Fragile USB?

Reaction score
How many people have lost USB communication? The first Phantom I purchased wouldn't connect to a PC out-of-the-box (every computer I tried didn't even know something got plugged in). Got great customer service at Superstition Hobbies - they didn't hesitate to replace it. The new one connected perfectly, I was able to run all the cals, enable IOC and manual mode. But about 2 days later, I was showing off the RTH feature to a friend but didn't know at the time I had to flip the switch from GPS to Attitude mode to regain control. So I ended up frantically flipping all the wrong switches trying to take back control as I watched it try to land in a Mesquite tree. Wasn't pretty. Ended up dropping 12 feet to the ground. Plugging into the PC, I saw the ERR[26] (Y accellerometer fail) message and after researching tried to unstick it my slapping the side of the craft. When I did this, the USB stopped functioning and now it behaves exactly like the first Phantom I got (no machine even recognizes it). Am I just unlucky or does this machine have a very fragile USB. Anyone have any idea what is actually breaking? Is it the NAZA-M or the "Versatile unit" (LED+USB board)? I hope the latter since that is a LOT cheaper to replace.

I am having the same problem. Here is a post I have out there to let you know what is going on with my unit. Red Rocket Hobbies has a case open with DJI. I hope to hear something down the road. When I do I will update this post.

Has anyone out there had this problem? My computer does not recognize the Phantom when hooked to the USB. Can not use the software.

Here is some back ground:
- New Windows 8 computer updated and worked with the Phantom when first installed.
- After a flight or two had status light flash 1 green (GPS mode), then 4 green. After searching found that I needed to calibrate the IMU.
- Ran basic calibration and the Phantom flies just fine in GPS mode.
- (Matt from Red Rockets Hobbies) had a great test to try. Try to run USB in a different port. NO LUCK.
- (Matt from Red Rockets Hobbies) Try connecting to another computer I have running Windows 7, NO LUCK.
- When trying to install the drivers again it states "Not needed (No device for update present). (See Pic Below) Power is on with Phantom and USB connected?

Did you open the Phantom to see if the cable was disconnected from the naza on the inside?

Yes - I, too, get the "Machine successfully scanned. No device detected needing update." message if I try to install the driver. I got that for the first Phantom, but not the second until after I whacked it (not really very hard - I was careful not to damage the enclosure). This is the same message you get if you don't even plug the Phantom in. Yes, I did open both units up and everything was seated. I even tried replacing the USB cable with another (microUSB can connect directly to the Versatile Unit) with no change of behavior.

I have ordered another Versatile unit to see if that helps. Will let you all know.

P.S. Smacking *did* fix the compass error (the Green-Red-Yellow flashing on the LED went away) and it locks and flies just fine now - just no USB. I'm very glad I unlocked everything when I first hooked up (tip for new owners?) although I doubt I will be attempting manual mode for a while.

Bought my Phantom 10 weeks ago, and from the start would never connect to my PC and Laptop, two weeks ago after repeatedly being told it was a user error, I returned it. I am still waiting to hear whether it has been cured. :!: :?:

No news on my end. Matt from Red Rockets Hobbies (My Dealer) has sent in an inquire to DJI. Just contacted him and he said...
Jim Faydenko <[email protected]>
Apr 14 (6 days ago)

to Matt
I am guessing you have not heard anything from DJI? My Phantom has taken a few hits and will need some adjustments soon. Let me know.

Matt Cross
Apr 15 (5 days ago)

Hi Jim,

Nothing from them yet. They are slowed down by the show last week.

So I wait. Bummer is I just purchased a gimbal and can not hook it up.

diggingit111 said:
No news on my end. Matt from Red Rockets Hobbies (My Dealer) has sent in an inquire to DJI. Just contacted him and he said...
Jim Faydenko <[email protected]>
Apr 14 (6 days ago)

to Matt
I am guessing you have not heard anything from DJI? My Phantom has taken a few hits and will need some adjustments soon. Let me know.

Matt Cross
Apr 15 (5 days ago)

Hi Jim,

Nothing from them yet. They are slowed down by the show last week.

So I wait. Bummer is I just purchased a gimbal and can not hook it up.

Don't get your hopes up. DJI are slack to dealers, and customers, and dead slow if they respond at all. A lot of Phantoms fail to connect to the DJI software. Seems a fault with the Phantom. Mine failed to connect out of the box, Had a solid green light, which means the USB is working, but software does not work.,

I can say that simply replacing the "versatile unit" (the little board with the LED and the USB connector) didn't fix mine. It is something in the Naza unit itself that is broken.

TickTock said:
I can say that simply replacing the "versatile unit" (the little board with the LED and the USB connector) didn't fix mine. It is something in the Naza unit itself that is broken.

Seems a pretty common problem, which makes your Phantom a piece of junk. It's only good for the rubbish tin, when this happens. Seems many won't even connect out of the box.

Will be more like buggy software/Firmware in the Phantom itself will be the problem, and DJI will do nothing about it, they take your money and run.

I've been very interested in buying the Phantom and studying up through this blog and elsewhere , but these problems (among some others) are making me hold off for awhile. For nearly $700 I would expect much more in the way of both support response and programming. Question is, just how widespread is this problem since all Phantom owners either don't know about this resouce to voice their experience or choose not to join? Guess I'll wait it out a bit longer to see if the bugs get worked out.

My Phantom arrived yesterday! Very excited to get it put together and take my first flights. I've watched all the videos, printed out the manual and read it while waiting for delivery.

Took the phantom out for its maiden flight and all it would do is flop on to its left side before even becoming airborne....
I downloaded the drivers and software, connected the copter and recalibrated it. It flew beautifully I just did a short flight at about 10 ft altitude about the front yard to get a feel for the Phantom.

Then I attempted to reconnect to turn on the IOC, but no USB recognition! Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, etc but nothing worked. The Phantom still flew fine, but the USB was dead. Amazon had me return it this morning for a full refund.

I went ahead and ordered another through Amazon, but this time through an authorized DJI distributer.
Hopefully I'll have better luck with the second Phantom.

so have any of you tried to open the phantom case to make sure the cable did not just come loose?

socman said:
so have any of you tried to open the phantom case to make sure the cable did not just come loose?

A new Phantom, open up and check connection. That would make a case for returning a new product unmolested difficult. I did stick a long narrow wood dowel entering from the battery door and pressed down on the cable. Didn't work.

Nik

socman said:

I thought about it, went as far as getting the tools to open the case, but then realized that might void getting a refund on it.

So I searched the forums, found that this was a common enough problem that several forums had threads on the topic. Some had opened their Phantoms and found a disconnected cable, others could see no visible issue, and still had a dead USB port.

Amazon was quick to refund my money, and I ordered the replacement from DroneFly.com (via Amazon) at 2:15 yesterday afternoon, free shipping, and tracking shows that it is out for delivery today! I can't complain about that.

TickTock said:
and after researching tried to unstick it my slapping the side of the craft. When I did this, the USB stopped functioning and now it behaves exactly like the first Phantom I got (no machine even recognizes it). Am I just unlucky or does this machine have a very fragile USB.

Make a mental note not to trust information from "researching" that advises using the armstrong method to fix fragile electronics.
icon_fryingpan_zpsf152050a.gif

Racklefratz said:
TickTock said:
and after researching tried to unstick it my slapping the side of the craft. When I did this, the USB stopped functioning and now it behaves exactly like the first Phantom I got (no machine even recognizes it). Am I just unlucky or does this machine have a very fragile USB.

Make a mental note not to trust information from "researching" that advises using the armstrong method to fix fragile electronics.
icon_fryingpan_zps9b67d3f0.gif
True. But it *did* fix the compass error! ;)

I'm having the same problem right out of the box no USB connection, I've never been able to fly it since I get one green light then multiple green lights which means the IMU needs calibration. The other foolish thing I did besides buying this was I purchased it in January and haven't tried flying it until now which means it's out of warranty without being used....my own fault but for $700 I figured it would work...the dealer thru Amazon has yet to respond to my queries...I've tried three different computers...this is inexcusable to produce and then not support the product. My advice look somewhere else for a Quadcopter until DJI offers better support.

If it is any reassurance to anyone,
I and my friends have bought 3 new Phantoms between us, and have had no problems whatsoever, except me, who flew into a tree and it took a while and a bit of trial and error to get the accellerometer in the Naza to reset. In any event, If a unit is faulty out of the box, the dealer should replace it no questions asked, if they are a dji official dealer. Dont you have the same customer protection laws in your country as we have in the UK?

howardmaryon said:
Dont you have the same customer protection laws in your country as we have in the UK?

That would be a difficult question to answer without knowing what the UK laws are.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj