"Free" GS in p2V+ is Amazing... but limited...

Reaction score
It was a bit nerve-wracking to hit GO on my first GS flight, but it worked flawlessly....

Id love to use this to video a "fly-over" of my neighborhood (for example), but for that- the limited way point control is a problem.

For example, Id be happy to simply control the turning style (as opposed to STOP, pause, turn, go) which seems to be the default.

i know this functionality is available in the IPAD GS version, but that looks like a pricey option, especially if I need to buy the 900Mhz version ($500) to avoid interference with the 2.4GhZ wifi.....

So, I guess Im asking if folks think the p2V+ version will get some enhancements or do you think this will be it?

Lowepg said:
It was a bit nerve-wracking to hit GO on my first GS flight, but it worked flawlessly....

I felt the same when I first did a waypoint "mission" it's very odd to press "GO" and the bird rises into the air, heads off to the first waypoint and goes on to complete the "mission".... very spooky.. although I had my hands twitching above the controls ready to step in... :lol:
Hopefully they will continue to add more features to the software like being able to circle a given point in space - that would be cool!

You can always use more than one waypoint, one to get you close, another to orient your camera accordingly, pausing as needed to get suitable elevation and record time. Makes it fun!

Lowepg said:
So, I guess Im asking if folks think the p2V+ version will get some enhancements or do you think this will be it?
Like most technical gadgetry, there's new function/features/fixes released on some sort of in-determinant cycle until the release of a new hardware platform that is not backward compatible. Then for the old stuff it's pretty much "it is what it is".

I know that didn't answer your question. The only ones who know the answer are DJI and they're certainly not going to tell.

What I think will happen (which carries absolutely no credibility) is that there will be at least one more firmware update (rumors are it will be soon) and it will have the tilt lever support. I am not really expecting enhancements to the ground station function - for these reasons: it is a "lite" version, there is a full-featured $$$ version that does what you want, and there seems to be limited interest. I'd have to ask "will it sell more P2V+'s"? I don't think so. But that's just my opinion. I'd love to see that added. Would certainly make me more interested in using GS.

mmn said:
Lowepg said:
Like most technical gadgetry, there's new function/features/fixes released on some sort of in-determinant cycle until the release of a new hardware platform that is not backward compatible. Then for the old stuff it's pretty much "it is what it is".

I know that didn't answer your question. The only ones who know the answer are DJI and they're certainly not going to tell.

What I think will happen (which carries absolutely no credibility) is that there will be at least one more firmware update (rumors are it will be soon) and it will have the tilt lever support. I am not really expecting enhancements to the ground station function - for these reasons: it is a "lite" version, there is a full-featured $$$ version that does what you want, and there seems to be limited interest. I'd have to ask "will it sell more P2V+'s"? I don't think so. But that's just my opinion. I'd love to see that added. Would certainly make me more interested in using GS.

Yep- I understand your meaning exactly.

However, it' snot like the Ipad version is really setup as an "upgrade path" for the p2V+

adding the 900MhZ xmitter while not just expensive, also seems like a duplication of the control thats already built into the p2v+

Id be happy to PAY for an upgraded GS app that bootstraps onto the existing hardware.... I cant see why that would be possible.

Pure speculation on my part here...

I believe that 3DR has some significantly more advanced capabilities built into the Pixhawk platform - stuff that includes circling around a point of interest, for example. I'd suggest that part of DJI's strategy to remain competitive in their current market space should be to release additional features to make their GS feature set at least on par with 3DR's.

As new drones enter the arena and we all begin to realize that DJI isn't the only company with a good product offering, I think DJI will be forced into doing this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj