FPVLR VS. DBS

Ahh, post 321, -- lets keep this going awhile--:D:D:D With all that experience without incident-- it would probably be ok flying around a major airport, because there is little risk that the Phantom would be involved with a mid air-- after all there is lots of airspace up there. and maybe the FAA would be lenient -- Or how about downtown Manhatten or any major city -- this would probably work if a person had enough experience. Go for it:D:D:D -- what's it going to hurt?

Experience is not going to make up for the inevitable, that unknown battery issue or that magnetic interference that was never there before or the hawk or bird that happened to be nesting close by and didn't want any incursions to close to the nest-- Oh yes, my friend, they do come down, regardless of the amount of experience a person racks up. Is it going to kill or injure anyone, probably not, Is it going to infringe someone's privacy or property probably yes, Will it be violation of existing laws or regulation, probably yes or will be in the near future because we all keep pushing the envelope with small UAV aircraft . This hobby or small business will be regulated out of existence if we as operators don't stop seeing how far we can push the envelope. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but we will all live to see it happen, even us old guys.

Cheers
Perhaps you missed the part about not flying recklessly...:rolleyes:
Sure, stuff happens. Stuff happens to real planes, too. Over 95% of all incidents are due to inexperience and pilot error. Stuff happens to cars, as well. You do know that more people are killed in car accidents than plane crashes? Maybe we should limit car driving to just around the block and under 25 mph because it's safer, or go back to riding tricycles. Fearmongering isn't helping. There isn't even one single documented incident of a hobby drone fatality. Let's stop making them up! That isn't helping either!:eek:

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Only trolls have more than one profile . More along chump !!
I can vouch for "unknown caller". I've followed most of his live flight on Flytrex's Live app or the Web. I've also messaged him about the flights and he always tells it like it is and has been open on the equipment he uses.

Methinks you need to be be careful on maligning someone on the forum. He is not exaggerating on his flights nor lying about his equipment as one of his associates has also confirmed that he modified a P3 for him.

I can vouch for "unknown caller". I've followed most of his live flight on Flytrex's Live app or the Web. I've also messaged him about the flights and he always tells it like it is and has been open on the equipment he uses.

Methinks you need to be be careful on maligning someone on the forum. He is not exaggerating on his flights nor lying about his equipment as one of his associates has also confirmed that he modified a P3 for him.
Methinks you should read the whole thread before posting comments !

Perhaps you missed the part about not flying recklessly...:rolleyes:
Sure, stuff happens. Stuff happens to real planes, too. Over 95% of all incidents are due to inexperience and pilot error. Stuff happens to cars, as well. You do know that more people are killed in car accidents than plane crashes? Maybe we should limit car driving to just around the block and under 25 mph because it's safer, or go back to riding tricycles. Fearmongering isn't helping. There isn't even one single documented incident of a hobby drone fatality. Let's stop making them up! That isn't helping either!:eek:
no one is making anything up-- the news media and the government don't talk about auto fatalities, the seldom ever make the national news-- people flying UAVs are high profile-- and that ain't fear mongering-- it is just pure fact-- For those who want to push against the regs-- knock your self out-- it's a free ride at this time-- enjoy it while you can.

no one is making anything up-- the news media and the government don't talk about auto fatalities, the seldom ever make the national news-- people flying UAVs are high profile-- and that ain't fear mongering-- it is just pure fact-- For those who want to push against the regs-- knock your self out-- it's a free ride at this time-- enjoy it while you can.
Sure they are! Every time someone says, what if [insert absurd hypothetical here] were to happen? Everyone assumes that scenario must happen a lot, or why would one even be bringing it up? Yet, there is not one single documented hobby drone caused fatality! The purported near miss drone sightings that "looked like a trash can" at 6,000 feet over LAX reported by the FAA are creating mass hysteria. That is fear mongering by the media and our own forum members, who only quote the number of near misses quoted, and never bother to look at the details. I am enjoying my "free ride." There are no regs currently for hobby flying, as long as you aren't reckless! :cool:

Will the FPVLR plug into the cables that came with DBS?

It seems like once you install the cables inside the controller and close it up, the external cables can be used for other antennas like FPVLR.
I would love to know the answer to this question myself.......anyone?

images

The RP-SMA female pictured above is pretty much standard coming out of any RC controller or even a router. Your standard antenna end would look like the RP-SMA Male above and it'll screw right in. It's a conventional fit.

When you add amps and stuff it begins to get more complicated...

Last edited:
I installed my DBS antenna yesterday and flew it. I was disappointed to find that the signal went out around the same distance as the stock antenna.

I live in suburbia with trees and other interfering stuff so maybe it's just my location.
I just installed a DBS on my P3P and got almost twice the distance in the trees. I did notice that turning my bird 180 degrees and flying in reverse helped a lot with the signal for some reason.

I just installed a DBS on my P3P and got almost twice the distance in the trees. I did notice that turning my bird 180 degrees and flying in reverse helped a lot with the signal for some reason.
It has to do with the orientation of the antennas of the quad.

It has to do with the orientation of the antennas of the quad.
Yes, sometimes just yawing the aircraft in place can often restore a lost FPV signal, but best to start with more elevation first. When flying perpendicular to your LOS to the bird, one direction or the other will generally be better for signal strength. It varies from bird to bird, as during assembly, the individual assembler chooses on which leg to place each antenna, without rhyme or reason!

What kind of distance did you get when not flying backwards. I have both antennas and have only seen a minor increase in rang around obstacles. In open areas, it was slightly better, but not the miles that some are reporting

What kind of distance did you get when not flying backwards. I have both antennas and have only seen a minor increase in rang around obstacles. In open areas, it was slightly better, but not the miles that some are reporting
You need boosters, too, if you want the best performance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj