Friend crashed my Phantom 3 into a tree, camera and ribbon snapped off gimbal

Reaction score
Friend flew my Phantom 3 into a tree and will be paying for the replacement camera..

Question -- does anyone know whether the Phantom 3 will still fly with a detached camera + ripped ribbon cable? I want to verify that the unit is still operational before I give him a quote on full damages. I haven't been able to get it to take off..

Much appreciated!

Friend flew my Phantom 3 into a tree and will be paying for the replacement camera..

Question -- does anyone know whether the Phantom 3 will still fly with a detached camera + ripped ribbon cable? I want to verify that the unit is still operational before I give him a quote on full damages. I haven't been able to get it to take off..

Much appreciated!

The camera has nothing to do with the Phantom itself and ability to fly. You can remove he camera completely if you wanted to. If it is not flying you have got other issues in addition to the damaged camera.

Btw DJI can repair your camera and phantom for less than the cost of you paying for a complete new camera assembly. Downside is you will be without your phantom for 2 months give or take.

What Ben said is correct. The camera and quad are independent of each other. I've ripped my camera clean off and the Phantom itself still flew flawlessly with full control from the RC transmitter. If your Phantom is not taking commands from the transmitter to take off or fly, you have a bigger problem than just the camera detaching from the quad.

DJI can definitely do the repairs for less than what you'll pay retail for parts but like Ben said, you'll be without the drone for about 8 weeks. Mine's in for the camera being ripped of the quad (my fault and long story) but it otherwise flew just fine. It's been there for about 3 weeks so I expect I'll get it back in a little over a month from now.

What Ben said is correct. The camera and quad are independent of each other. I've ripped my camera clean off and the Phantom itself still flew flawlessly with full control from the RC transmitter. If your Phantom is not taking commands from the transmitter to take off or fly, you have a bigger problem than just the camera detaching from the quad.

DJI can definitely do the repairs for less than what you'll pay retail for parts but like Ben said, you'll be without the drone for about 8 weeks. Mine's in for the camera being ripped of the quad (my fault and long story) but it otherwise flew just fine. It's been there for about 3 weeks so I expect I'll get it back in a little over a month from now.

how much are you paying for the repair, if you dont mind me asking?

He won't know that for many months. They sit on them for quite awhile before even checking them in, let alone diagnosis and communication of costs to the client.

how much are you paying for the repair, if you dont mind me asking?
My unit crashed and it cost me $491 to get repaired... This was quote...

Bottom cover kit: $8.00
Top cover kit: $5.00
Left landing gear kit: $4.00
Hd camera/gimble assembly: $409.00
1 hr of repair time at $65 per hour: $65.00
Total: $491.00

My unit crashed and it cost me $491 to get repaired... This was quote...

Bottom cover kit: $8.00
Top cover kit: $5.00
Left landing gear kit: $4.00
Hd camera/gimble assembly: $409.00
1 hr of repair time at $65 per hour: $65.00
Total: $491.00

so if i was going to spend the money to replace the camera id be better off doing it myself and saving time.

Did you let him fly it?

so if i was going to spend the money to replace the camera id be better off doing it myself and saving time.
Think the price is going rate for camera.....You'd mainly save hourly rate and time (8-10 weeks) it seems. I'm hoping my flies right and doesn't have to be sent back like some have reported.

I think I just offended my girlfriends brother in law. He's 30 and wanted to see my p3p so I showed it to him and demoed a flight and he said let me give it a try. Before he finished saying try I pretty much yelled no. Sorry but no one flys it but me ha

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4