Free Image stabilization

Reaction score
I have an FC40 and I was wondering if any of you have tried YouTube's free image stabilizing feature. It makes my videos look like they were taken with a gimbal. Huge difference and it's a great option for those that can't afford a real gimbal.

prodad works well and it also will remove the fisheye, but it messes up the video i think, it makes a 500 meg vid well over 2.5 gigs......and after you stablize and remove the fisheye, its blurry......

any video stabilizer will ruin the quality of a video. Its always going to make it look like a bad acid trip.

Remember guys the stabilizer is a band-aid on a bullet wound. It wont fix your real problem its just trying to mask it. I PERSONALLY would rather have shaky video than video butchered by stabilizer and making it stretch and warp. But that is just me.

The only real fix is a gimbal and well balanced props. all the other time and money spent is just a waste if you dont do that first. Also gimbals can be had as cheap (good luck buy ones) as the above mentioned software...so why wouldnt you get one????

chuddly said:
any video stabilizer will ruin the quality of a video. Its always going to make it look like a bad acid trip.

Remember guys the stabilizer is a band-aid on a bullet wound. It wont fix your real problem its just trying to mask it. I PERSONALLY would rather have shaky video than video butchered by stabilizer and making it stretch and warp. But that is just me.

The only real fix is a gimbal and well balanced props. all the other time and money spent is just a waste if you dont do that first. Also gimbals can be had as cheap (good luck buy ones) as the above mentioned software...so why wouldnt you get one????

I have used prodad, so I will have to strongly disagree with you.
It really is a combination of a lot of things, but if you fly well and have a 2axis gimbal, prodad can make it look like a 3axis gimbal.
And when you are using 2 - 3 second cuts for video clips, you wont even notice

Dragonash...you missed my statement saying "if you dont do that (the gimbal) first".

Stabilization has its place....but its place is not a substitute for a gimbal. its place is to fix small issues so you dont have to throw away an entire film because of something small. Youtube is a prime example.....they try to stabilize everything under the sun and it makes it all look worse than it ever was.

It come down to you can spend $50 on software and have "acid trip" looking videos. Or spend $50 on a cheap gimbal what will get the job done and be FAR better off.

I guess what everyone is saying is the best stabilization is the stabilization you don't need, and that's true. If you expect minor improvement in your video, you'll get it. If you expect a miracle, you won't get it. All stabilizers that I am aware of diminish the quality of the video because they subtract part of the picture requiring you to scale your image up...or down depending on what resolutions you have available.

This is one of the reasons that many like to record in 2.7k so they can scale down to 1080p without any loss.

If you really want great stabilization look to Adobe, or Prodad for those on a budget.

There's a free video stabilizer plugin for VirtualDub that I can't think of the name offhand. A quick google search should bring it up (I'm on my phone right now and can't be bothered). I used it before the Adobe stabilizers and it actually worked quite well. Not super user friendly, but there's a few tutorials out there that are easy to follow and once you do it once, it's a pretty simple process.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl