FPVLR VS. DBS

Reaction score
What's your thoughts? Considering both but am swaying towards the FPVLR v.2.

There was a guy named Freddy on Facebook. Join the phantom 3 group. He did a test with the FPVLR, DBS, 7 dbi and 9 dbi antennas.

Best was
1. 9 dbi
2. 7 dbi
3. DBS
4. FPVLR.

I'll try to cut and past the data

Last edited:
Is DBS shut down? I have sent emails to the website and private address with no response.

Freddy Del RosarioFinally we have some results.
For this test I chose locations where I wouldn't be able to go super far, not like the ocean or flat land because with some of these antennas I would basically run out of battery before I would ran out of signal, so I chose a location where there range would be greatly reduced by interference. The range differences between each antenna was not far apart from each other but when it comes to value they are way apart.

1st Place: 9dbi 14" Omni Directional antennas. $25
2nd Place: 7dbi 7" Omni Directional antennas. $23
3rd Place: DBS Directionals $109
4TH Place: FPVLR Directionals $174

The difference between each antennas:

FPVLR Vs DBS: DBS was the winner. It went 600ft. out more than FPVLR, but where the DBS really took the lead was in flying around and behind me. The FPVLR went a little over 500ft. before it lost complete signal. The DBS went 1,800ft.. before it lost signal.

DBS Vs 7dbi 7" Omni: The 7dbi won by 400ft. And flying behind me went 2200ft. 400ft. More then the DBS

9dbi 14" Omni Antenna went:
1400ft. More then 7dbi
1,800ft. More then DBS
2400ft. More then FPVLR

Videos of all the flights will be handed over to Curtis for editing and shown at a later date.The amount of time it has taken to do this has been a long one. So please be patient.

Thanks for your support guys,

Taken from Facebook phantom 3 owners group

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Is DBS shut down? I have sent emails to the website and private address with no response.
The website is up and running.

@FPVLR refrain from posting non-related claims about others. The post made about the comparison is only one mans opinion. He may be right or wrong but we will never know as he did not tell us how he arrived at his conclusion or even how the conditions were replicated for each test, etc. It is all hearsay. Your sales speak for themselves, don't let a bit of text get you so worked up.

I don't know his background. I would like to see a comparison. Why don't you do one with the DBS.

Guys here's the SWR meter testing the 9dbi omni,
we did this yesterday to verify the silly claims. Also we tested on HP Agilent Spectrum analyzer and the gain is ridiculously low because of the high reflected power.
See for yourself rather than believing someone like that. BTW I can provide all proof in private as well so you understand who you are dealing with.

Your illustration means as much to me as this means to you. I know what all these do. Do you? My point is, without an explanation, pointless

Surgical_Instruments_401x439.jpg

Reactions: Justin Namon
Ok,

ok, so I can tell you the left needle is forward power, the right needle is reflected power. Where they meet you have a SWR reading.A well matched antenna (one that is radiating most of the rf power ) will have a SWR below 1.5:1 at the measured frequency. This one is terribly matched so it reflects power back into the transmitter overheating the final stage and ultimately destroying it.
Gotcha. And I believe you

Reactions: FPVLR
I'm also going to say to the OP. What is your goal? Have you tested your unit stock to see what you get? I fly manual on the transmitter and put it on the lowest bar. Happens to be channel 20. I lower the transmission rate as low as it will go and I get easy 15,000'. My longest is 16,000. These add ons help in obstructed areas. Open line of site like over fields and farmland, easy 15,000 feet.

I get 3700 feet in my neighborhood with trees and homes all around as well as other wifi. So, I move around my neighborhood if I want to go see other stuff. So, the question is application. What are you trying to do. What have you tried and tested? Is it worth cracking open your transmitter. Sure, you can pay someone I guess. For me, 15,000 feet puts me with about 10-12 percent left on the battery if I do it under nominal windy conditions. I recommend you go play and see what you get and then decide.

Regardless of swr or anything else it would be hard to believe two omni directional antennas out performing two well designed directional antennas. Antennas do not magically increase power, they only direct it. Of course there are things to consider like effeciency and of course proper resonance.

Not to mention there is advantages to having rejection off the back and sides to eliminate WiFi interference.

I have ran fvplr on the V+ and DBS on the P3 and there is no way omni directional antennas will compare.

SWR matters a lot when it involves readings of 2.75. Amplified systems will give higher readings as well.

There needs to be a non biased person involved with displaying swr readings if they are going to be used as performance or a selling point. It is real easy to show false readouts. I'm not saying anyone here is a cheat, just there is simple ways to cheat the reading as where the test itself is taken. Btw, you don't test swr indoors either. Nor do you test with any wrenches laid across antenna leads.

Yes the important of any of this is not using any setup with high swr. The next part is "Bang for your Buck. If the dbsmods.com antenna can fly Further then what a fully charged battery allows round-trip, and if it is the least expensive setup, then why pay more for unusable performance.

SWR matters a lot when it involves readings of 2.75. Amplified systems will give higher readings as well.

There needs to be a non biased person involved with displaying swr readings if they are going to be used as performance or a selling point. It is real easy to show false readouts. I'm not saying anyone here is a cheat, just there is simple ways to cheat the reading as where the test itself is taken. Btw, you don't test swr indoors either. Nor do you test with any wrenches laid across antenna leads.

Yes the important of any of this is not using any setup with high swr. The next part is "Bang for your Buck. If the dbsmods.com antenna can fly Further then what a fully charged battery allows round-trip, and if it is the least expensive setup, then why pay more for unusable performance.
That's a Very good point. Battery will limit long distance return. Why would you pay for longer distance if battery is a limiting factor? Like I said, Battery level was really depleted after a 30,000 foot round trip (15,000 out). Both devices should give you better obstructed flight. Personally. I'd go for the cheapest option if I wanted to do this. But I don't. The light bridge is exceptional as is. And with the channel hack, I've got lots of channels to choose from

That's a Very good point. Battery will limit long distance return. Why would you pay for longer distance if battery is a limiting factor? Like I said, Battery level was really depleted after a 30,000 foot round trip (15,000 out). Both devices should give you better obstructed flight. Personally. I'd go for the cheapest option if I wanted to do this. But I don't. The light bridge is exceptional as is. And with the channel hack, I've got lots of channels to choose from

I currently use the 32 and the WindSurfer mod. Several posted 15,000ft+ with it. I have not tried flying over 4000ft yet so.... But I did try numerous times to contact Big Chuck at dbsmods but he doesn't respond. I like his setup because it has that extremely wide beam that reaches the aircraft where as the higher costing setups are known to be more pin-point.

I currently use the 32 and the WindSurfer mod. Several posted 15,000ft+ with it. I have not tried flying over 4000ft yet so.... But I did try numerous times to contact Big Chuck at dbsmods but he doesn't respond. I like his setup because it has that extremely wide beam that reaches the aircraft where as the higher costing setups are known to be more pin-point.

Supp Frank!!

I saw your messages coming in the past couple days but I've been crazy nuts at the backend of this backorder trying to get everything out to paid customers... most new inquiries were ignored for a few days to focus on paid clients and making sure everybody is taken care of.

Everything is shipped and moving toward customers as of end of business day yesterday ... I will catch up outstanding emails today.

As for the antenna selling contest... I don't want to be part of a pissing match about numbers and tech specs that pretty much don't help the average user determine anything anyway.

Just look at the flytrex leader board... and this isn't updated yet... we have another first place flight to post from yesterday morning.
Screenshot_2015-09-03-02-53-26-picsay.png

Our antennas sell themselves...

FLY SAFE OUT THERE GUYS!!

Reactions: Kmullins87
hello everybody/friends, since we are at the same domain/hobby, guys, first i would like to tell you that i did fly my p3p more than 3 times for a real long distance, i mean 3000-4000m with a 200m altitude and my signal still very very strong (90% rc, 100% fpv on fpv p3 on iOS mini 3), the question is with respect to dbs and fpvlr, do we really need more than this insane distance, and if yes are we really safe from battery failure or insufficient power ... fly safe .. thanks
here is an entertaining movie (3200m max distance 200m max altitude) ...

Hey Frank I don't know this for a fact because most my antennas start at about 100' long!

However I am thinking it's probably safe to do swr checks indoors at 2.4ghz. A wave length is very small so it's quite easy to maintain several wave lengths distance from objects.

If I am going to keep playing with antennas at this frequency I might need to upgrade my antenna analyzers to something that will handle 2.4.

Hey Frank I don't know this for a fact because most my antennas start at about 100' long!

However I am thinking it's probably safe to do swr checks indoors at 2.4ghz. A wave length is very small so it's quite easy to maintain several wave lengths distance from objects.

If I am going to keep playing with antennas at this frequency I might need to upgrade my antenna analyzers to something that will handle 2.4.

Not sure why or what the benefit to testing an antenna indoors would be? We do our flying outside where the elements are at. Results would tend to be misleading unless taken in the same environment.

Not sure why or what the benefit to testing an antenna indoors would be? We do our flying outside where the elements are at. Results would tend to be misleading unless taken in the same environment.

No benefit except convenience of air conditioning, coffee pot and a test bench. All my priorities :)

I think for SWR it would be fine though. I also think 2.75:1 SWR can't be the norm for dipoles. Thats insane.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj