Freefall then crash!

RedRyderMedia said:
b00st3d said:
Did you hold the throttle all the way down to the bottom limit for 3 seconds or longer? If so, you basically shut the motors down yourself.

Does that happen in mid air also? I thought that only happened when you land.

That is correct. It will not shut the motors down if you're airborn...

-slinger

I've had my PV2+ for about a week. Today I was flying. Depleted one battery and switched to a fresh one.

With the new battery, I ascended to about 250 feet and suddenly lost wifi access. Shortly thereafter I regained wifi. Then I started to descent slowly and all of a sudden was in free fall.

PV2+ landed in the grass and now getting gimbal error.

I'm concerned this is related to a battery malfunction since I wasn't having any issues with the previous battery.

mnmacguy said:
I've had my PV2+ for about a week. Today I was flying. Depleted one battery and switched to a fresh one.

With the new battery, I ascended to about 250 feet and suddenly lost wifi access. Shortly thereafter I regained wifi. Then I started to descent slowly and all of a sudden was in free fall.

PV2+ landed in the grass and now getting gimbal error.

I'm concerned this is related to a battery malfunction since I wasn't having any issues with the previous battery.

Did it power off? Did it have any power on the ground?

wow..scary..tat is why i am not into RC flying until this one where it made flying very easy with all the integrated sensors to achieve that 'RC flying now made easy, anyone can fly.

As one rule of thumb that need to be added to my list for P2V+
1. Straight down descend is no advisable..i believe it happened to me, i was caught in dirty air/vortex..and lost control..release the control and it stabilize.
2. Another rule of thumb which happen to me that causes a crash from 5-10 feet moving forward fast - dived into some bushes/wall.

-> firsts lift..elevate to about 5 feet, push it about 5 feet+ away and see if it comes back..if it does, then compass is properly calibrated. if not, immediately put it down and recalibrate.

1.9(before 2), which I believe happen to a lot of newbies like myself..wait 30+ sec before lift off. i believe my experience in point 2 above is because i did not wait 30 sec, maybe, i cant remember :D

i guess that has to be one rule of thumb to follow to minimize failure.

1.9 should read, wait until ALL you see is slow flashing green lights before take off not just wait 30 seconds.

Mav456 said:
vieks said:
Damm, just got this on saturday and now this. Was descending slowly from about 200 ft then at about 75 ft it just starts free falling all the way to the ground and crashes. Camera brake off and breaks a propeller. Black tape is ripped where it was attached to the camera( not sure what this is for ) and camera lens part broke of but looks like may be able to snap back into place.

Not sure what could have happened here. Calibrated before take off with over 6 gps signals, full battery on everything.

On hold with DJI service now, questions becomes can I get a new one right away or do I have to ship for repairs and wait a month to get it back? Some type of defect here just don't know what it is.
How many of these posts are actually from guys who crashed due to user error, and are trying to blame it on a dji defect? I'd say 90%

I'm sure that happens. However, I'm a very experienced flyer and had a P2V power off in mid flight and come crashing to the ground. I had definitely done nothing wrong and DJI has yet to address this particular issue.

hello there im in the middle of waiting to here back from dji. I have new phantom 2 plus and it has crashed three times now.
first time close to ground thought might have been my error windy day. np put new props on and prop guards try again this time it just takes off goes hard right and crashes . hmmm wth. so I take busted props and guards off np. put last remaining good props on and off I go . 9 1/2 min of video and my buddy is watching me im not even 50 - 100 ' out and just spirals picks up speed and crashes into trees wtf...... all three crashes I loose control of unit I release controls and it is still spiraling and picking up speed and going right.? so now I am waiting to see what dji says I ordered it direct from them. paid 1500 with shipping to Canada wanted to make some cash on the side with this thing and now I am afraid to fly it at all. this sucks . waiting to here from dji before I buy more props.
all updates were done and battery flew out of unit when it crashed two of three times... video shows that just as it picked up speed and spiral started video stopped hmmmm

Did you do a compass calibration?. You didnt mention it so I am thinking no. Because you need to before first flight. The last calibration was probably in China when they tested it. If you didn't do a compass cal you need to read up on it and the proper way to do it and everything about it. Sorry about your misfortune BTW.

Trying to connect the threads, OP posted a picture of a cold solder joint in the "Crash from 200 Feet" Vision Thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14282 ). It is possible that these "cold solder joints" may explain several of the sudden "drop like a brick" crashes.

oh yes . I did compass calibration when I got it. and twice after that. lights on unit where all giving me the green for go. I still have yet to here from dji. so we will see. will take cover off to see if there are any loose connections anywhere. did firmware update and compass b4 last crash so I don't think that's the issue. I think maybe power drop out because in reality it should have flown home if the remote lost signal. and it also should have hovered last crash because when it went out of control I let go of remote and it still spiraled and sped up and crashed . like I said also the video stopped recording as soon and it started to go out of control and I hadn't stopped filming it did it on its own.....hmmm

so unit is on its way to Hollywood California to get repaired or replaced ..... hope its good news

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl