FPVLR dipoles absolutely AMAZING

I've since sold my p2v+ with that setup for a p3 pro with the dbs itelite antenna (crazy range ) but the itelite antenna with 3 amps and the fpvlr can do 3 miles . There's a couple guys who have gone further with the same setup. What kind of set up are using now?
Fpvlr both ends . No amps. Cant get the vision + past 10,000' in a path that put me on leaderboard with p2 and will hit 3 miles with p3 ( only turning around at 3 cause flytex is weeks behind on shipping , guess its pointless to pay them x-tra for 3-5 day mail)
I try to reach max on all my birds w/out amps not that i couldn't use 'em
Nice swappin flights, happy flyin

Have a new record on my P2V+ using ITELITE panels with FPVLR dipoles.16648 feet (more than 3 miles). Still had good control and signal when I decided to turn around due to battery limitations. No boosters by the way.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441944535.973237.jpg

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Hi guys. New to the forum. My GPS antenna has recently cracked so I was thinking that I may as well upgrade to this itellite antenna.

Anybody know where I can purchase this? Thanks, Ben

It is available at dbsmods.com

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Hi guys. New to the forum. My GPS antenna has recently cracked so I was thinking that I may as well upgrade to this itellite antenna.

Anybody know where I can purchase this? Thanks, Ben
What do you mean when you say GPS antenna ben?

Have a new record on my P2V+ using ITELITE panels with FPVLR dipoles.16648 feet (more than 3 miles). Still had good control and signal when I decided to turn around due to battery limitations. No boosters by the way. View attachment 30334
Are you using the 5.8 dipoles for the control signal that's where I'm having the problem my Wi-Fi set up a strong my control won't go past 10,000 feet I've definitely had my eye on that set up

Sorry I got confused. I've since discovered that it's my GPS patch that has cracked and have the issue with. New to drone technology ha
I have an x-tra 4 mm puck if you want it. Got to solder it on or have a buddy who solders do it

Are you using the 5.8 dipoles for the control signal that's where I'm having the problem my Wi-Fi set up a strong my control won't go past 10,000 feet I've definitely had my eye on that set up
Hi dirtybum, yes I have the 5.8 dipoles and they do help. Was only able to fly 15343 feet prior to this latest personal record.

I installed the 5.8 and 2.4 dipoles this weekend. Had some issues with one of them when I tightened it down the fitting came off the antenna as if the c-clip wasn't locked in. This happened early in the weekend and I sent an email to FPVLR. I went ahead & tried to fix it while waiting for a response. I got the c-clip locked back in but while moving it around I had one wire in the antenna break. Later I got a response from FPVLR suggesting I get a new rg-402 connector and solder it on. I mounted my 4 dipoles 2 on either side of my bird each at a 90 degree from the other. They clear the gimbal and aren't in the way of the camera but make it a pain to use the gimbal lock and to get to the sd card. They also seem pretty fragile after easily breaking the one earlier. I'm now waiting for another 5.8 receiver to reinstall the factory bird setup and remove the dipoles.

Can someone shed some light on what's the optimal antenna placement / orientation for these dipoles antenna from FPVLR?

I've gather some pictures of the various configuration I saw from this site here. Anyone know which one is the right one?

Configuration 1: This has the antenna running parallel to the skid. I believe this is not the optimal unless the bird is directly above you from rrmccabe.
20150605_111019.jpg

Configuration 2: This is what I understood from FPVLR (Tony) from post #42.
IMG_0153.JPG

Configuration 2: view from behind.
IMG_0154.JPG

Configuration 3: This is the other way that can be interpreted from FPVLR (Tony)from post #42. Where the antenna forms a perpendicular angle to the landing skid but at a 45 degree angle to the vertical axis.
IMG_0477.JPG

Configuration 4: I don't have a picture for this, but this is essentially where 1 side is configure to be like configuration 2, and the other side is configure to be like configuration 3 orientation.

From what I can gather from this thread, I think configuration 1 is the least optimal. However, between 2, 3, and 4, what's the best way to orientate these dipole antenna? I did some trial run of configuration 2, 3, and 4 and it seems like #4 gives me the best results, but that could just be I was aiming better.

Help, anyone?

FPVLR Dipoles:
  • The configuration shown below has worked, overall, the best.
Vertical Orientation:
  • The dipoles oriented vertically is the overall best configuration.
  • The drone is tilted as it cruises downrange. That means the dipoles are also tilted.
  • When the control signal is finally lost, then stopping the drone will orient the dipoles back to an ideal vertical orientation. This increases radio reception back at the operator control point; just when you need the extra boost.
Horizontal Orientation:
  • Orienting the dipoles horizontally creates RF weak spots as the drone is rotated.
Demo Video:
Using the dipoles with my Repeater-Helper Drone system gets my Camera-Worker Drone out to 1.2 miles, AT GROUND LEVEL, with any other modifications. No real need for any of those controller antenna modifications.

This video demonstrates:

FPVLR Dipoles 1.jpg
FPVLR Dipoles 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks garrock!!

The craft tiling forward while moving forward bit is interesting. Would it make sense for the antenna to be pointing completely vertical as you have it and have the antenna pointing toward the back at a 45 degree angle pointing "toward the ground"? That way, when the quad is moving away from you, the 45 degree antenna tilt will offset the quad tiling forward?

Last edited:
That appears to make logical sense assuming the drone has a Front and a Back. However, we know that the camera nose can point in any direction when out for a fly.

Also, which speed-tilt-angle would you choose to hard fix one of the dipole orientations?

And too, the dipole effective field strength will not be omni directional. The field strength will have lobes (possibly loss or gain lobes) due to interaction with the drone itself.

The Demo Video I posted demonstrates when deep downrange, the operator can point the camera nose in any direction.

Deep downrange at the fringe of reception is where it counts when choosing on-drone antenna location and orientation.

Reactions: yawnalot29
Got my 2.4 dioples and they are a dream!!!! I was getting 14,000+ ft with itelite & fpvlr planers on a good day. Now with these dipoles i can get that much easily anytime, and get this, on the highest preview setting! And so far it seems that they are slightly more aero dynamic than other setups allowing me to get thatfar with slightly less battery than before. I got the thicker black ones & my buddy ordered at exact same time and got the thinner blue ones . Ask for the black ones. They both work the same but black ones r stronger and look cooler

Reactions: Extreme24
Got my 2.4 dioples and they are a dream!!!! I was getting 14,000+ ft with itelite & fpvlr planers on a good day. Now with these dipoles i can get that much easily anytime, and get this, on the highest preview setting! And so far it seems that they are slightly more aero dynamic than other setups allowing me to get thatfar with slightly less battery than before. I got the thicker black ones & my buddy ordered at exact same time and got the thinner blue ones . Ask for the black ones. They both work the same but black ones r stronger and look cooler
do you use a booster

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl