware power lines carrying AC current (with 50 Hz frequency) doesn't make significant impact on compass. Due to the high frequency, compass doesn't respond to the rapid changing of magnetic field hence the effect will be minimized.

We are planning to purchase a copter to use for hotline inspection (i.e move the copter near the power line and take footage). However we are wondering if it is safe to invest on a product like phantom 2 or Inspire 1? Will they work normal with this kind of application?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers