FPVLR Stage 4 troubles.

No I flew the way pictured. Was asked to do that by Tony at Fpvlr. I figure he must have a reason. I sent him the same picture before I flew to make sure I was doing exactly what he wanted. After that test flight he had me move the cable from the half coil antenna to the top connection and fly again. I got the same results. And reported it back to him. I'll keep updating since everyone has been nice enough to help me on here too.

scoot I had the same issue with my stage 2 kit with only getting 1500-1700 feet. Tony had me switch antennas etc. He even modified a second wifi extender for me. Thinking it was my install that was bad. I still only got 1500-1700 ft
I upgraded to the stage 4 kit thinking it was the area I live in. Now I get 2200 feet without the boosters.

I was doing all my problem solving in 15-20 degree weather. Now that its nice 50-60 degree I am going to try some more experimenting. I ordered some 90 degree cables for the boosters hoping that will clean things up. I am also going to try the suggestion of cleaning up the connections as noted in an earlier post. I have taken the cables/ antennas apart a few times so that might help ha!

Tony was very helpful with me. I think its just hard trying to problem solve when the only feed back one gets is how many feet till loss of connection.

Reactions: Scoot-Scoot
I agree completely. I'm hoping for this to work out too. I live in Missouri and the weather is getting just perfect for flying.

Rotorwash tonight after doing another test flight I tried to attach the rg316 cables to amps and over tightened one end. Pushing the cable out. So now I need to either have tony send me another or order one myself. I'm getting pretty frustrated now and I've let Tony know.

Anon-e that's what I would like to achieve shortly. I'm hopeful that FPVLR will get this corrected.
Flew with antennas only per FPVLR asking me to. I made it 1500 feet distance at 175ft. Before signal broke. Waiting to hear back now. Here's a pic of how I flew tonight. View attachment 17165

you should have sent it to the guy in MN (cough...cough) where Anon-e had it done LOL...

Scoot, do you have a multimeter or an ohm meter. you can do a simple measurement
to diagnose a problem either with an antenna or on the SMA connectors.
let me know, i'll walk you through what to do.

hani

Yes Hunch. I'm starting to agree completely. Getting some messages from a few who are in agreement with you. Tony said he would send me one and, I've ordered a couple off the web. Tony thinks I shouldn't be upset with my $700 upgrade not working. So I'm stuck doing the diagnosing. Since he's not willing to take it back and get it working. If I had seen this kind of thread before I ordered I believe I would have gone elsewhere. I know some people have had good luck with FPVLR and that's great. But I sure haven't. Thank you very much for the offer and when my cable comes I will take you up on your offer.

Don't give up. Be careful sticking a Multi meter on the inputs of those amps. Check carefully all the cables - the pins etc. Have you got access to someone with a ImmersionRC RF wattmeter? With a RF watt meter you could get an idea of the outputs. My own impression is that you got a problem with the basic Controller / Wifi outputs as you are getting only 1300 feet. You should get at least 4000 feet with stage 2. If you are not getting this the amps won't be much help.

I tested DBS phantom Itelite flat panel and got 4800 feet. No bird side mods. You should be getting near this range with the stage 2 antennas or you got a bad setup.

Thanks Mohan. I'm sure I'll get it working somehow. But more than likely it will be from your guys kind help on here. I'm kinda shocked when I asked him to take it back and get it working he declined.

Too bad.. looks like you will need to trouble shoot.

Are you able to disassemble the RC controller and wifi extender carefully and take close up photos? This would be the easier option. After that you would have to take the top off the phantom.

Have you got the tools to do this?

I'm hoping Tony will have a change of heart. He belongs to this forum and I keep thinking it would be easier for him to fix his install than having people realize he won't fix his faulty install.

Tony you might read a few more of the comments. I explained to a user Named Hunch that you were sending me one. And that I had purchased 2 more online. And yes I would gladly return this non working stage 4 but I'm in it then over a $150 in shipping. I know this kit "can" work. I know even someone as perfect as yourself can make mistakes on electronics. All I want is a working kit. Weather it's you that get it working or someone I pay to do it. When it works properly I'll be the first one to let everyone know. For that's all I want and paid for.

Sorry Tony no flying today had rain in Missouri. I will try in a very flat area I know of tomorrow and report back to you.

Reactions: hunch
I'm happy to say today was a good flight using Tony's antennas, no amplifiers connected. And flew 3400 feet on one battery charge and 3550 feet on the 2nd battery pack. That was at 375 feet high. My next question is when my battery connector comes in from Tony, Do I need to have the 2.4GHz amplifier ran to certain antennas on my controller. And the 5.8GHz amplifier ran to another? Before when I received the kit and no instructions I ran the amps without knowing where they should go. And thought that might possibly help.

View attachment 17120 View attachment 17119 View attachment 17118 View attachment 17116 Received my installed Stage 4 FPVLR kit yesterday in the mail. Kept loosing connection and camera will not pan up and down anymore. At first I sent pics to Fpvlr asking for help. After saying my 2.4 and 5.8 antennas were installed on wrong side I switched them. But still no longer have any camera control. Any help would be appreciated
I may be new at this BUT I think you have them hooked up wrong. The semi-dome is the 2.4gHZ and the Helix is the 5.8gHZ. The pictures looks like you have hook up the Helix to the extender (2.4).

I may be new at this BUT I think you have them hooked up wrong. The semi-dome is the 2.4gHZ and the Helix is the 5.8gHZ. The pictures looks like you have hook up the Helix to the extender (2.4).

Yea I see the same. Helix to one side of amp and other side to wifi.

I'm waiting to hear back from Tony. I sent him a email earlier telling him I had a good flight today and if that was a possibility. I don't have them still attached to my remote or I would double check.

Control side should be like this.

control.jpg

I'm happy to say today was a good flight using Tony's antennas, no amplifiers connected. And flew 3400 feet on one battery charge and 3550 feet on the 2nd battery pack. That was at 375 feet high. My next question is when my battery connector comes in from Tony, Do I need to have the 2.4GHz amplifier ran to certain antennas on my controller. And the 5.8GHz amplifier ran to another? Before when I received the kit and no instructions I ran the amps without knowing where they should go. And thought that might possibly help.
Yes 5.8 goes to the Helix and 2.4 goes to the little dome

Make sure the connectors are plugged in the right way around as well between controller, wifi, amps and antennas

Thank you guys very much. Now I'm getting excited to get my cable and get it hooked back up.

Got to say, Tony's antennas hooked me up. I have only a stage 2 (no bird side) and I get great video at 2500 feet here in dense NJ. I had it up in Canada on a lake and got 5100 feet. Also in Stowe, I got about a 3800 with intermittent video chop. Lately I haven't gone for distance so much, but at closer ranges the 640 X480 30 fps preview is SOLID with the FPVLR stage 2 setup.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl