Frequency of fly aways

Reaction score
Potential vision + owner freaked about these fly away stories. Worried about individuals and property damage (and losing damaging bird).

I realize the frequency of fly away on this forum are much higher than reality. Is this a common issue?

Thats a question that has been posted and discussed in multiple threads already.

The short answer is that there is a risk of a machine of this nature to leave you. I've not seen any real numbers to base that risk upon.

There is one constant in the RC hobby.. Its not IF but WHEN. Fly anything long enough and you'll experience a flight with a negative outcome.

If I was a betting man I would put the chances of a fly-away on any one flight at 1 in 200. But that is nothing more than a wild *** guess.

Edit - If the risk of loss is unpalatable then this is for sure not the hobby for you.

You also have to consider all of the threads where the OP said it was a "fly away", but later turned out to be pilot error after they shared more information.

The intro of multirotors into the r/c world has taken on it's own culture sort-of-speak with the term 'fly away'.
(I've alway said they are more a verb than a noun. ;) )

Anyone who has flown r/c aircraft in the past have dealt with similar losses and simpy called them crashes.
Sometimes it was explainable, other times not, sometimes 'dumb thumb', sometimes not.
'It's part of the deal'.

The self-stabilizing nature of this class of a/c simply increases the distance and time in which crashes occur.
Hence they seem to just fly away!

:D
Many new Phantom owners fail to fully understand how their aircraft operates. They come here to complain that the thing went buggy or something beyond their control happened.

Many folks on here have positive comments, too!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26317

MHL

Fplvert said:
Many new Phantom owners fail to fully understand how their aircraft operates. They come here to complain that the thing went buggy or something beyond their control happened.

MHL

True. BUT, there are many, many,many , very perienced pilots (just read today about another)..read up on this blog) who had a flyaway for NO particular reason! This is a real issue for pilots. new and old!

Prylar Bek, I haven't done a detailed survey, but it seems there are more fly aways that can be explained.

Prylar Bek said:
Fplvert said:

MHL

True. BUT, there are many, many,many , very perienced pilots (just read today about another)..read up on this blog) who had a flyaway for NO particular reason! This is a real issue for pilots. new and old!

Hence the reason for it being a verb.
There's a reason for them, numerous I'm sure.

Prylar Bek said:
Fplvert said:

MHL

:roll:
I didn't mean there's no such thing as a "flyaway". Even experienced pilots can have a mechanical or electrical failure resulting in a crash. That's the nature of flying.

There are over 18,000 users on this board. Eventually all of us will crash.

My point is that most of the crashes happen with new pilots. People who don't read the manual or get pointers from YouTube prior to flying are more likely to crash or have a flyaway.

Go to any forum, let's say (whatever car you drive). The majority of the posts will be from people having problems with (the car you drive). I bet most people have (the car you drive) with no problem and never even look at that forum.

MHL

Fplvert said:

MHL

Exactly, you will find out that a number of new drone operators refuse to read manuals, perform checks and just assume that the quad is 100% reliable.... A lot of the "flywaways" are user error rather than manufacturing defects.... I almost wish they didn't make these things so easy to fly......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic