Free Vision+ Training Video Series

Reaction score
I have put together some training videos for Vision+ users. There are more to come so feel free to bookmark it or subscribe for updates. I also would love to get feedback on topics people would like to see covered.

Please reconsider posting these videos. This is what I posted on your website and ill post it here too:
Please take this person's advice with a huge grain of rice...... You say... "Manual may get someone in trouble but I would risk that over trusting the GPS all the time. When something is going horribly wrong it is often because the GPS is not tracking properly and switching into Failsafe could cause a fly away."
I say:
Thats crazy talk! Never ever ever tell a beginner to enter manual mode! EVER! How long have you been flying multirotors to even dare advise this? I have never seen 1 conclusive video of a "true flyaway" on a pv2+, in fact I have only seen 1 "true flyaway" on a pv2 non vision and 4 "true flyaways" on original P1's. Please dont be giving into the hysteria of the word "flyaway" when it doesnt even exist anymore. Give good solid advice that is true and good and dont speculate on rumours please. Also another huge no no is within 3 minutes of your first video you already have your assistant software in NAZA mode, something in my opinion a new flyer shouldnt even dare change within their first month of flying. I would urge all new pv2+ owners to start watching all the older and original pv2 non plus videos on youtube, especially the ones made by Colin Guinn. Could the owner of this site please take my advice and dont give advice unless you know 1 million % that its true and correct. I commend you on the idea of making videos, I really do, but unless you can do it properly, please dont do it at all. From a concerned experienced flyer.

I have experience two GPS failures on a Vision+ so my opinion stands. When all else fails, manual is better than losing it completely. A Phantom should not be someone's first copter. Get a Hubsan to learn how to fly.

Ok well you stick to your own advice but dont be telling new flyers to follow suit. And I will urge any new flyers to disregard your videos.

I have been flying multirotors long before GPS and ATTI modes. No, you should never HAVE to switch to manual mode, but you sure should know how to fly your $1,000+ copter when things go wrong. Anyone buying a Phantom as their first quad is making a big mistake. You absolutely need the flying skills to land it or at least get out of trouble when the automated systems are not doing what they are supposed to. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I thought long and hard about my position on this. Everyone that I have recommended a Phantom to I have made sure they have bought a small Hubsan to learn on first. You should not be learning with such an expensive aircraft.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Ok well you stick to your own advice but dont be telling new flyers to follow suit. And I will urge any new flyers to disregard your videos.

Agree 100%
Although this is a very nobel effort to help new flyers, strongly think you should read all the comments on the various forums you have posted on and do the required changes to avoid any misinformation.

I like the NAZA mode so that I can bring my bird home when I can't see it, but I don't want to turn the TX off. I would not set switch 1 to have the capability to enter manual mode as I believe that the chances of me screwing up and crashing are a million times greater than the chance of the GPS system having a problem.

The English Guy said:
I like the NAZA mode so that I can bring my bird home when I can't see it, but I don't want to turn the TX off. I would not set switch 1 to have the capability to enter manual mode as I believe that the chances of me screwing up and crashing are a million times greater than the chance of the GPS system having a problem.

Given that I have seen several GPS-related failures I would argue that being able to take control, even at the risk of a crash, if far better than watching it fly away because the FailSafe feature doesn't know where the home position is. It only takes a little practice to fly in manual mode, it isn't as hard as some people would make it out to be, especially if you have been practicing with something like a Hubsan.

Except when you fail to get GPS lock or the Phantom has dropped below six satellites. Yes, in "normal" operation it works properly but then why have FailSafe on when you can setup IOC and have Home Lock do basically the same thing? This gives you more options and control. You are not losing any functionality by doing as I suggest, you are gaining more.

You say that the phantom isn't for first time flyers, I would slightly agree with you but the fact is that most phantom owners are completely new to rc flying and so many are finding it hard to get the basics as is evident in all the posts on crashes, if new flyers started flying in manual mode the amount of crashes would go up 100 fold.

nothing to be sorry about. I never suggested anyone fly in manual mode, it is for emergencies only. I do suggest you learn how to, but not on your Phantom first.

kgarrison said:
Except when you fail to get GPS lock or the Phantom has dropped below six satellites. Yes, in "normal" operation it works properly but then why have FailSafe on when you can setup IOC and have Home Lock do basically the same thing? This gives you more options and control. You are not losing any functionality by doing as I suggest, you are gaining more.
If you fail to get gps lock you dont take off, simple!
If you drop below 6 satellites its in atti mode, just keep it in your line of sight and bring her down if its windy.
I have never dropped below 8 satellites on my pv2 or pv2+

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
kgarrison said:
If you fail to get gps lock you dont take off, simple!
If you drop below 6 satellites its in atti mode, just keep it in your line of sight and bring her down if its windy.
I have never dropped below 8 satellites on my pv2 or pv2+

if it was that simple, there would be no fly-aways. People DO get into a hurry and don't wait for home lock. I have seen many times that I got home lock and then a satellite dropped off and it took a few seconds to get another and regain home lock. Impatience leads to mistakes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the advice I gave because it enables Home Lock which allows you to maintain control and bring your aircraft back safely.

I learned manual mode. Dicey, but not that hard. My S1 is set to manual mode. I think it is advisable to learn to fly a phantom manually, but after learning on a basic trainer, and after learning all the modes. Not a bad trick to have up your sleeve. Something to aspire to, and all that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers