Frank's Story

I went back out this afternoon. Went to do the thing I thought I had done this morning. All went according to plan this time, except the day had become rather dull.

So this is my video of my flight. You will be able to see the jello effect.

Try this link Frank some good tips here well worth a read.

Reducing Jello and Getting a More Natural Look in Your Aerial Video

Thank you for that. An interesting video. All the points suggested in that video I have already implemented to take care of my Jello.

The prop balancer is winging (no pun intended) its way to me right now. I have just purchased some filters for the camera's lens. With both of those I am sure one will sort out the problem.

I have actually found, I think, a way of telling if your props are out of balance very easily. But until I have re-balanced and re-checked I am keeping it to myself for now. Going to have to wait until I can try a before/after video to confirm that my out-of-balance test really works. :) If it does it should prove really helpful and easy. :)

Its a tiny little screw about the size of a peanut or smaller. The centre is dipped where the allen key fits to tighten/loosen. They call them grub screw as they are the size of a grub.
Will see if I can find a photo for you.
53037-e698c812f3464c465fec4e1a927a4491.jpg
That must be UK slang. We call them set screws here in the US.

:) There are all sorts of meanings for the word "screw" in England. Some ok some a little more risque.

Did you know that prison wardens were/are called "screws"? That's because ages ago, weeks at least ;) , the prisoners had to turn a crank all day everyday. If the wardens did not think they were working hard enough they could turn a screw to make it harder for them. Hence the nick name the screws. :)

You Americans pronounce a buoy a 'booo eee' we pronounce it 'boy'. Tom-ah-toe to your Tam aaa toe. etc

Prop balancer

Well my prop balancing rod arrived today :) Took me a while to find suitable objects to turn into my balancing kit but eventually I got it set up. Beer glass and tissues underneath for that precision touch. They use the same method at NASA you know. :)

Yes everything was checked with a spirit level to ensure every object, top etc was nice and flat.

3 out of four props were well out. The prop half on the heavy side just simply turned to the ground. I got all four fairly well balanced then I went into the finer detail.

I did not bother with sandpaper I just used the very sharp edge of a good pair of scissors to finely shave off the non leading under side, inside edge. If you can follow that. On the final balancing it only takes the smallest amount removed to give you a good horizontal balance. Both blades parallel to the kitchen top after spending a good few mins seesawing from side to side. When your getting close to the balance it seems to take ages to settle down. 2 mins + but then the movement gets slower and slower eventually leveling out. Whereas originally the heavy side simply dropped straight down.

The last one, had to be didnt it?, was a pig to do. So I did what I usually do. Had a cup of tea and a think. Went back and took a look at the actual prop itself all over. On the upper side I noticed a small manufacturing error. A tiny lump of raised plastic that should not be there. I carefully removed it ensuring that side was now smooth. Put it back on the balancer. Perfect. It turned from side to side for a while before settling at straight and level.

Now all four props are balanced.

So after all that polava did it work? Its darkly overcast, windy and occasionally raining so, despite wanting to badly, I cannot fly today.

Watch this space.

Last edited:
Reactions: ebf
Ohhh what a plonker I am. Went flying today. More of that Jello effect. I was hoping the prop balancing would solve it. It definitely is much better though. Winds of 12-16 mph.

After I returned home and watched the video I was very disappointed with the film as the Jello was still there in parts. So I thought props balanced. The entire unit is solid. I then started to go over the quad inch by inch. Then 15 mins later I found it! A bit of foam rubber remained from the gimbal lock and I had not noticed! Beats me how I missed it, but I did! Now the gimbal is totally free. :) Id lay money on it (again) that is the reason for most of the Jello. The props were still well out though so it did them good to be very finely balanced.

If you look at 1:40 , 2:35 you will see the effect at its worst. At 3:43 & 5:51 the picture is steady as a rock. Better than before but still not right.

Last edited:
I find myself writing on two threads. The other thread relevant to the problem above. So I am just going to cut and paste from the other topic to save me typing twice.

After looking at, as I am sure you all have done, lots and lots of videos , tutorials etc it strikes me there are basically two camps so to speak. Those that say go to a slow frame rate and get that motion blur and those that like crystal clear pictures on every frame. After thinking about it for some time, yep you could smell something burning, it occurred to me what those really clear 4k videos all have in common when produced. They are all going really quite slow. Going slow reduces the strobe effect quite a lot. Also if you go into settings you can reduce the sharpness. I literally gave away a brand new £300 Sony camera because of the image quality. I now realise the pictures were too sharp. Giving them an unrealistic, unnatural look. Of course these drones have Sony Len's, which I am sure are very good quality, but do not give the best pictures. I have gone into settings and reduced the sharpness to -2. More research needs doing on my part I think.

So, hopefully, this afternoon I will put my money where my mouth is so to speak and put all this theory to the test. We will see. Just need calm winds and a bit of sunshine to put it to the test. :)

This bit really has nothing to do with Heli flying.

Just thought you might find this of interest, sorry about the rotten video quality,
skip to 39 mins. They are driving along the very road you see in all my videos. They must have filmed it 8 times on different stretches from different angles. Though watching it it looks like they are always driving in the same direction on the same bit of road, unless of course you happen to live locally and know better.

As I say sorry about the quality. If anyone knows of a better sample of that clip I would be grateful. :)

So that bit of foam has been stuck in there since new?
It will make a huge difference I expect.
When they first came out there were a few panic stricken videos about why do I get jittery video - very often they hadn't removed the polystyrene block thing at all.

Yep. I had removed the front bit with the warning square but had not realised a small bit U shape was still stuck right at the back. In solid. No wonder I was getting Jello. :) (he says hopefully)

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Fixed! (hopefully)

Despite it being very windy and quite dismal and dark I decided to go fly anyway. Not for long though as I have an appointment, those pints are not going to drink themselves. Anyway the previous day I had recorded a series of waypoints so I could repeat the flight. Flew them today not a sign of jello! But I also flew with a filter on and some new settings. I will only be sure 100% when I fly naked, not me the drone. To compare.

So I am uploading yet another video so you can do a before/after comparison.

If you really want to see the difference if you click on the boxy type of shape in the bottom right hand corner you will get a full screen view. In this view that Jello is very apparent, or not depending of course which video your looking at. To get out of full screen you just push Esc on your keyboard. :)

I know there is a big difference in colour. The one on the left has a filter, despite it being quite a dark overcast day. The next time I try it will be without the filter, unless of course the sun is shining.

Last edited:
I tried the Vertical App today to try and follow the car. Apparently, correct me if I am wrong, the Vertical App just allows the drone gimbal to follow the subject so you have to control the drone itself. Whereas If you use the DJI App it will follow you so you have to control the gimbal.

This is my attempt this afternoon. This is the view from my NVIDIA not recorded footage from the drone itself. ** will put video up later"

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Yup .. That's it frank ... Vertical controls the gimbal & the air craft if you let it !! To keep the subject in frame !!
Glad you got it all fixed !! Maybe adjust down a little, it looks a little over exposed, which is washing out your video. If you toned the exposure down a hair I think the vids would be top notch !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What's a vertical app?

Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming in theory its quite good. I thought it was equivalent of "Follow Me" mode but where the gimbal keeps you in focus. Apparently, for now anyway, its not follow me mode just keep the gimbal pointing at the item selected. It has a few bugs but they are working through them slowly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl