Frank's Story

For follow me to work you need a strong GPS signal on your mobile device.

Ok. Had a play with the video settings. Set them to 20 fps. Very dismal and dank morning. Frost on the ground. But I went flying anyway. Right at the end I did a bit of low flying just for practice. After 10 mins of doing that I cleaned the lens and took the video you see. Ok only a few seconds but it will give you a taster of what I have been upto. Enjoy :)

DJI_0003.MOV_000620381.jpg

Reactions: Karthikdoc
Ok. Had a play with the video settings. Set them to 20 fps. Very dismal and dank morning. Frost on the ground. But I went flying anyway. Right at the end I did a bit of low flying just for practice. After 10 mins of doing that I cleaned the lens and took the video you see. Ok only a few seconds but it will give you a taster of what I have been upto. Enjoy :)

View attachment 41164
Nice photos sir.

SD

Reactions: Frankc
Very icy and foggy today. Some may say what the point in flying if you cant see anything. Well I have just got my new tablet this morning, would you wait for better weather? So app loaded. I braved the cold and got out to the middle of the field. I simply sent the aircraft straight up 500 feet and it emerged through the fog to a bright sunny day. I did a slow 'point of interest' flight straight over my head. Then brought it in to softly land. Really enjoyed it.

Below is a sample of the sights I saw. The hills rising like islands in a sea. Hope you like it.
DJI_0004.JPG

Reactions: lotusteve
Nice too see your getting used to your copter, nice photo Frank (fog) beautiful!

Its all a question of practice isn't it. Slowly becoming second nature. I am teaching myself to use the copter the hard way first before I use the F setting in earnest. Orientation is the biggest obstacle, I have to learn to rely on the screen to tell me where it is.

One thing I did not mention. When I flew through the fog even on that short trip the props iced up! I would have stayed above the fog much longer but the engines did not sound right. It could have been the ice. Anyway I quickly landed. Did not want to be a person who has to post one of those "my drone just crashed" topics. :)

It looks like problems have developed. Yesterday I few. Luckily it was on the return journey and I was bringing the craft back to land. Got down to around 10 feet and was flying it towards me. Suddenly I got a "Remote Controller Weak Signal" come up instead of the "Safe To Fly" message. The craft went wildy left and luckily? got caught in a bramble bush. I shut the engines down and went to retrieve it. Meanwhile on the controller it self the message DJI Application has stopped working appeared and promptly switched off. So I gathered everything up and came back into the warm.

I cleaned the drone up from its rough landing. Took it out onto the garden table. Set it all up again, minus the props. Got the "Remote Controller Signal too weak" alternating with the safe to fly mode. Whilst fiddling with it I switched from P to F mode and back again. For some reason I cannot explain it cleared the weak signal. A nice steady "Ready to fly" again instead.

This afternoon out I went again. Got to the same spot. Set everything up. Darn! (or words to that effect) the **** RC weak warning back again.

So my plan of action is to reset the remote and see what happens. Both annoying and worrying.

have you tried flying on your samsung s6, might be sumert to do with the K1.

have you tried flying on your samsung s6, might be sumert to do with the K1.

I had thought of that one. But it uses the same Android system as the Samsung. That was one of the things to try.

Anyway. I relinked the RC to the APP. Re-set the aircraft by pushing the button in for 2 seconds. The weak signal message disappeared. I wonder if somehow it had changed channels?

So I have just been out with it. Re-calibrated the compass and went flying. It was quite windy but I still flew quite low. Around head height. Good thing I got all that practice in. Dont worry no one about. Did a few to and fro's. Ups and downs then landed again. Seems to be back to its normal self. One thing I did do though was fly it from a different place. Tomorrow I will try it from what I now call "The badlands" if it does not work there again I will know maybe what the problem is.

Just a warning. Prop icing is a road to disaster. Full size aircraft (once you get into turbo props generally, but some piston aircraft as well) will have a prop de-icing system. Not only can it induce vibration, but it can change the shape of the airfoil and cause a severe degradation of performance in the lift that is generated. So if your at a higher altitude to start with, you will notice it faster as you have less air density to start with. Bottom line here, I recommend staying away from fog if you are anywhere near freezing conditions. Though you may get some pretty shots and video, they may come at a high cost.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Follow me.

When the sunshine comes back and we have that touch of spring I have an idea for a small personal film I wish to make (no not that sort)

One of the effects I wondered about was the 'Follow Me' mode. Basically I wondered what would happen if you stood in front of the camera. Started Follow Me. Then walked towards the camera. The answer is it would back away from you and if your fast enough it would go over your head and start following from behind. Just what I was hoping for!

The other "problem" I thought I had was hovering. It was VERY gusty out there today. But I took the heli up to 22 feet exactly and let go of the controls. It hovered nicely. Dropped to 21.2 then recovered and went back up to 22.3 then down again. Could have been the wind. But I think dropping a meter but going back up again is acceptable. Dont know if its normal but its ok with me. :)

Getting the wind up.

Today was dry but VERY windy. So I thought come on Frank if you can fly in this wind/weather etc So I got the heli together. Waited till the wind abated a little took off. Cleared the trees. Breathed a sigh of relief as my greatest problem I believed was not tipping over or being blown into trees. I pressed record, yes I remembered this time!, did quite a bit of maneuvering. Let it hover. A big gust of wind caught it but give it its due it moved but went back to its original position. Tried course lock. Tried to fly it back on P mode, a lot of drifting. So I came back low to the floor, less wind. Landed. Very pleased with myself because it would be great footage flying in wind like that with the trees bending, low flying etc.

Turned it off. Just loosened the props. The wind caught them and they spun themselves off. So thats one benefit of high winds. Packed up. Removed the battery. Went to remove the SD card...... not there. I had not put the ***** SD card in. So nothing recorded. Here was I so pleased with myself for remembering to push record. Getting some good maneuvers in. Nothing recorded.

Lesson learned! (another one)

Follow me.

When the sunshine comes back and we have that touch of spring I have an idea for a small personal film I wish to make (no not that sort)

One of the effects I wondered about was the 'Follow Me' mode. Basically I wondered what would happen if you stood in front of the camera. Started Follow Me. Then walked towards the camera. The answer is it would back away from you and if your fast enough it would go over your head and start following from behind. Just what I was hoping for!

The other "problem" I thought I had was hovering. It was VERY gusty out there today. But I took the heli up to 22 feet exactly and let go of the controls. It hovered nicely. Dropped to 21.2 then recovered and went back up to 22.3 then down again. Could have been the wind. But I think dropping a meter but going back up again is acceptable. Dont know if its normal but its ok with me. :)

When you set it up in front of you, it will stay in front of you - at least that's the theory. In practice, it doesn't. Here's a test of 'one I made earlier'. The camera doesn't stay at a constant yaw heading and if you speed up at all, the phantom has a hard time keeping up. It'd only be useful at a fair height.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4