Fpvlr expectations

Reaction score
I understand how noobish it is to ask the range for an antenna as there are several factors such as humidity, interference, etc. But with the fpvlr antennas on a BP diversity and immersion rc with the fpvlr antenna. Would my fpv range exceed control range?
Also, is the control range on the p2v /p2v+ better or worse when compared to the 2.4 Ghz control on the P2 (non vision)?

Re: Fpvlr expectations

Assuming all other things are equal, typically lower frequency radio waves exhibit less attenuation in free air than higher frequency radio waves. There are many other factors involved in this so this generalization really only applies when all other factors are considered equal.

2.4GHz and 5.8GHz frequencies are considered ultra-/super-high frequencies and are relatively subject to attenuation, so I’m not sure if the above generalization would show anything more than a negligible difference anyways. Someone else may be able to chime in on this with some kind of quantitative evidence.

I have a feeling that the bottleneck of radiowave transmission for our phantoms will not be based on the frequency utilized (either 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz), but more on the quantity of nearby interference, line of sight and, very importantly, the quality of the antennae -- the list goes on.

If you’re looking at FPVLR to supply your antennae, this may be a suitable P2V/P2V+ option (pilot side only): http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=103

Check with FPVLR for your specific needs when it comes to antennae and connector types.

Totally unrelated, however, I am pleased to share this unit conversion with you given our recent encounter: meters x 3.28 = feet ;)

andersonpaac said:
I understand how noobish it is to ask the range for an antenna as there are several factors such as humidity, interference, etc. But with the fpvlr antennas on a BP diversity and immersion rc with the fpvlr antenna. Would my fpv range exceed control range?
Also, is the control range on the p2v /p2v+ better or worse when compared to the 2.4 Ghz control on the P2 (non vision)?

The higher the frequency the more line of site the signal. It will also take more power to get the same distance on 5.8 as opposed to 2.4. That is fact.

I bought the P2 specifically because of the 2.4 controller. I would rather lose video before I loose control of the Quad. I have had this happen before and just switched to HL and brought it back in video range. My P2 set of antennas from FPVLR will arrive tomorrow. I am hoping they will give me more range that the Boscam antennas I am using now.

I am sure the 5.8 control frequency is ok but I would rather have 2.4 any day for control.

tferrari said:
Assuming all other things are equal, typically lower frequency radio waves exhibit less attenuation in free air than higher frequency radio waves. There are many other factors involved in this so this generalization really only applies when all other factors are considered equal.

2.4GHz and 5.8GHz frequencies are considered ultra-/super-high frequencies and are relatively subject to attenuation, so I’m not sure if the above generalization would show anything more than a negligible difference anyways. Someone else may be able to chime in on this with some kind of quantitative evidence.

I have a feeling that the bottleneck of radiowave transmission for our phantoms will not be based on the frequency utilized (either 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz), but more on the quantity of nearby interference, line of sight and, very importantly, the quality of the antennae -- the list goes on.

If you’re looking at FPVLR to supply your antennae, this may be a suitable P2V/P2V+ option (pilot side only): http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=103

Check with FPVLR for your specific needs when it comes to antennae and connector types.

Totally unrelated, however, I am pleased to share this unit conversion with you given our recent encounter: meters x 3.28 = feet ;)
Haha, thanks for the input. I'm hoping to do at least 1 km out for control and equivalent for video

Haha, thanks for the input. I'm hoping to do at least 1 km out for control and equivalent for video

Unless you have a lot of interference, you should have no problem. I use that exact setup (FPVLR, BP monitor, ImmersionRC 600) and usually get a perfect video signal at 1 km with my helix antenna pointed at it. The pinwheel antenna FPVLR makes also works at an impressive distance. It isn't until I get very far out that I start using the helix antenna. I always loose the 2.4 ghz control and RTH kicks in before loosing video.

Redwood said:

Unless you have a lot of interference, you should have no problem. I use that exact setup (FPVLR, BP monitor, ImmersionRC 600) and usually get a perfect video signal at 1 km with my helix antenna pointed at it. The pinwheel antenna FPVLR makes also works at an impressive distance. It isn't until I get very far out that I start using the helix antenna. I always loose the 2.4 ghz control and RTH kicks in before loosing video.
I see, in that case did you consider going dragon link or boosting your control signal for further range?

I see, in that case did you consider going dragon link or boosting your control signal for further range?

I've thought about it but it's not often I loose control signal and RTH kicks in. The few times it's happen recently I was getting ready to bring her back anyways. I've been impressed with the range I get with the stock controller.

Redwood said:

I've thought about it but it's not often I loose control signal and RTH kicks in. The few times it's happen recently I was getting ready to bring her back anyways. I've been impressed with the range I get with the stock controller.

I see , do you know how the control range on the P2V+ fairs vs the control range on the P2(Non-Vision)

andersonpaac said:
Redwood said:

I see , do you know how the control range on the P2V+ fairs vs the control range on the P2(Non-Vision)

Look at my first post in this thread and that should answer your question.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl